Retro Games Pickup

Rodimus

On 1/19/2021 at 10:41 AM, Rodimus said:

Well my friend informed me that that Satiator for the Sega Saturn is out for sale. This is the plug n play device for the Sega Saturn that connects in the back via MPEG expansion slot and bypasses the optical drive to load games. I don't have it and not sure when I will but I will share more when it arrives. this is the project from Professor Abasive.

WWW.SATIATOR.NET

I ended up ordering of of these, should be here tomorrow. 

12 hours ago, Littleronin said:

I ended up ordering of of these, should be here tomorrow. 

I look forward to your impressions. I want one but there are other retro things I want more atm and I’m limited on how much I can buy (by the wife, lol).

2 hours ago, chakoo said:

I look forward to your impressions. I want one but there are other retro things I want more atm and I’m limited on how much I can buy (by the wife, lol).

Will do, I'm currently ripping my Saturn games at the moment as I have a large capacity SD card already to dump them on. I got an email the other day saying they were back in stock and actually debated a little bit before pulling the trigger on getting one. 

Also in my recent Saturn import spree I finally broke down and got a white Japanese Saturn. I have always wanted one but until recently I never found one that made me say "now is the time." 

So far, so good. Everything that I have ripped works, setup of the device was super easy. Even getting the Action Replay to play nice was simple. I haven't tried every game yet as I am still ripping them but, so far I am pleased. The one nice thing is if something doesn't work you can still just put in the disc to play it until the firmware corrects issues. 

We started pricing DS and PSP stuff in our collection, so I consider it retro now. Holy shit, some of that stuff is EXPENSIVE now. I wish I'd added Persona 3 Portable back then. I just didn't think I needed it. I have the Persona 1 and 2 box sets, though.

Even 3DS stuff has seen a spike. I looked up Dragon Quest 7 and 8 and damn.

I regret buying Persona 3 Portable digitally when it came out. I bought it at the time to play on my PSP Go and had always plan to grab a physical copy but got lazy and didn't. It's really freaking stupid the price of anything SMT right now, you use to find new copies of Persona 1 & 2 PSP for like $30-$40 on Amazon less than 2 years ago. =/

man checking ebay, Ys: The Oath in Felghana is pretty damn high (I still have my boxed set for it and 7). I also decided to peak at solatorobo again, JFC it's gone up an extra $100 since I last looked (erm if it hits $500 I'm caching out, I only played my copy for 5 mins and my LE is in nearly mint).

1 hour ago, Littleronin said:

Yeah things are spiking like crazy with the PSP since the server shutdown announcement. I guess that people weren't realizing that the PSP existed until that announcement. :p

Yes but also all SMT games have spiked up in price since the last update on SMT 3 HD and SMT 5 a year-ish back. So even the 3DS games have gone up 3x in price.

I still personally don't see 80% of my collection as an investment. I mostly buy up what I want to actually play but I will admit there are a few items I bought knowing they are probably going to be worth a lot in the future (20th Anv PS4, Persona Q2 SE, my 3DS Systems, etc). I think the complicated issue comes from game I did actually buy to play and now they're worth a lot and I still haven't had time to get to them (DQ8) and then there are ones where I bought to play but didn't care all that much (solatorobo ds) that I think i'm ok with selling off if the price gets right. :sun:

I think my Vita & 3DS Collections are the first time I've actually held on to a large collection without selling them off, I use to have 100+ PSP games (I played the system a lot and it was a great reference library when I use to make PSP games) but when that system wined down and vita/3ds took off I paired that collection back to about 1/4 of games I really wanted to still keep (some rare, some common that I just really loved playing and go back to). Yet due to the way things are with retro collections recently I haven't done the same for my 3ds/vita collections and probably wont (luckily they take up so little space).

