The Irishman (Scorsese-directed mob film) Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Reviews)

Pikachu

11 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Maybe it’s the nature of a 3.5hr Netflix movie, but I really felt like the film could lose a huge amount of screen time and probably be better for it. I really enjoyed the perspective of an older mobster looking back on things, but so much of the rest of it felt superfluous, and (ironically for such a long movie) kinda rushed through.

I knew about it going in, but it’s so odd that this movie has title cards for “I HEARD YOU PAINT HOUSES” when that’s not the title.

It’s a movie that I would like to revisit, but I don’t know when I’ll make time to anytime soon.

For me the time went quickly.  I recently read the book (which is titled I heard you paint houses) and the movie looses so much from the book - I would not have wanted them to cut any more.

I think the standout performance is from Joe Pesci... but that may be colored by just missing him in movies for so long.  

It is a little odd when these guys are computer generated as young people.  Even with their wrinkles gone... their mouths are a little too tight and their walks are still old people walks.  You kinda just have to suspend disbelief and go with it.

Overall I loved it.  I think it will be the last of the era of great mobster movies.

Another solid flick from Marty. Joe Pesci was great to see playing against the type he usually is, as a quiet, calmer, and level headed mobster this time. 

The de-aging tech is really good, and nearly flawless, but yeah you can tell these guys aren't young anymore by how slow they walk. 

8 hours ago, Brick said:

Another solid flick from Marty. Joe Pesci was great to see playing against the type he usually is, as a quiet, calmer, and level headed mobster this time. 

The de-aging tech is really good, and nearly flawless, but yeah you can tell these guys aren't young anymore by how slow they walk. 

When Frank beat up that shopkeeper for pushing his daugher, I winced. He looked like he had such a stiff back.

• 1 month later...