The Irishman (Scorsese-directed mob film) Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Reviews)

Pikachu

• 1 month later...

Netflix has bought a bunch of movies and they've funded a bunch of movies, but I'm not sure if either is really an indicator of quality. Does anyone have a list of which is which? For example, Beasts of No Nation was bought after it premiered at Venice, but others like The Irishman (in addition to Okja, Private Life, Roma) Netflix funded the production of the film. They don't have a production company, so both categories just get lumped together as distributed by Netflix. I'd be kinda interested to see how well they've done funding films.

Netflix has made a lot of solid movies and a couple of really good ones. Triple Frontier was solid... not great. So was Bright. Birdbox was awesome and as others have said, Beasts of no Nation and Roma were good as well. As far as The Irishman goes? At 210 minutes, I'll definitely be watching this from the comfort of mine own home, possibly over the course of several nights.

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Netflix has made a lot of solid movies and a couple of really good ones. Triple Frontier was solid... not great. So was Bright. Birdbox was awesome and as others have said, Beasts of no Nation and Roma were good as well. As far as The Irishman goes? At 210 minutes, I'll definitely be watching this from the comfort of mine own home, possibly over the course of several nights.

Is it actually one 210 minute film or is it episodic, kind of like they did with Hateful Eight?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 8:48 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

So does anyone plan on seeing this in the theater or is everyone going to wait until Netflix? I'm torn because on the one hand, I want to see it on the big screen and I didn't realize that the gap between the theatrical release and Netflix premiere was damn near a month, on the other hand... 210 mother fucking minutes!

I can't wait to see this... But Netflix. One month isn't too long. Also a big screen isn't much of a selling point for a historical gangster movie.  Plus no one else in my family wants to see it. Wife has no interest, kids are too young.

So I guess I can wait to see it. 

35 minutes ago, number305 said:

I can't wait to see this... But Netflix. One month isn't too long. Also a big screen isn't much of a selling point for a historical gangster movie.  Plus no one else in my family wants to see it. Wife has no interest, kids are too young.

So I guess I can wait to see it. 

Unfortunately, this is the reality that Marty and other filmmakers of his era just fail to understand, hence his resentment for the Marvel movies.

18 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Unfortunately, this is the reality that Marty and other filmmakers of his era just fail to understand, hence his resentment for the Marvel movies.

This would be different for me if it was a normal release.  Here we are only talking about 26 days difference until it hits Netflix.  If it was going to be 4 months I might pop for a ticket.  

But your point is valid.  For a super long movie with very limited special effects (outside of de-aging actors)  this very well could be a better experience at home than in a theater.  

19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think he understands that it's the case. He knows he's one of the most storied filmmakers alive and even with the incredible cast he couldn't convince any major studio to make this movie. I think he's acutely aware of how movies in general and his movies in particular are going to be seen and what their market value is like. He just doesn't like it.

For myself, if this was playing in an AMC and I could use my A-list subscription to see it, I'd see it in a theater. I don't think it is though, so I'll be watching on Netflix.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched this over the course of the day, and I dunno. I didn’t really get much out of it, and I don’t know if I would have appreciated it more in a traditional theater setting. I rewatched Goodfellas earlier this month and that didn’t do it for me either, so maybe this just isn’t my genre.

It’s amazing how Scorsese manages to continue to mature as a filmmaker. This is right up there with his other mob movies and he manages to keep it fresh and original. Al Pacino is amazing in his role as Jimmy Hoffa and I would think is a lock to be nominated for best supporting actor(Pesci too, but he has a more reserved role that I could see him missing out). Robert Deniro as well for best actor, whose best work is done as his older self, reflecting on his life. Thelma Schoonmaker does another fantastic job with the editing. This felt like it never missed a beat and seamlessly flows into different flashbacks.

This is like the culmination of 50 years of filmmaking, and that final shot is great. To me I don’t think this film could have been made 10-15 years ago, not just because of the technology, but because of the maturity of everybody involved. Take Deniro and Pesci scenes for example. Scenes they did 20 years ago are much different from the scenes in this movie. Obviously script is part of it, but you can tell by the phenomenal acting that they’ve matured to the point to make everything convincing and meaningful when they’re calmly talking about things to each other. 

Frank Sheeran is able to confront himself and what he’s done In his life, and in a way, it also feels like he is confronting what he did in other Scorsese movies because we have grown with Deniro, Pesci, and Marty for decades. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe it’s the nature of a 3.5hr Netflix movie, but I really felt like the film could lose a huge amount of screen time and probably be better for it. I really enjoyed the perspective of an older mobster looking back on things, but so much of the rest of it felt superfluous, and (ironically for such a long movie) kinda rushed through.

I knew about it going in, but it’s so odd that this movie has title cards for “I HEARD YOU PAINT HOUSES” when that’s not the title.

It’s a movie that I would like to revisit, but I don’t know when I’ll make time to anytime soon.