2 Peel Region school boards reschedule PA day because of solar eclipse

WWW.CBC.CA

Two Peel Region school boards have rescheduled a professional activity day in light of the 2024 total solar eclipse, citing risks of students looking directly at the phenomenon.

Two Peel Region school boards have rescheduled a professional activity day in light of the 2024 total solar eclipse, citing risks of students looking directly at the phenomenon. 

Peel District School Board (PDSB) and Dufferin Peel Catholic School Board say a PA day originally planned for May 17 will be moved to April 8, the day of the eclipse.

The eclipse is one of the most significant astronomical events this year. It is expected to begin at approximately 2 p.m. and last until roughly 4:30 p.m. 

That coincides with "student dismissal times," PDSB said in a news release.

Viewing a solar eclipse without appropriate eye protection can cause partial or complete loss of eyesight, the board said. The decision to move the PA day was "made to ensure that students will not be outdoors during the total solar eclipse."

PDSB parent Tom Ellard said the decision "demonstrates illogical decisions justified by nonsensical harm reduction ideas."

"The sky will be the same sky for children at home or at school. Too bad that this solar eclipse is to be feared and not made into a fascinating science lecture on how to view our amazing sun and its impact on our small planet.

Saw this headline, and thought "cool, they want the kids to be able to experience the solar eclipse". 

I was immediately crestfallen when I read the article -- they don't think its safe for kids to walk home from school during a solar eclipse.

My kid's school board rocks.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

(rubs temples)

Donald Trump Meme GIF

My mom kept me and sisters home from school during the last complete solar eclipse (some 30 years ago) It was great because I didn’t have to perform at the school play (all have stage fright) and my grandparents were in town. Last year the Toronto news were talking about this upcoming eclipse and possibility of keeping kids home that day. Said they want them educated but safe and thought special events would pop up for people to take in the event.