Retro Games Pickup

Rodimus

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

1208 games in my physical collection, not one of them ToeJam & Earl.

christina aguilera thumbs down GIF

Time to fix that!

It took me a while to get a copy in my collection since I rarely saw a copy locally. Yet oddly once I finally found my copy another one showed up which I scooped up for my friend who also was on a long term hunt for it.

I will admit for me it's a case of childhood memory, it was one of the few genesis games I had till my brother broke our system. Yet with that said the game still actually holds up. Think of it as a colorful/silly roguelike. The map layout, item placement and items themself are randomized every time you play. 

spacer.png

This showed up in the mail recently. I picked it up for two reasons, 1) I was keep tabs on yahoo auctions and saw a chance to jump on one for cheap and 2) While I have it on Neo CD this is one of the few Neo CD games where loading time actually annoys me. It's also interesting that the loading issues of 94 are less of a problem in 95. I'm actually fine with playing 95 on Neo CD. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Like I mention at least the price was right (7390Y total [~70 USD] - 4,700Y buy/fees & 2,690Y for shipping).

As a follow up, I have another NG AES cart waiting for me in japan. I picked up Fire Suplex (3 Count Bout). I know the game is broken when you get to the 3rd level but I like the look of the game and as well I was able to scoop up a copy for 5200Y (before shipping).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Littleronin said:

Speaking of and it most likely deserves its own thread but. MVSX is coming to North America for $499 complete.

Yeah I've heard about this but IMO I feel it's a little pricey for what it is. Sure I know it aligns with Arcade 1Ups but I kind of feel if you're going down this route why not just simply buy a normal barcade, restored arcade cabinet or build one yourself (like I did). :) 

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm hoping the cab won't take too long. It arrived from Japan to the seller last week. It's coming from Reno, NV now. He's trying to decide what game marquee he's gonna get for it.

Nice. Do you know if it's got a Tri-Sync screen?

I really need to find a good month of free time to disassemble my Capcom Cab so I can restore it. :cry:

3 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Nice. Do you know if it's got a Tri-Sync screen?

I really need to find a good month of free time to disassemble my Capcom Cab so I can restore it. :cry:

He said yep. 

I’m going to be missing my husband for a while when this arrives, I’m sure. I just hope it’s not as much work as the Neo Geo was. 

56 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

He said yep. 

I’m going to be missing my husband for a while when this arrives, I’m sure. I just hope it’s not as much work as the Neo Geo was. 

Nice. Japanese cabinets are much better put together then US cabs were. So as long as the units in good shape there isn't much to really tinker with unless changing the control panel or recapping the monitor. 

I personally known my cab needs a lot of work because it's yellowed in my storage locker and the CRT is in need of a good recapping. 

2 hours ago, Rodimus said:

How does one buy a Japanese Arcade Cabinet? I ask because I'm interested in his.

Find someone who has one already in the US for sale or look to someone who is doing a bulk import of units from japan (this happens less frequently). Either way expect to pay $500 - $1000+ for one. Best to hang around groups on facebook or hit up an arcade centrick site like ArcadeOtaku or KLOV. 

I got mine back in 2000 from a guy off ebay who had a small arcade in SoCal and was selling off units he was bring over from japan. I think I paid around 400ish for mine and went to pick it up in person.

Husband found a guy in an arcade forum who imported and sold them. $1000 for the cab, a little over $400 for shipping since he's in NV, so not within driving distance for us.

This was essentially the guy's final go. Said they're getting harder to come by and the profit margins are getting low. Like, he might sell again, but he's just decided overall, it's not really worth it anymore, unless he knows he can get a good deal.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Husband found a guy in an arcade forum who imported and sold them. $1000 for the cab, a little over $400 for shipping since he's in NV, so not within driving distance for us.

This was essentially the guy's final go. Said they're getting harder to come by and the profit margins are getting low. Like, he might sell again, but he's just decided overall, it's not really worth it anymore, unless he knows he can get a good deal.

Yeah I know there is an arcade in Reno that deals with just Japanese style arcade machines. I was debating about getting an old cab from them and then COVID hit and we haven't been up to Reno in almost 6 months. 

15 hours ago, Littleronin said:

Just nabbed a copy of Rule of Rose for a bit under going rate. Mainly purchased to help out a friend of a friend. 

Congrats! Something I always kick myself over is thinking about how many times in the past I would see a game going for pretty cheap and passed over it only to find out years later it's stupidly rare now. :/ I remember doing that for both RoR and Eternal Poison like 10 years ago. :|

-edit-

Speaking of retro gets. I need to post photos because my 3 Gundam PSP games finally showed up. Sadly one I already own but the set was like $30ish shipped so I can't complain. I've been needing to get a physical copy of Gundam Vs Gundam Next Plus for a while. 

-edit 2-

Decided to stop being lazy and quickly take a photo.

spacer.png

The middle one is a dup for me. I actually have a number of Gundam PSP games. Unsure if i'll trade it in to a retro shop or just give away here if anybody might be interested. 

19 hours ago, Littleronin said:

Just nabbed a copy of Rule of Rose for a bit under going rate. Mainly purchased to help out a friend of a friend. 

That is how I bought my Virtual Boy. I didn't want it but my friend was selling it and needed money. I paid him a fair price for it.

It has arrived. The case has a couple of dings on it but overall it is in really good shape. 

retro033.jpg

I also have added a few other games (Mario Party 7 with the mic coming to mind), not as many as a normal month. I am just far to exhausted as I had a concussion in early July and have had a hell of a time recovering, so I haven't been able to get out as much as I like with most thing being 150 mile round trip drives to get to. 

• Like 1

Yay this arrived on friday. Gave it a go last night and proceeded to get my ass kicked in the first round. -.- I'm quite happy with it as the condition on the box, manual & cart are great other then the usual issues that plague NG AES boxes (shrinking cover plastic and wrinkled insert).

spacer.png

• Like 1