Evangelical group wants gays removed from anti-lynching bill

An interesting battle to pick.

"The old saying is once that camel gets the nose in the tent, you can't stop them from coming the rest of the way in," Staver said in an interview with conservative Christian news outlet OneNewsNow. “This is a way to slip it in under a so-called anti-lynching bill, and to then to sort of circle the wagon and then go for the juggler [sic] at some time in the future."

Staver told OneNewsNow that his organization, which has been labeled an anti-LGBTQ “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center, is lobbying lawmakers in the House to have them remove the bill’s “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” language before taking a vote.

Similarly, the group encouraged Congress in November to remove language about "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" discrimination from a trade agreement with Mexico and Canada.

I was told, though, that the LGBT folk wouldn't be happy after gay marriage was legalized and why would that be?!

Interestingly, in the text of the bill itself there already seems to be some distinction that removes gays.

The first part says you can get up to 10 years for bodily injury, or up to life for causing death, kidnapping, or aggravated sexual abuse if the offense involves "actual or perceived race, color, religion, or national origin." That's pretty straightforward, but says nothing about gay people.

The second part specifies the same crimes and punishments as the first section, but only if the crime occurs anything across state lines (including use of phones/internet/mail/etc.). The second part applies to any offenses involving "actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability."

It's possible that I'm not reading it correctly or that there's a legal issue I'm unaware of, but I don't quite understand why the gender stuff and disabilities aren't covered in the first section, or why only religion and national origin are covered in both.