Conan O'Brien Wants You to Know That Nothing Matters and You're Going to Die

SaysWho?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wj3wab/conan-obrien-interview-death-nihilism-all-our-graves-go-unattended-vgtrn

Late night's flaming orange beacon of light-turned-intrepid podcaster Conan O'Brien sat down for a chat with Dave Itzkoff of the New York Times recently to talk about his revamped TBS show.

It all started casually enough, with a question from Itzkoff about how O'Brien wants to "go out," before O'Brien veered into an existential pit of despair fast enough to make Jean-Paul Sartre's googly-eyes spin.

"At this point in my career, I could go out with a grand, 21-gun salute, and climb into a rocket and the entire Supreme Court walks out and they jointly press a button, I’m shot up into the air and there’s an explosion and it’s orange and it spells, 'Good night and God love,'" O'Brien said. "In this culture? Two years later, it’s going to be, 'Who’s Conan?' This is going to sound grim, but eventually, all our graves go unattended."

I had a great conversation with Albert Brooks once. When I met him for the first time, I was kind of stammering. I said, you make movies, they live on forever. I just do these late-night shows, they get lost, they’re never seen again and who cares? And he looked at me and he said, [Albert Brooks voice] “What are you talking about? None of it matters.” None of it matters? “No, that’s the secret. In 1940, people said Clark Gable is the face of the 20th Century. Who [expletive] thinks about Clark Gable? It doesn’t matter. You’ll be forgotten. I’ll be forgotten. We’ll all be forgotten.”

"It’s so funny because you’d think that would depress me," he said. "I was walking on air after that."

• Like 1

His Conan Visits... specials just went up on Netflix and they were all great. I think they were Cuba, Italy, Korea, Mexico, Israel, and Haiti. I'm sad that he is going to once per week, but I love his on-location bits the best, so I look forward to watching them. My biggest complaint is that I don't (and can't) watch TBS, so I wish he was on Netflix or some other streaming option.

I agree with this viewpoint (especially the part where he mentions that it sounds depressing but it really isn’t) and find it much preferable to the endless narcissism on social media where people desperately seek validation and purpose in their lives, careers, children, etc.  

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

His Conan Visits... specials just went up on Netflix and they were all great. I think they were Cuba, Italy, Korea, Mexico, Israel, and Haiti. I'm sad that he is going to once per week, but I love his on-location bits the best, so I look forward to watching them. My biggest complaint is that I don't (and can't) watch TBS, so I wish he was on Netflix or some other streaming option.

The Cuba one is my favorite followed by Armenia. Sooooo good. The South Korean one was great too.