Random Mobile Gaming Thread - did you know Netflix has about 100 free games included now?

I thought I’d make a thread I can use for when I wanna talk about random mobile stuff since there isn’t enough justification to slow its own thread for mobile games here.

I’ve been getting a bit more into Apple Arcade again and also finally have a gamepad attachment that lets me keep the case on so it’s sparked my interest a bit again along with macbook and vision support.

Seemed like a good time to check how netflix games had been doing and its expanded further than I realized! It’s at about 100 games now I see on ios. They are all included with your Netflix subscription if you have one. 

And it’s not all mobile junk either. Besides headliners like the GTA Trilogy remasters (with fixed lighting over the console/pc versions even) there stuff like Dead Cells, Oxenfree 2, Immortality, Spiritfarer, Deaths Door, Tmnt Shredders Revenge, even an exclusive Rainbow 6 game (though not what you are picturing!)

If you have a sub and a phone/tablet/tv streaming device it’s definitely worth checking out if there’s some stuff you are interested in for no extra cost. Dont forget you can use gamepads for most mobile games (when it makes sense) these days.

Second, I wanted to bring this game to your attention:

APPS.APPLE.COM

‎Gems finally do something , they will help you in your adventure! Now with Sanic RTX and Ame Roes RTX!! the SanicVerse is getting bigger Prepare yourself, more content is coming in the next...

Someone actually released a game based on weirdo Sonic memes and it’s kind of amazing. Kind of Sega to not get it kicked out. It’s kind of amazing and while it has ads and in app purchases, it doesn’t matter since you really are just there to play it for 5 minutes while high and be like lol. But it is more payable than you’d think!

Third, I’d like to call out Gibbon: Beyond the Trees which is absolutely stunning on apple vision but also really nice on a phone too. It’s auto moving one touch kinda gameplay with a few tricks but actual designed levels, not an endless runner. With some good environmental story telling in the background and swinging through can be quite thrilling when you gain momentum. Definitely check it out if you have Apple Arcade. It’s an older release and kinda buried in there for how good it is.

Looking forward to May 7th to hopefully be able to add an ipad pro to my mobile device list and maybe a big Arcade drop like last May.

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Do they have anything like a Football Manager type game but with NFL, MLB, or NBA?

Yes. I was on Netflix today and they have "Football Manager 2024". 

Oh yeah I forgot to mention finding the games. On ios I just do a publisher search on netflix (you can just go to the netflix app in app store and click on the company name) and then they all pull up. I assume android is the same but maybe they have a portal or something there.

Oh lol I just realized the Netflix app on ios provides an interface to access them all and you can make a “my list” of them in the app and then launch from it. Also one thing that’s nice is you only have to sign into one Netflix game then you just click on the profile in subsequent ones.

Also omg check out Cats&Soup

• 2 weeks later...

Two excellent platformers hit Netflix for mobile:

Sonic Mania Plus

Braid Remastered

The braid remaster is quite gorgeous, though on Steam you can update the original for $10 so I already started there. You can switch between the original visuals and the new visuals with the press of a button any time which I appreciate. Really shines on an oled display so perfect for deck oled or your phone.

Also the big new emulator news: Retroarch is now live on ios with tv/ipad/iphone apps. This brings most of the 90s to ios. In addition ppsspp brings psp to ios though this likely works fine in Retroarch as well.

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I was thinking about Braid recently for some reason. It’s been long enough now, I bet that would feel like a fresh experience.

Yeah I unfortunately don’t remember a damn thing (besides the ‘twist’ itself but it wasn’t exactly a surprise first play through) so it still took me like 30 minutes to figure out the puzzle pieces in the first level.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

Also the big new emulator news: Retroarch is now live on ios with tv/ipad/iphone apps. This brings most of the 90s to ios. In addition ppsspp brings psp to ios though this likely works fine in Retroarch as well.

Jeff Gerstmann has a pretty lengthy post on this

WWW.PATREON.COM

Get more from Jeff Gerstmann on Patreon

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Jeff Gerstmann has a pretty lengthy post on this

WWW.PATREON.COM

Get more from Jeff Gerstmann on Patreon

Yeah the JIT stuff is unfortunate but hopefully  all this momentum will get the rules to change  or someone finds a better work around. Maybe they’ll allow it with ios18!

Just trying some N64 on retroarch and it’s quite excellent with my M4 easily handling n64 jit or not lol. Playing at 4k and retroarch even has a frame gen sorta deal (sorta more like lossless) so 60fps too and it looks amazing on the dual oleds. Roms I just used onedrive. You can use the files app and a onedrive account and transfer them all in bulk that way if you wanted to also. 

Fun fact: There is a Virtua Tennis game on ios that is actually pretty damn good and has a world tour mode and everything. It’s ad supported but only $2 to remove the ads and bam you got virtua tennis.

