What's the best way to go about setting up a new build these days?

I think it's time to finally get a new PC Case and set-up that Mobo and CPU @Mr.Vic20 gave me and retire (give away) my i7 3770k computer (minus video card and most hdd/ssds :p ).

Anyway... the main reason I haven't is that I hate doing a reformat and losing all of my apps/settings and what-not. Redownloading/reinstalling things is such a huge PITA. Is there a simplified way to do this now with Windows 10? I don't think I have done a fresh build since like 2012-2013-ish (really), so I'm running off of the "free" Windows 10 upgrade off of Windows 8 - how can I keep this without repurchasing Windows?

Since I recently did a new build with windows 10 (if you've been using it) when it installs programs most of them seem to work if you just move the folder. The only downside is after you re-install it won't recognize it as an installed program if you try to search through the start menu. But if you move the folder and create a shortcut it will work.

As for steam games and blizzard or whatever you're using you could always move those.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

so I'm running off of the "free" Windows 10 upgrade off of Windows 8 - how can I keep this without repurchasing Windows? 

Go to your Microsoft profile and deactivate the machine that your windows is associated with. When you install windows 10 on the new machine use your windows 8 key on the new machine. This worked for me!

I usually just create a bootable media on a USB to do clean installs for Windows 10. Its never asked me for a serial number to verify my number, even used it on my parents computers to get rid of all the bloat on their computers. 

I guess more-so what I’m asking: is there a way to setup the new PC and load a backup of my current PC and have everything work like it currently does (applications, everything) as I’ll be swapping out all my current HDDs/SSDs to the new build (minus the current boot drive which will be replaced by an M.2 drive).

It wouldn’t be the end of the world if this is impossible, just annoying. I know with games I can just leave the files on their drives, then Steam/Uplay/Origin/Whatever will just scan/verify the files instead of re-downloading.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I bought a C700p :blush:

If for whatever reason you don't like that I always highly recommend the Meshify C with some Noctua's. Its got a pretty small footprint for a case, but still can fit my 2080 inside of it. Its a little louder since its such an open case, but is easily drowned out by headphones/speakers.

3 hours ago, Nokt said:

If for whatever reason you don't like that I always highly recommend the Meshify C with some Noctua's. Its got a pretty small footprint for a case, but still can fit my 2080 inside of it. Its a little louder since its such an open case, but is easily drowned out by headphones/speakers.

I wanted a full tower.