Retro Games Pickup

Rodimus

On 11/17/2019 at 5:40 PM, chakoo said:

Nice gets, @CastlevaniaNut18 let me know what you think of Pat's two books. I've been thinking about buying them (I bought his nes iOS app and found it great).

20 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

I haven't picked up the SNES Guide Book by Pat yet. I might get it for Xmas. How is it? I have the NES one.

They’re fantastic and I’m not a Pat fan. Get it!

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Christmas gift for a close friend (Luckily he doesn't read these boards). The pad is in really good shape, sadly couldn't try it out since I didn't have any games for it. I also picked up a copy of Dr Chaos for nes. I've been curious to give this one a go after seeing it so often when looking at Famicom Disk games.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my recent retro(-ish) pickups.

spacer.png

Smash was a x-mas gift from a friend and I kind of wanted to replay the zelda games after beating the Links Awakening remake.

spacer.png

I ordered this on Black Friday for myself. While it's well built it sadly doesn't play as well as the centipede unit (due to the dial being click instead of a smooth rotation). Still I'm happy to have picked it up and even happier it was only $86 USD after shipping. Now I just need to buy myself the SF2 unit.

spacer.png

Nothing amazing but I just want to say bad habits seem to start when I end up with a copy of Samurai Shodown on a system I don't have. :nervous:

Sham Sho Neo CD -> 10-ish years later I bought a Neo CD (Though I blame gamesack on that one and It took me a year to realize I still had Sham Sho)

Sham Sho AES -> AES a mere week later

Sham Sho MVS -> To be continued...

For the love of god, nobody donate me a copy of Sham Sho for 3do, I already almost bought a 3do a few years back. =/

FYI, I'm thinking of getting a MVS-1C for my small cabinet, I tried out a pi-zero in it and everything just felt wrong and off about it. Yet I love when I have my Soul Edge or Tekken PCB running in it. I knew a local store had this MVS cart for a while and it was only $50 Cad which is fair for a real USA cart.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:46 AM, chakoo said:

Here are my recent retro(-ish) pickups.

spacer.png

Smash was a x-mas gift from a friend and I kind of wanted to replay the zelda games after beating the Links Awakening remake.

spacer.png

I ordered this on Black Friday for myself. While it's well built it sadly doesn't play as well as the centipede unit (due to the dial being click instead of a smooth rotation). Still I'm happy to have picked it up and even happier it was only $86 USD after shipping. Now I just need to buy myself the SF2 unit.

Man I would kill for a Burgertime version of those mini arcades. 

1 hour ago, Littleronin said:

Man I would kill for a Burgertime version of those mini arcades. 

The current one out there is not very good (it uses the nes rom and not the arcade one). It's worth poking both NewWaveToys or Numskull to request a Burgertime. Numskull just recently announced a Bubble Bobble mini arcade (1/4 scale) using the arcade roms.

• 3 weeks later...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SCoQMxjLRTtpSC8K8

Sorry for my lack of embedded photo (google seems to have changed urls that is breaking the site I use to convert with). My MVS-1b arrived this week (grabbed a cheap $40 one off ebay to mess with first). The thing is crazy bigger then envisioned from the photos. I might have to look into getting a 1C to see if it will fit better but at least this lets me start wiring it in to my bartop. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I picked up Mad World and Muramasa: The Demon's Blade for Wii.  I've been trying to take advantage of Wii U's back compatibility to play Wii games that I missed out on.  I'd never heard of Muramasa before, but it looks really awesome so I'm excited to get to that.

It is a fun game. I also have it on the PS Vita. It really deserves a full he release. Very pretty repetative but fun. I have played it also on my PSTV. 

Yay, I picked up another classic from my childhood. I've been looking for a complete copy for ages and now I found one at a decent price. I also picked up a fun sega classic I've never owned before. I'll let you guess which is witch. =)

spacer.png

With this, there is now only a small handful of genesis games I'm still missing from my childhood (Moonwalker & Sonic 3). I should probably consider a Mega SG soon so I can play these on my main tv.

2 hours ago, Littleronin said:

Those are two of the first games I tracked down when I starting putting back together my Genesis collection. So much fun to be had with both of them. 

Yep, I adore CoI and a complete copy in good shape has been on my wanted list for a long time. I can play this game for hours (Actually played for a good hour today). This was my first time playing BBros on Genesis and it's great fun but really damn hard for a game that doesn't look very complex on the surface. I really love collecting for the genesis but it's been pretty hard to find games complete with their manual in good shape locally. It's a real shame. =( 

5 hours ago, chakoo said:

Yep, I adore CoI and a complete copy in good shape has been on my wanted list for a long time. I can play this game for hours (Actually played for a good hour today). This was my first time playing BBros on Genesis and it's great fun but really damn hard for a game that doesn't look very complex on the surface. I really love collecting for the genesis but it's been pretty hard to find games complete with their manual in good shape locally. It's a real shame. =( 

Yeah manuals seem to be hit or miss. Like I have seen case that look pristine with manuals that look like they are dog chew toys. 

