GA. Mayor says city isn't ready for black leader.

And shes not even the most racist person in charge!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/05/08/mayor-reportedly-said-her-city-isnt-ready-black-leader-council-member-went-further/?fbclid=IwAR3abauYa_CtgJ-UEq_7GWFeUQTVrBuGYek_YVBKLf4WOJOdwmng16xJQic&utm_term=.fe74c1f453bb

a tenuous situation exacerbated by longtime city councilman Jim Cleveland, who defended the mayor.

“I understand Theresa saying that, simply because we’re not Atlanta. Things are different here than they are 50 miles down the road,” he told the AJC. “I don’t know how they would take it if we selected a black administrator. She might have been right,” he added.

Then, he delivered an unprompted declamation on interracial marriage, which he said makes his “blood boil.”

“I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.”

While the mayor denies she discriminated against Henry, Powers and Cleveland told the newspaper she issued a tearful apology for her comments during a March 12 executive session. Council members said the mayor claimed she was “looking out” for Henry because the city has a small minority population. Henry, who withdrew his application for unrelated reasons, told the newspaper he didn’t sense any bias while interviewing with Kenerly over the phone. As a minority, he said, discrimination “comes with the territory.”

“I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.”

The amazing thing is, this kind of reasoning explains why, when I was in Georgia, a town in the state held its first interracial prom. Privately funded, not even sponsored by the school.

ok now THIS is a hold my beer moment

Also, imagine being so blind to your racism that you use the black friends excuse only to immediately follow it with saying that seeing blacks and whites together makes your fucking blood boil.

22 hours ago, stepee said:

ok now THIS is a hold my beer moment

Also, imagine being so blind to your racism that you use the black friends excuse only to immediately follow it with saying that seeing blacks and whites together makes your fucking blood boil.

His racism is ingrained in a way he can even register...

“I don’t disrespect it — I promise you I don’t, I’m not racist, but I don’t believe in interracial marriage, and that’s the end of that story.”

It's crazier that was something he freely offered up in response to whether the town was ready for a black leader.