Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If you go with my Barbarian build there is already a good YT video on it and I got some tips and tricks of my own.

If you do Fighter, it is pretty basic, you just play it straight but you'll want to know the best ways to get 20 str to make use of Great Weapon Master at level 4. Which is also true of barbarian. You can easily get 20 STR without wasting feats on Ability Score Improvement. Feats are like an extra special ability you get every 4 levels in a class, not 4 levels overall. Fighter gets like 2 extra feats I think and that makes them even more OP than they already are.

I also recommend eating all your worms like a good boy. Cull the Weak on Barb and Fighter is amazing and that means you'll want to focus all of your worms on your character.

I'm going the barbarian route. In fact I was just going to fire it up. Is it advised to equip weapons you pick up early on?

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think it’s best you got this one on ps5 actually, but if you set up streaming or at least when you get a new router if you do it, you get best of both worlds. One purchase, play it in big screen for big moments, grind in bed while watching tv etc. It’s the bees knees.

Nice. I'll wait for my new router and then read your post about streaming. That would be awesome to do what you explained. 

• Hype 1

55 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm going the barbarian route. In fact I was just going to fire it up. Is it advised to equip weapons you pick up early on?

Weapons don't work like normal games. Like, weapons don't get stronger in the normal ways.

You'll pretty much want to use what is called a +1 great weapon or the fire sword you get off the red devil guy on the ship. Eventually, you'll get +2 weapons and +3 weapons.

For my character, I started out using the Everburn Blade as soon as I left the ship. (Prologue)

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Everburn_Blade

After that, I picked up Jorgoral's Greatsword (Act 1)

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Jorgoral's_Greatsword

My next weapon was a Halberd that you could easily use for the rest of the game. It is a very good weapon. (Act 2)

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Halberd_of_Vigilance

My final weapon was this greatsword. (Act 3)

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Balduran's_Giantslayer - kinda spoilers  if you click but /shrug it's so far away.

Here is a video on the best Barbarian build/My build.

You'll want to set your "stats" aka Abilities to this.

Strength - 17 (15 with a +2 Proficiency Bonus)

Dexterity - 14

Constitution - 16 (15 +1 proficiency bonus)

Int - 8

Wis - 8

Charisma - 8

I'm pretty sure one of those 8s can be a 10 and it's really up to you. Wis and Charisma are the best options. Int isn't really needed at all. You need to get an item called Hag's Hair in Act 1 to get your Strength to 18. You'll wanna look up how to do that, prolly, but it will spoil a whole side quest. And in Act 2 there is a potion you can get that increases your strength by 2. In Act 3 there is another way to increase your strength to 22.

Some great Act 1 items you want for your character are these

Haste Helm

Adamantine Scale Mail (you'll use this for the whole game)

Gloves of Power and Gloves of Dex (which is kind of halfway between Act 1 and Act 2).

If you go Dark Urge you get a badass cloak, but if not you'll prolly wanna use the Cloak of Protection you obtain in Act 2

You want to get the Disintegrating Night Walkers, which are a set of boots. Gives you access to Misty Step. There is also a Necklace which does as well, but the boots are better for you. But using the Necklace of Misty Step + Swiresy Shoes is a great combo that I used all the way until Act 3 where I then swapped to the Disintegrating Night Walkers because I no longer had a use for Swiresy Shoes.

Not too many Necklaces or Rings in Act 1 that you should really get, but you'll want to get the Ring of Protection and Crusher's Ring for sure, even it no for your character. In Act 3 I used a necklace that increased my jumping distance and a ring that gave me a guaranteed crit per long rest. Along with that, I ended up using the Caustic Band which adds +2 Acid Damage to my attacks. I often paired that with the Dark Justicar Gloves which gave me +1-4 Necrotic damage to my attacks. That's a minimum of +3 extra damage and up to +6 extra damage. Another great set of gloves is the Bonespike gloves since they ignore an enemy's melee resistance which a fair amount of enemies have resistance to slashing. Edit: Also, honestly you should just obtain every ring in the game that you can. So many rings with useful combinations that might not seem obvious until later. Edit again: Extend that to pretty much all gloves, boots, helms, and necklaces. So many combinations to have across your whole party.

Here are all the items I mentioned in no order and might contain spoilers. Might have missed one or two.

Spoiler
Spoiler
BG3.WIKI

Dark Justiciar Gauntlets (Uncommon) are an uncommon pair of Gloves in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Haste Helm is a rare Helmet in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

The Deathstalker Mantle is a rare Cloak in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Cloak of Protection is an uncommon Cloak in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Caustic Band is an uncommon Ring in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Ring of Protection is a rare Ring in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Killer's Sweetheart is a very rare Ring in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Bonespike Gloves are a very rare pair of Gloves in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Gloves of Dexterity are a very rare pair of Gloves in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Gloves of Power are an uncommon pair of Gloves in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Disintegrating Night Walkers are a very rare pair of Boots in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Swiresy Shoes are a rare pair of Boots in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Amulet of Misty Step is an uncommon Amulet in Baldur's Gate 3.
BG3.WIKI

Corvid Token is a very rare Amulet in Baldur's Gate 3.

Prolly a bunch of spelling and grammar mistakes in this post lol.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Uh oh. I was playing on the easiest difficulty in the trial. Is normal difficult?