My focus of my collection has more been about breath vs depth. I don't need or want tons of titles for a single systeem but I want to have access to many systems with just a handful of titles to play on it. It's why even after having a Neo CD I still got an AES & MVS, but I only really have a small handful of titles for each with no major plans to buy more.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:54 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We started pricing DS and PSP stuff in our collection, so I consider it retro now. Holy shit, some of that stuff is EXPENSIVE now. I wish I'd added Persona 3 Portable back then. I just didn't think I needed it. I have the Persona 1 and 2 box sets, though.

Even 3DS stuff has seen a spike. I looked up Dragon Quest 7 and 8 and damn.

I've been trying to get them at a reasonable price for a while now. Some person on Ebay had a loose copy DQ7 for $90 (in CAD) or "Best Offer". I decided not to bother because it was loose and I figured they probably wouldn't a price much lower... IIRC they accepted an offer for like $45. I still hate that I didn't make an offer at all. :frustrated: 

On a slightly related note, I opted not to get Warioware Gold at $55 thinking I could get a better price, now it's selling for like $75 and people are trying to push their prices to $90 or occasionally even $100+. :/

I'll take some pics and post my recent GBA and DS purchases at some point this week.

14 hours ago, Raggit said:

On a slightly related note, I opted not to get Warioware Gold at $55 thinking I could get a better price, now it's selling for like $75 and people are trying to push their prices to $90 or occasionally even $100+. :/

Ugg... I still need that game. It's kind of annoying that end of life 3DS has been much harder to buy up games for than previous systems. PSP was great because you could easily pick up some titles for under $20. I've been trying to throw in a 3DS game every few amazon orders I make for anything I'm missing and the selection is getting pretty thin. :(

2 hours ago, chakoo said:

Ugg... I still need that game. It's kind of annoying that end of life 3DS has been much harder to buy up games for than previous systems. PSP was great because you could easily pick up some titles for under $20. I've been trying to throw in a 3DS game every few amazon orders I make for anything I'm missing and the selection is getting pretty thin. :(

When I pre-ordered the Analogue Pocket, what a relief it was to realize I have virtually no nostalgia for the GBA.  Couldn't tell you why as I had plenty of GBA games at the time, but seeing the prices of some of the games I had makes me feel a bit of relief all I mostly want is the various Mario titles.  On the other hand, discovering virtually every Game Gear game was low in price was absolute joy as that was one handheld I spent a massive amount of time with as a kid and had a ton of games for.  A few weeks back when I visited an out of town game shop, the owner was quite surprised to hear somebody to ask open the case to purchase some Game Gear games.  He informed me most of the games have been there since the store opened.  At the game shop by me, they all had a healthy layer of dust on them. While it's nice to see a platform that's actually for the most part cheap, I do hope the Pocket revitalizes the platform a bit as I feel bad it's so ignored.

@CastlevaniaNut18 nice pickups. Always great to see another join the TwinFami fan club (i've got the black one). Were the games from a group/lot purchase? It's nice seeing DragonBuster 2 in the group (outside the usual good hits like TMNT, rockman, prodius and goemon). I'm guessing your husband is thrilled with this.

Also <3 the boxed Bomberman 5. 

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

@CastlevaniaNut18 nice pickups. Always great to see another join the TwinFami fan club (i've got the black one). Were the games from a group/lot purchase? It's nice seeing DragonBuster 2 in the group (outside the usual good hits like TMNT, rockman, prodius and goemon). I'm guessing your husband is thrilled with this.

Also <3 the boxed Bomberman 5. 

Twin Famicom was its own purchase, the games came from two separate orders. He's just been in a Famicom mood and we like the carts better than NES carts, so some were games we already own the US versions of and others were JP exclusives that just looked neat. Oh, and he has this thing for the plastic clamshell Famicom cases. I love the Japanese art for Yoshi's Island, so I went for it. I want a SFC version of Mario World, but they didn't have a good enough copy I wanted to spend money on, so it'll wait for another day.

• 1 month later...

These are my first good retro finds in a while.  The X-Arcade I found in a very rich neighborhood for $20.  I found the Lunar 2 in another nicer sale for $30.  I need to see if this copy of Lunar is in better condition than mine.

