Tales of Arise (of a Budget) Trailer

Bacon

I'll have to see more. Zestiria tried to change up the battle system and that was one of the main reasons I never finished it. It made the maps clunky and the item upgrading was way too much busywork.

Does this even have a party system? Does it have separate battles? It looks like some solo action adventure thing. Maybe like they're trying their hand at a Final Fantasy 15 styled game.

Also, the name is really dumb. It's like they couldn't be bothered to make up a word this time, so they just put the general story concept instead.

• 3 months later...

I play pretty much every Tales game and I struggle to think about much of what has made it good lately. I hope they keep skits and stuff, but pretty much everything else I'm open to them reworking (for the better, of course, I doubt anyone wants them to make anything worse) because the combat was never actually good, I found the cooking stuff pretty tedious, and I can't really think of much else besides items and monsters that are unique to Tales games. Mediocre dungeons, I guess? As I read this I wonder why I keep buying them, to be honest.

9 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I play pretty much every Tales game and I struggle to think about much of what has made it good lately. I hope they keep skits and stuff, but pretty much everything else I'm open to them reworking (for the better, of course, I doubt anyone wants them to make anything worse) because the combat was never actually good, I found the cooking stuff pretty tedious, and I can't really think of much else besides items and monsters that are unique to Tales games. Mediocre dungeons, I guess? As I read this I wonder why I keep buying them, to be honest.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm trying to get into Tales of Berseria right now and this combo mechanic just doesn't seem to be responsive enough to be much fun. I basically find myself mashing buttons until something happens. What I meant though were the skits, the character interactions, etc. And while the worlds weren't ever the most unique, I always enjoyed running around in them and exploring the nooks and crannies, and triggering whatever conversations might involve a certain location or character.

I guess what I meant was that I hope they don't trim the fat and make it a short, linear experience with no personality. To me, it's the fat that makes the Tales series enjoyable.