The Mariners

thewhyteboar

8 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

It’s not always like this! 
Usually the opposite. 

I know, lol. I’m a Boston fan, so I certainly deal with my share of heartbreak and frustration. 

Since Boston is out, I’m pulling for Seattle the rest of the season. 

I love the ballpark, too. Got to see the roof come out. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Are you guys heading to Pink Gorilla?

We went to both after the game. Neat little stores, but all I got was a Cubone plush and a Kirby figure. 

It’s basically hard to find retro stuff we don’t already have. Only thing I pondered was Panzer Dragoon Zwie, but I wasn’t in the mood to spend $130 today. 

I can’t overstate how good Framber Valdez is at throwing baseballs, and how much losing in the World Series last year matured him by increasing his mental toughness. Guy simply doesn’t fold under pressure. He doesn’t mind working out of a jam. When he makes a bad pitch and somebody takes him deep, he settles back down and then gets 10 straight outs. 

Verlander

Valdez

McCullers

Urquidy

Javier

Garcia

There are no easy pitching matchups.

One thing I don’t think is being talked about enough with the new playoff format: the winners of the wild card series may end up burning their top three starters while the 1/2 seeds rest and set up their rotations to start at the top. Very likely that some of the wild card winners will either be starting the #4 guy game one of the DS or their #1 guy on short rest, and same for their #2 is game 2.

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Luckily the Mariners have a great top 4.

Castillo/Ray/Kirby/Gilbert

Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasmcurb your enthusiasm GIF

Like, I honestly don’t think the other AL teams have consistent enough offensive performances to beat the Ms starting pitching, when they are on, over a 5 game ALDS.

If the Ms bats are hot in October? A VERY dangerous team that could be tough to bet against in close games late.

Thankfully as an Astros fan, looks like the gang is getting healthy. Yordan’s hand wasn’t right for the last 6 weeks, and he finally broke threw with back to back games homers after being homerless for the longest stretch in his career so far.

Super utility guy Aledmys Diaz is back from the IL after 5 weeks. Pulled groin, ouch.

Closer Ryan Pressly is back after a couple weeks with a stiff neck.

Justin Verlander threw a Bullpen the other day, and they are just waiting a little longer for that leg to be 100%, and honestly, there is no rush. If he loses a Cy Young, oh freaking well.

And an underrated development: it’s been clear that Yuli Gurriel was hurt early in the season and developed some terrible habits at the plate as he tried to compensate. His average was more than 120 points off his batting title year of 2021, and the worst of his career in the MLB. Something changed in the last three weeks and his ABs have been so much better. Not just that he’s getting hits and hard contact (had his first home run in like 300 plate appearances tonight), but walking more and generally just seeing more pitches.

I wonder if there will be any thoughts between Ms, Jays, and arrays on tanking the last week for the 6 seed? You would get Cleveland in the WC and Yankees in the DS, instead of one of the other WC teams followed by the Astros in the DS.