30,000 teachers about to strike in second-quarter school district in nation (LA)

55 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

They’ve been working without a contract for months now and are claiming that some classes have swelled to 50 students and that school sites only have access to a nurse once a week.

Education is another area where America trails the rest of the world by a huge amount. While American universities are amongst the best, its primary/high schools suck balls. Compare to most other western nations where teachers are:

- Unionized

- Paid well

- Respected

In my city teachers earn on average around $55,000-$60,000/yr and have full pension matching (7.5% match), health/vision/dental, etc. Then again, being a teacher here requires a university degree in Education, and most go for their masters as well (as you get a nice pay bump).

My wife makes $42k in the suburbs of Richmond, VA as a high school math teacher, with a four year degree in math education, and a minor in math (she took the same math classes I took for my minor as an engineer). She has a pension she has to pay into, and worse benefits than what I get (even with a penalty, it is better for her to be on my health insurance than stay with the county). Getting a master's isn't required, but could bump your pay by about $1k/year.

The high school my wife went to, in suburban Columbus Ohio, she would make about double what she makes now if we lived there and she worked there. It's tempting, but lol Ohio. Don't know about benefits but I'm pretty sure they have a pension.

Ohio has teachers unions, Virginia does not 

35 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My wife makes $42k in the suburbs of Richmond, VA as a high school math teacher, with a four year degree in math education, and a minor in math (she took the same math classes I took for my minor as an engineer). She has a pension she has to pay into, and worse benefits than what I get (even with a penalty, it is better for her to be on my health insurance than stay with the county). Getting a master's isn't required, but could bump your pay by about $1k/year.

The high school my wife went to, in suburban Columbus Ohio, she would make about double what she makes now if we lived there and she worked there. It's tempting, but lol Ohio. Don't know about benefits but I'm pretty sure they have a pension.

Ohio has teachers unions, Virginia does not 

Jesus that's crazy pay in Ohio. My wife is a teacher and is thankfully in one of the best districts in Texas (but still Texas...). Her pay is now around $56k and that is with a steady small raise each year. The amount of work and bullshit that goes with that job is obscene, she might be okay with it if she was making $70k+ haha 

My district starts its teachers at ~55k, which i think is about 5-6k more than most in the area, union, healthcare, pension all that jazz.  My brother's wife was a teacher in SC somewhere around Rock Hill and was making somewhere around the mid 30s i believe, and that was with handful of years there, i couldn't believe that shit, doubt they had much in the way of benefits either, thats barely more than a HS graduate like myself makes before talking about my benefits.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Education is another area where America trails the rest of the world by a huge amount. While American universities are amongst the best, its primary/high schools suck balls. Compare to most other western nations where teachers are:

- Unionized

- Paid well

- Respected

In my city teachers earn on average around $55,000-$60,000/yr and have full pension matching (7.5% match), health/vision/dental, etc. Then again, being a teacher here requires a university degree in Education, and most go for their masters as well (as you get a nice pay bump).

We need to put money in a wall not education!