I don't think so at all. I find even Tactition to be on the easy side. I think you can set up a custom difficulty that lets you play on easy but allows you to multi-class. If you don't wanna mess it with going straight fighter is great and you can still make use of pretty much every item I listed, but you'll want the heavy armor version of the adamantine armor.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't think so at all. I find even Tactition to be on the easy side. I think you can set up a custom difficulty that lets you play on easy but allows you to multi-class. If you don't wanna mess it with going straight fighter is great and you can still make use of pretty much every item I listed, but you'll want the heavy armor version of the adamantine armor.

Multi-class didn't come up in my 2 hours. When does that go into effect? I appreciate all your knowledge here. 

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Uh oh. I was playing on the easiest difficulty in the trial. Is normal difficult?

I think normal is likely to be difficult at times (not all the time) if you don't know dnd all that well. But you can start there and if you run into such a fight, don't feel bad just dropping it down a level.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Multi-class didn't come up in my 2 hours. When does that go into effect? I appreciate all your knowledge here. 

You can multi-class starting at level 2. If you are playing on the Adventure Mode or whatever easy is called you wouldn't know as the game doesn't allow you.

bc2036f1b67414b95ed661056270821d.png

that's the multi-class button

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, legend said:

I think normal is likely to be difficult at times (not all the time) if you don't know dnd all that well. But you can start there and if you run into such a fight, don't feel bad just dropping it down a level.

Ok. I was going to ask if you can lower the difficulty on a whim. Thanks 

• Halal 1

Just now, Bacon said:

You can multi-class starting at level 2. If you are playing on the Adventure Mode or whatever easy is called you wouldn't know as the game doesn't allow you.

bc2036f1b67414b95ed661056270821d.png

that's the multi-class button

I see. I did hit level 2 but I'll play on normal now. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Waiting on gift cards from Santa

Christmas GIF

Nice. I'm not feeling well so I only played 2 hours of the trial but that was enough to hook me. I didn't know I'd enjoy turned based combat this much. The visuals are great, too. The characters and voice acting are top notch. 

Nice. I'm not feeling well so I only played 2 hours of the trial but that was enough to hook me. I didn't know I'd enjoy turned based combat this much. The visuals are great, too. The characters and voice acting are top notch. 

Well no wonder you aren't feeling well. You have ball sack breath. GO BRUSH YOUR TEETH

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Well no wonder you aren't feeling well. You have ball sack breath. GO BRUSH YOUR TEETH

I showered and brushed my teeth today thinking that would make me feel better. No sir. I'm going to eat a big bowl of chicken noodle soup soon. I took medicine at 130pm and I feel doped out. 

• Hugs 1

35 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You need to get a job soon so you can buy me some Sack

I've been playing for 3 hours now. Game is phenomenal and is so interesting. It's got so much choice and different paths already and everything weaves together so well. I can already see why this was the majority GOTY. You're going to absolutely love this. 

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I've been playing for 3 hours now. Game is phenomenal and is so interesting. It's got so much choice and different paths already and everything weaves together so well. I can already see why this was the majority GOTY. You're going to absolutely love this. 

I thought it was a 2 hour trial? Did you buy it?

On 12/15/2023 at 8:08 AM, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.IGN.COM

In a new interview with IGN, Larian Studios boss Swen Vincke responded to questions about Baldur's Gate 3 being on Xbox Game Pass, explaining why the best RPG of 2023 won't be on...

We’ll see. I can it not coming to GamePass this year and maybe not even next, but In wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in Game Pass when Larian wants to get a little boost in revenue as it GamePass often is in essence a full game demo that MS paid the publisher/dev for. But it definitely makes sense during the hype period of the game’s releases they wouldn’t want people playing all they want for less than $70. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

We’ll see. I can it not coming to GamePass this year and maybe not even next, but In wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in Game Pass when Larian wants to get a little boost in revenue as it GamePass often is in essence a full game demo that MS paid the publisher/dev for. But it definitely makes sense during the hype period of the game’s releases they wouldn’t want people playing all they want for less than $70. 

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@best3444 DID YOU BUY BALL SACKS GATE 3?

Yes, I bought it. Completely worth it. So fuckin good I had to quit at a difficult spot but I wanted to keep playing. 

@Bacon I'm still early on making my way to the bandit camp. But I ran into a group of enemies with a dragon next to them. They completely trashed my entire party. I'm on the main quest and level 3. Am I supposed to be heading this way? Or should I find side quests in the cove to level up then proceed that way?

Yes, I bought it. Completely worth it. So fuckin good I had to quit at a difficult spot but I wanted to keep playing. 

@Bacon I'm still early on making my way to the bandit camp. But I ran into a group of enemies with a dragon next to them. They completely trashed my entire party. I'm on the main quest and level 3. Am I supposed to be heading this way? Or should I find side quests in the cove to level up then proceed that way?

If you’re where I think, then unless you avoid that fight by talking your way out that’s probably too high level for 3. You can see the levels of enemies. If they’re much higher you might want to consider coming back later.  

Just now, legend said:

If you’re where I think, then unless you avoid that fight by talking your way out that’s probably too high level for 3. You can see the levels of enemies. If they’re much higher you might want to consider coming back later.  

I tried my damnest to talk my way out of it. I'll try again and look at a guide. If I cannot beat them, where do I go?

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I beat them at level 3, but those enemies are a test. If you can't beat them stay in the area you are in. They are sort of like a roadblock that leads into Act 2. You should be able to beat them by level 5.

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I beat them at level 3, but those enemies are a test. If you can't beat them stay in the area you are in. They are sort of like a roadblock that leads into Act 2. You should be able to beat them by level 5.

When you say stay in the same area, should I be grinding or doing a side quest? The IGN guide I'm using isn't being very helpful.