Thinking of buying a switch need some info. (NOT A TRAP)

palaeomerus

I have no idea what Scarlett is, or what PS4 Pro Pro is and I just want some old fashioned Marioness.

I see Switch for $300 generally and if I get one a friend of mine is also planning to get one and he's asking questions and I don't know since I gave my aunt (cousin really but older than me) my Wii U (she collects game systems and older games)  and kind of moved on from Nintendo for a while. Looking at the sales stuff on Amazon and such I still have some questions. I'm not finding any recent "get to know the switch" type articles that show me what I want to know so, here I am. 

What I want to know is  :

1. Is there a cost for playing online and how much if so?

2. Storage seems tight so what are best storage options? A 1 TB MicroSD is a few hundred bucks according to Best Buy so any alternatives?

3. Is keeping the controllers charged a big deal or a hassle and should I get a charger and if so, how much? Will I likely want some other alternative controller or are the two slide on mini controller good enough for most players?

4. is the main unit durable?

5. Is the dock durable?

6. Does wireless work reliably?

7. Any know common troubles getting the thing on wireless 

8. How does Online co-op work? Is it easy to link up to someone you know? Are there many games that use this? 

Thanks for any info you can give me. Again this is serious list of no bullshit not a trap questions I have. 

Gets some quick while I'm in my way home...

1. Yes, $20 a year. It also includes a bunch of NES games

2. Just grab a 400GB card on Amazon or something and call it a day. More storage seems nice, but faster storage loads games faster and you want that.

3. Get a Pro controller if you plan to play on a TV. If you aren't, you don't really have to bother yourself with a Pro. I've never had the joy-cons die in me but not have my Switch also dead.

4. Like any good Nintendo portable.

5. Yes, but don't charge your phone with the USB-C cable the dick ships with. That will kill your dock's power brick.

6. Wireless is OK. If you don't have a very good WiFi setup at home, the Switch isn't going to do you any favors. It's fine/passable.

7. Nope

8. Eh... Friends codes and Facebook. It's really easy if you have Facebook and Twitter linked to your Switch.

9. Only if it's been ported to the Switch as a "new" game.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also can you play games from previous Nintendo console gens?

Kinda. With the online subscription service, you get a bunch of NES games to play (with online multiplayer added). 

Otherwise, you're stuck playing whatever games get officially ported to the Switch, like the games in the Mega Man Legacy Collection and the recently released Castlevania Collection and Contra Collection

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Sounds like those rumors are wrong. If they had plans on releasing new models this year they would have shown them at E3.

Nope. You don’t need e3 to announce a refresh. This has happened many times with Nintendo in handhelds.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Kinda. With the online subscription service, you get a bunch of NES games to play (with online multiplayer added). 

Otherwise, you're stuck playing whatever games get officially ported to the Switch, like the games in the Mega Man Legacy Collection and the recently released Castlevania Collection and Contra Collection

Thanks. I wasn't sure how their online service worked. Do they port their older first party games?

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Wait, was this a serious question?

yes it was... WTF do i know about Nintendo and how their ecosystem works? I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the Gamecube and If I remember correctly, that wasn't even online. There are some older Nintendo games I'm curious about which would make buying a Switch more enticing for me. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Thanks. I wasn't sure how their online service worked. Do they port their older first party games?

yes it was... WTF do i know about Nintendo and how their ecosystem works? I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the Gamecube and If I remember correctly, that wasn't even online. There are some older Nintendo games I'm curious about which would make buying a Switch more enticing for me. 

I usually just research stuff if I'm considering buying it. No, Nintendo doesn't offer BC with the Switch. You get access to some NES stuff if you pay the $20 yearly for the online, but it's not really a huge selling point. Other than that, it's just ports here and there, much like the other consoles have.

It just seemed like a surprising question. 

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How old are we talking? Because they do have some old Nintendo arcade games available to download from the eShop.

So far, no first party SNES/N64/GCN/Wii ports. At least...not yet!

14 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

How old are we talking? Because they do have some old Nintendo arcade games available to download from the eShop.

So far, no first party SNES/N64/GCN/Wii ports. At least...not yet!

Mainly Wii and Wii U era... Like I said I had a gamecube and played a lot of the exclusives the system had then. I've played the Switch a couple of times at a friends house with their kids and Mario Kart was pretty fun. I keep trying to convince myself to get a Switch and can't really pull the trigger :p

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Mainly Wii and Wii U era... Like I said I had a gamecube and played a lot of the exclusives the system had then. I've played the Switch a couple of times at a friends house with their kids and Mario Kart was pretty fun. I keep trying to convince myself to get a Switch and can't really pull the trigger :p

Ah, gotcha. Well, the Switch definitely has a bunch of first party ports of Wii U games on it. It has kind of become notorious for it, actually. Ha ha. But if you missed out on some of those games on Wii U, they are certainly worth experiencing for the first time on Switch. 

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Plenty of great Wii U ports, but you're going to pay full price for most of them. 

They're still worth it, though. 

There's plenty on the system to justify a purchase. Don't see much reason for internal struggle at this point. Either the games interest you or they don't. 

57 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Anything worth owning on Wii U has been ported to the Switch, but it's a full blown title not a BC thing.

Or something like Mario Maker 2 which makes Mario Maker 1 obsolete.