Guess the State: Man Known as Sovereign Kills a Man on the Appalachian Trail

spacer.png

A Massachusetts man allegedly stabbed two hikers on the Appalachian Trail, killing one, injuring the other.

James Louis Jordan, 30, was arrested Saturday after attacking a male and female hiker with a large knife. He’s been charged with murder and assault with intent to murder.

The victims’ names have not been released, but the man was confirmed dead, and the woman suffered severe stab wounds, according to authorities.

Reports surfaced of a man with a large knife and a dog who had threatened a group of four hikers on Friday night, according to The Washington Post. Two of the hikers fled north and, after losing Jordan, reported the attack to local sheriff’s deputies. In the meantime, Jordan reached the two victims who ran south, stabbing them.

The male victim was able to send off an SOS signal on his phone, sending his location to deputies before he died, while the woman escaped. “She pretended to be dead and when [Jordan] walked away after his dog, she took off running,” explained Wythe County Sheriff Keith Dunagan.

The woman made it 6 miles before she stumbled upon another group of hikers who helped get her to the nearest trauma center.

Jordan, who authorities believe is also known as “Sovereign,” was apprehended after authorities spotted his dog. The animal led them back to Jordan, and authorities subsequently located a 20-inch knife on the trail before finding the male victim.

“Sovereign” was no stranger to hikers. Recent reports cite incidents in Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee, describing a similar machete- or knife-wielding man.

“He had a reputation because of his belligerence with other hikers in Tennessee and Georgia,” said Brian King, spokesman for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

Jordan was reportedly sentenced to probation, fined, and eventually released from custody after pleading guilty to multiple charges in late April, following threats he made against hikers, using his weapon.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-appalachian-trail-hikers-machete-attack-20190512-2nie4cnd2bg7pow7x36xaocixq-story.html

Spoiler

Virginia

3 hours ago, Scott said:

I camp and hike a bunch, and it's never the thought of encountering a wild animal that scares me.

I'll take a normal bear over a deranged human any day.

What about a deranged bear over a normal human?

:nerd: Since I began this series, I shall impart my knowledge. :nerd: 

Florida is usually the butt of jokes in terms of stories. :lol: 

I began this series to show that really weird shit happens in many other states. :silly: 

It usually helps when there's one funny event and users have to guess what specific state this could have happened. For example, years ago I posted about a high school hosting their first interracial prom in 2013. The state was Georgia. Just by reading the headline, you probably wouldn't guess New York. :p 

Side note: my favorite part about that prom story was the first response from @legend which was just "wtf" :lol: 

Lately, many of the weird-as-fuck stories have almost all been Florida, representin' with Florida Man. :] 

• Thanks 1