Florida back in play for 2024?

Florida Supreme Court allows one of nation’s strictest abortion bans to take effect

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2024/04/01/abortion-florida-supreme-court-ballot

Florida’s conservative Supreme Court ruled Monday that the state’s constitution does not protect abortion rights, allowing one of the country’s strictest and most far-reaching abortion bans to take effect in 30 days.

But in a separate decision, the high court also ruled that an amendment to enshrine abortion rights in the state’s constitution can go on the November ballot, for a vote that could potentially undo the new strict abortion ban in a matter of month. 

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The threshold for amendments to the Florida constitution to pass is 60% so I'm not hopeful for either of these passing.

Doesn't need to pass to drive turnout.

• True 1

Florida has become a far right haven. It's not in play, nor will it be any time soon.

That being said, abortion rights is a powerful enough issue that it's going to lose the GOP not only the White House, but many down ballot elections.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

13 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The threshold for amendments to the Florida constitution to pass is 60% so I'm not hopeful for either of these passing.

I disagree somewhat. Progressive issues have done well on the ballot, from restoring felons' voting rights (yes, state gov't found a way to circumvent that, but I'm talking strictly in terms of voter support), to $15 minimum wage, to medical marijuana. Kansas and Ohio wouldn't have passed abortion with a 60% threshold, but 57%/59% makes this seem doable for either.

And helping turnout for down-ballot Dems would be helpful here, not to mention the effort of getting rid of Scott.