I had the Mega Drive edition of Castle of Illusion as a kid.  I had absolutely no idea what a Mega Drive was then or why my copy of the game said it instead of Genesis.  I can't remember if I got it at Kohl's or if Sega mailed me it as I remember it was apart of the buy two get one free promotion they had going on.  All I assume these days is since the the Genesis was selling better here than in Europe, Sega of America was probably pulling PAL copies of games to sell over here to keep popular titles in stock.  

On 2/17/2020 at 12:32 PM, Rodimus said:

I know what game I took home with my Genesis besides the pack in of Altered Beast. That was Castle of illusion. That is my guess for you as well but maybe the other would work since I never played the other.

I don't fully remember how we got our genesis. I think it came from one of my brother's friends who use to have a lot of consoles. One of the games that was with it was Castle of Illusion which I use to play a ton. This was my first time playing the genesis version of Bonanza Bros (maybe I played once before in a collection?) but I knew it was a good game.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:04 PM, vaxick said:

I had the Mega Drive edition of Castle of Illusion as a kid.  I had absolutely no idea what a Mega Drive was then or why my copy of the game said it instead of Genesis.  I can't remember if I got it at Kohl's or if Sega mailed me it as I remember it was apart of the buy two get one free promotion they had going on.  All I assume these days is since the the Genesis was selling better here than in Europe, Sega of America was probably pulling PAL copies of games to sell over here to keep popular titles in stock.  

In Canada, there is a ton of MD/Euro versions of games mixed in due to them having the box/manual localized to french for quebec. =/

On 2/18/2020 at 6:51 PM, chakoo said:

In Canada, there is a ton of MD/Euro versions of games mixed in due to them having the box/manual localized to french for quebec. =/

I live in Michigan so maybe it was easier for the distributor for this area to get a shipment in from Canada than elsewhere at that particular time.  I don't mind it, I honestly prefer the larger art on it, it's just strange to see Mega Drive as I much prefered the Genesis name and its logo.  

spacer.png

I added another game to the small MVS collection. I prefer 2020 Super Baseball out of the 3 for NG but I've still had fun with this one. It was also nice that it came from a local seller so shipping was not stupid (sometimes MVS carts have shipping prices of $20-$40 on ebay from outside canada). 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

He hasn’t made the final decision to sell it, but it’s likely. Nothing super special, but I can post links once he does. 

but don’t you live in Canada? Not sure if he’s keen on shipping there.

Let me know when you do. There are always some gaps I would be interested in filling for my GG collection. Also yeah I’m in Canada but shipping here though usps is dead simple. Sure shipping rates for me will probably blow. :/

Selling off Game Gear collection seems understandable. I am also considering picking up a few Game Gear Games. I think if I have a working Game Gear or a way to play them I would be more interseted.

* please share a link of what you end up selling.

I have been on the fence for years in buying Saturn Multitaps. I need two to play 10 player Saturn Bomberman. I need to  pull the trigger. I have the import version and enough controllers.

3 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Selling off Game Gear collection seems understandable. I am also considering picking up a few Game Gear Games. I think if I have a working Game Gear or a way to play them I would be more interseted.

While I have a GG, the screen is not great. So I'm personally looking forward to the Analogue Pocket to play some of my games on. 

I kind of disagree. The Mickey games, SOR 1 & 2, GG shinobi 1 & 2, Defenders of Oasis, GG Aleste 1 & 2, Ristar, Shining Forces games are all great on the system. I also have a bit of a soft spot for the first sonic games on GG as I use to play the crap out of it when I was a kid (yeah the slowdowns sucked). I'd gladly play my GG more if I had a better way to play it (my screen gets really blurry and has some crazy line ghosting issues on it). :)

Ewww, just play Shining Force CD, not the GG version. And we played the fan translated SF Final Conflict and it was honestly not good. I struggled to get through it. As for the rest, just play them on Genesis or SMS. In a lot of cases, the GG games are just bad watered down versions of their console counterparts.

Found a SNES at a local second hand music shop for $60.

Wasn't really in the mood to buy one, but it was in pretty good condition. No yellowing, no chips, no deep scratches, aside from being a bit dirty and a highlighter mark on the side it in as good of condition you can ask for. The controller is absolutely disgusting, I asked them to bag it separately because of how gross it was. I plan on buying a gamebit driver so I can take both of them apart and give them a good clean.