What’s your favorite type of Pokémon game?

Biggie

Which type of Pokémon game is your favorite?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of Pokémon game is your favorite?

• OG- Red/Blue/Green/Yellow
    • Old School- Gold/Silver Black/White Diamond/Pearl
    • Current- Sword/Shield Violet/Scarlet
    • New School- Legends Arceus or Let’s Go Eevee and Pikachu
    • I don’t play Pokémon because I’m not one of the cool kids

Legends style is the top spot, though Scarlet/Violet, being mostly Legends, are close behind.

I actually find most of the older style games unbearably dull. I think, technical shenanigans aside, the series is moving in a good direction. If they could find someone who knows how to, like, optimize their games, they'd be fantastic.

Okay so I’ve played Shining Pearl, Legends Arceus, Violet, Shield/Sword and without a doubt I enjoy the old school type better. It’s just the Pokémon I remember from years ago. It’s very structured. Second favorite would be Arceus. It still maintains some of the old school aspects but has lots of QOL improvements. I also love the Mon’s in that game. Least favorite would be the Violet and Shield/Sword. It’s just to new with all of the other crap thrown in the game that me personally does not want or enjoy. 

Legends Arceus is the closest I’ve ever come to finishing one of them. I think the idea is so solid but the games they make are…frankly bad. Or if I’m being generous, they’re made for like kids under 12. I feel like palworld and that other Pokémon clone have at least hinted to big devs that there is an underserved population of players that want that sort of monster collecting but actually play a good game while they do it. 

A game I was fascinated by in high school was Digimon World. It was too hard for me at the time / maybe horrifically flawed, but I was super into digimon and that game at least had something to it. I know there’s been a ton of other games in that series but the first one was the only one I ever tried.  

And I still have nothing against Pokémon other than I was interested in why others like it. From what I gather they aren't very good games technically but have a fun gameplay loop. 

That's why I asked how you even got into this series because of your age. I'm 42 and was too old for it when it came out. So you have me by 12 years or so which confuses me how you got into it in the first place. It's no big deal and you're completely overreacting lol.

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

And I still have nothing against Pokémon other than I was interested in why others like it. From what I gather they aren't very good games technically but have a fun gameplay loop. 

That's why I asked how you even got into this series because of your age. I'm 42 and was too old for it when it came out. So you have me by 12 years or so which confuses me how you got into it in the first place. It's no big deal and you're completely overreacting lol.

What does too old for it even mean lol. Got news for ya Mr. Mature. We are all playing video games as grown ass men. 

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

What does too old for it even mean lol. Got news for ya Mr. Mature. We are all playing video games as grown ass men. 

You know what I mean. But I honestly have nothing against you enjoying Pokémon. I'm a grown adult but enjoy adult games. The average gamer is 36 yrs old so I'm right around that. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

You know what I mean. But I honestly have nothing against you enjoying Pokémon. I'm a grown adult but enjoy adult games. The average gamer is 36 yrs old so I'm right around that. 

Teach me how to be all grown up

How about we drop this. You playing Pokémon is not a big deal in the slightest. I hope you enjoy your time with it!

Well you’re the grown up. What you says goes. lol 

pLaY pOkÉmOn DaMn YoU

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Well you’re the grown up. What you says goes. lol 

pLaY pOkÉmOn DaMn YoU

I'm back on Bethesda's balls. Still haven't fired up my deck and I just can't put my finger on why. Starfield is a good time. Although going from a complete masterpiece to a flawed and buggy Starfield was tough to stomach 30 minutes in. Then I settled in. 

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm back on Bethesda's balls. Still haven't fired up my deck and I just can't put my finger on why. Starfield is a good time. Although going from a complete masterpiece to a flawed and buggy Starfield was tough to stomach 30 minutes in. Then I settled in. 

Been playing Pokémon Shield all night

Looks good visually and it scored well from IGN and GameSpot. 

It’s a newer/current Pokémon game. Not as new as Scarlet/Violet but much better imo. Still the best is Shining Pearl which is old school Pokémon. 

45 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

as I said though - if I’m being generous. The game doesn’t give kids enough credit and still sucks unfortunately. And just hasn’t evolved beyond visuals in what like two decades now. 

they’re definitely slow to make improvements but also they sell so well they don’t really have much incentive to do everything people ask for. honestly just happy they gave us two kinda open world games lol 

if i didn’t grow up playing pokemon i probably wouldn’t be into it. for adults wanting a challenge online ranked battles is the place to be. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

as I said though - if I’m being generous. The game doesn’t give kids enough credit and still sucks unfortunately. And just hasn’t evolved beyond visuals in what like two decades now. 

By saying it hasn't evolved beyond visuals shows me you haven't played a Pokémon game is a very long time. I've put thousands of hours into several Pokémon games since their GBA days and I can tell you a lot has changed. The changes were the reasons I made the Thread/Poll.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

By saying it hasn't evolved beyond visuals shows me you haven't played a Pokémon game is a very long time. I've put thousands of hours into several Pokémon games since their GBA days and I can tell you a lot has changed. The changes were the reasons I made the Thread/Poll.

I’ve played X, the first switch game they released, and Arceus. Arceus was def an evolution and it held my attention better than any of the others did, but I got really bored with it by the end. It’s got the bones of a good game. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

I’ve played X, the first switch game they released, and Arceus. Arceus was def an evolution and it held my attention better than any of the others did, but I got really bored with it by the end. It’s got the bones of a good game. 

I wouldn’t mind at all if they took the mainline games into the direction of Arceus.