The version of Dead Cells on both Apple Arcade and Netflix is the version with all dlc! I didn’t have the castlevania dlc and have wanted to try that so that’s a good reason to fire that up again.

It's so weird to me that anyone that actually would care about emulating on their phone and is excited to do so would be trapped in the Apple ecosystem, waiting until daddy Apple gives permission for you to have an emulator, lol.

It’s only weird if you frame it that way idk. I’m not excited that emulation now exists or something, I have an extensive set up on my deck. I’ve used emulation on ios before also with jailbreaks and alt store. 

But emulation isn’t the main driver of my phone by any means, and I have many devices that can do it well, I’m just excited for it as an addition that is now a supported method on the devices I actually want to use.

Getting devices that I want to use less for everything else never made sense to me for such a small use case, but as a bonus it’s sweet. 

Have you tried Wuthering Waves yet? I see this blowing up and it just came out, looks like a stylish actionish game that is genshin adjacent

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wuthering-waves/id6475033368

WUTHERINGWAVES.KUROGAMES.COM

Wuthering Waves is a story-rich open-world action RPG with a high degree of freedom. You wake from your slumber as Rover, joined by a vibrant cast of Resonators on a journey to reclaim your lost memories and surmount the Lament. Wuthering Waves is currently under development. Follow us for more information.

25 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Have you tried Wuthering Waves yet? I see this blowing up and it just came out, looks like a stylish actionish game that is genshin adjacent

Wuthering Waves is a story-rich open-world action RPG with a high degree of freedom. You wake from your slumber as Rover, joined by a vibrant cast of Resonators on a journey to reclaim your lost memories and surmount the Lament. Wuthering Waves is currently under development. Follow...

I was hype and preordered on all my ios/mac devices.

There is no gamepad support on ios.

• Hype 1

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Wuthering Waves is a story-rich open-world action RPG with a high degree of freedom. You wake from your slumber as Rover, joined by a vibrant cast of Resonators on a journey to reclaim your lost memories and surmount the Lament. Wuthering Waves is currently under...

Damn, I was going to start a thread about this but checked here to make sure it wasn't mentioned first. Basically it's Genshin with lower quality graphics/polish but better combat. Timing your dodge correctly will slow down time so you can get some attacks in and you can also parry attacks with good timing. 

7 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Damn, I was going to start a thread about this but checked here to make sure it wasn't mentioned first. Basically it's Genshin with lower quality graphics/polish but better combat. Timing your dodge correctly will slow down time so you can get some attacks in and you can also parry attacks with good timing. 

You still can. Maybe the SEO will get us some Chinese users!

• Shocked 1

On 5/25/2024 at 8:42 AM, gamer.tv said:

I’m being very, very lazy here but I can I sync my PS5 controller to a 2023 Samsung and play there games with the controller? 

A 2023 samsung tv or phone? To your phone, yes, though it’s best to get a clip of some kind. To your tv, maybe? If it’s full android tv then you might be able to play the netflix games there or if you have some other kind of stream box. 

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Do you need an always on connection?  Or is the check in once per day or something?

Going to be travelling next month, I might want to load up the ipad with some stuff.

Im not sure how it works exactly I think it depends on if the game requires online or not but the Netflix sign in will stick as long as you’re launched the game once on the device previously.

APPS.APPLE.COM

‎Available exclusively for Netflix members. Charge through canyons, drift across dunes and rocket past your opponents in this extreme off-road racing experience.   Forget everything you know about racing...

So digging through some more netflix stuff and found this gem hidden in there. People wanting a new arcade Rally game should definitely check this out.

Good sense of speed (not surprising for Asphalt) with turbo boost friendly jumps off ramps across crazy tracks and it looks like a good variety of tracks. 

Also has a full campaign mode. You do unlock loot chest type things and cars and parts and all that stuff. I’m not really a fan besides like just unlocking cars and tracks as I progress but modern racers all have that shit in them too anyway. 

But as a Netflix exclusive it’s all in-game with no ability to spend real money whatsoever beyond subscribing to netflix in app if you don’t have an account already. So in that way its actually less scammy than the console racers.

Biggest downside so far is it does seem like a real fun arcade rally game and games that I really like that are replayable I don’t want to only exist on subscription. Could just vanish some day and that’s that. Same thing with Sonic Dream, some of these sub games really are too good to be sub only and have their existence so fragile.

Checked out Nickelodeon Extreme Tennis on Arcade and it’s quite fun! It’s in Vertical mode so you’d want a gameplay clip that supports tate but then it works quite being that vertical in a tennis game.

It’s a very Mario Tennis style tennis game only the story mode is less annoying than the last one. Lots of single player content to do but the “stories” are pretty much just generic one liners like a fighting game. Also you only start with Spongebob and have to unlock everything. Including two of the shots. But it seems to go pretty quick and I got Michelangelo after about 7 matches.

I was pleasantly surprised and will go back. Especially because i NEED to unlock Garfield