Sadly, retro stuff has really dried up in my area.  Finding video game stuff at garage sales is hard.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

If we're going to look at vita being retro, I've got a whole box of vita confusion on it's way. 

:hmm:

oh what do you think it could be? My only hint is I had originally only plan to buy one of them but ended up buying a bunch because they were going for dirt cheap on yahoo auctions.

I haven't been sharing and at this point not sure what to add. These past few years I have been mostly picking up PS4 games. Many of them are retro games re-releases on PS4 or a sequel to a retro game franchise.

I know Limited Run games has ben getting a bunch of my money and Play-asia importing games as well. 

We have seen generation after generation at the end of a console get a bunch of smaller releases that become hard to track down later. I know I'm guilty of moving on to the next console asap and often missing out on these. So I have been trying to shore up my PS4 games and with some many of these smaller releases coming out I have been busy.

I'm a sucker for a SHUMP.

So.. To finish off from my previous post. So this isn't quite retro but eh we're getting pretty close.

So to start things off, I'm not a big Dynasty Warriors/Musou person. Yet with that said I've been playing the demo to Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 for ages because something in this version of the series clicked better with me. So after thinking about it for so many years I finally found myself on yahoo auctions and saw that Vita games were going for really cheap atm. So I eventually bought a copy.

spacer.png

Yet because shipping between Japan & Canada is still shit due to covid I only had 1 shipping option which made things a bit more expensive (about 2,000Y regardless if it was 1 game or 12). So then I got the horrible idea to buy more Koei Vita games because they were so cheap (even the sealed copies). So I kind of went a little overboard.

spacer.png

I decided to throw in a copy of Gundam Breaker 3 because I still don't have that one. I have GB1 because it came with my Vita which is the Gundam LE and I bought GB2 digitally from PSN. I also grabbed this because it was also cheap for a brand new copy, even though I have the game digitally for 3DS (but I kind of wanted the mounting bracket monstrosity that this game comes with.

spacer.png spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Minor pickup: I got a tekken 2 PCB off ebay because it was going for $50 (sadly shipping end up being as much as the board was). I now have tekken 1-5DR in arcade forum minus Tekken Tag (never really a fan but would grab if I saw for under $70).

spacer.png spacer.png

I haven't booted it up yet to see if it's actually Ver B of the game. there are boards for Ver A, B & D but D is actually version B of the game (B might or might just be an upgraded version A but I won't know till I boot it since the title screen will say what version it is). Arcade version numbers can be a mess sometimes but they can also be fascinating as well. i've got a less common Version A for tekken 4 where the AI practically stands around and barely does much (lol).

10 hours ago, Littleronin said:

@chakoo A fellow connoisseur of Musou games. I don't know what it is but I keep buying them even if they are the same thing with different paint. 

Nice pick up there.  I also don't get why I care about Musou games that much. Of the set I bought 4 of them are so very alike but with enough of a variance for me to actually enjoy playing SW Chronicles 3 the most of the group. Yet Gundam Breakers series on the other hand are so different from game to game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Yet I do enjoy when the Musou team does something different, I'm a big fan of the toukiden series and when the team did dragon quest & zelda. 

I completely forgot to post those GBA games I bought several months ago... so here they are!

spacer.png 

iVsdKOo.jpeg

oAa5og7.jpg

They were all loose cartridges (some with manuals), so I put them into DS cartridge cases and printed some cover art. It isn't perfect but I like it.

Mre8MZp.jpeg

I play them on these bad boys... although the white one stopped working. It used to work on and off, but for some reason I can't get it working anymore. I'll probably fix it when I get a soldering iron... and learn how to solder. Only downside is that since I didn't do any soldering, I have to use headphones / speakers for audio. Not the end of the world, but a minor inconvenience. 

CRrHGLS.jpeg

I almost forgot I also picked this up. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but the discs and the case were in surprisingly good condition. I half expected the discs to be more scratched than they appeared in the pictures (It's pretty easy to hide scratches with the right lighting), but they're  both in great shape!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...