How do you balance out the hours of your life?

gamer.tv

We all enjoy 168 hours a week to do as we please in, but I was wondering just how I spread these hours out.  So, just looking at the big hitters (and being sensible with my timings)

Work: 53.5 

Travel: 6

Sleep: 42

Eating/Drinking: 5

Bathroom: 2

Free Time: 59 hours per week

It's an interesting perspective (at least for me, being about me) to see the actual amount of free time (give or take a few hours) that I actually have access too.  Naturally, not all of these hours are used for fun things, in fact most are probably just moving about the place, cleaning etc, but even then, it's a decent amount of time to make use of. 

The reason why this thread came to me was running home from work today, I was trying to work out why I feel like I have no leisure time to make use of and now the reflection that if I actually made the effort to have more fun, I probably would do. 

Anyway, have a quick add-up of the above and let's see how free you are (and more usefully, if anyone would like to add in more options to show a truer reflection, please do).

So 24 a day in one week 168 hours total available 

I sleep 49 hours a week 

I work 38 hours a week plus 1 hour lunches (+5)

I drive 2 hours a day so 10 hours 

That leaves me with 66 hours a week 

Hmmm doesn't feel like it for sure. Maybe on weekends since I don't work weekends 

I do spend about 1 hour a week grocery shopping 

5 hours a week cooking 

6 hours a week walking/exercise 

Now 54 hours left 

How do I balance the hours of my life? Probably very poorly.  :p 

Work: As a student, 5 hours per day * 6 days = 30 hours (this should be higher :blush:

Travel: 40 minutes per day * 6 days per week = 4 hours

Sleep: 6.5 hours per night * 7 nights = 45.5

Eating/Drinking: 1.5 hours per day * 7 days = 10.5 hours

Bathroom: 30 minutes per day * 7 days = 3.5 hours

Free Time: 74.5 hours per week

As a student near the end of his studies I have a lot of freedom with my schedule.  

I used to be in a band but we're sort of on hiatus, and I do read a fair amount and spend a lot of time with the GF. Probably I should exercise more and cook more meals rather than eating in the school cafeteria... but I'm kinda lazy and I like using that time for other things. 

Probably it would be worth keeping precise track of this for a week to see how I'm actually using the time. It might give me a kick in the pants do things differently. :thinking:

I don't.  I work too much.  I'm probably sub-50 hours in "free" time and most of that is spent meeting non-work obligations (cleaning, fixing, errands, landlordly bullshit, etc.).  Probably 10-15 hours a week doing stuff I actually want to do.

18 minutes ago, Slug said:

I don't.  I work too much.  I'm probably sub-50 hours in "free" time and most of that is spent meeting non-work obligations (cleaning, fixing, errands, landlordly bullshit, etc.).  Probably 10-15 hours a week doing stuff I actually want to do.

What do you do for a living?  I'm not exactly thrilled at the amount I work at the moment and I look forward to (hopefully) moving back down to a more regular 37 hours.

11 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

What do you do for a living?  I'm not exactly thrilled at the amount I work at the moment and I look forward to (hopefully) moving back down to a more regular 37 hours.

I'm an intercept engineer.  I put in probably 50-55'ish hours per week in a regular work week, plus my team rotates on-call duty which can push it to 60-70 in some cases (on call is 24/7 availability; if the phone rings I drop everything and do what needs doin').

3 hours ago, Slug said:

I'm an intercept engineer.  I put in probably 50-55'ish hours per week in a regular work week, plus my team rotates on-call duty which can push it to 60-70 in some cases (on call is 24/7 availability; if the phone rings I drop everything and do what needs doin').

What if you’re buzzed at the skins game 

Sleep: 70 hours 

Therapy: 2 hours

Free time: 96 hours 

I'm on leave from work so I fill my extra time with a lot of self care and relaxing. I do things like:

Video games

Therapy homework

Reading

Walking

Socializing 

Being outside (weather permitting)

Movies and TV

Chores

2 hours ago, johnny said:

What if you’re buzzed at the skins game 

I don't drink if I'm on call. Plus if I'm supposed to be on call during an event like a skins game, I'll plan ahead and have another engineer on my team cover me or trade on call days or something. If I can't get it covered then I don't go to the event. 

Sleep: 42

Work: 42.5

Free Time: 83.5

This does change when I'm in school however. Then 6-8 hours a week are spent in school, with whatever hours of the week spent on homework.

Free time is probably what you guessed it to be. Gaming, reading, TV, social events, etc.