New "Star Trek" movie in development to be helmed by main director of "Andor"

DEADLINE.COM

Paramount is Expanding Its 'Star Trek' Universe with Toby Haynes on board to direct a new film in the new 'Star Trek' feature film universe

Even as it continues to develop the final chapter in its main Star Trek series, Paramount is looking to further explore the IP. The studio has tapped Toby Haynes to direct a new film that expands on the Star Trek universe, with Seth Grahame-Smith penning the script. J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot is producing.

Sources tell Deadline that while plot details are being kept under wraps, the project is an origin story that takes place decades before the 2009 Star Trek film that rebooted the franchise. Insiders add that the final chapter in that main series, Star Trek 4, remains in active development.

In doing so, the studios hands over the reins to two individuals familiar with dealing with major IP. Haynes was the main director on the Star Wars series Andor, which has become one of the more critically acclaimed series in that own universe since Lucasfilm began developing series for Disney+. Andor is up for eight Emmys on Monday including Best Drama Series.

Smith made his big break as a novelist with hits like Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and has since turned into one of the go-to writer-producers in the genre and fanboy worlds. His credits include producing It and penning The Lego Batman Movie

• Hype 1

3 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Commissar SFLUFAN Did they ever have a tribute to Anton Yelchin?

Yelchin was memorialized in the online video game Star Trek Online. He received a memorial plaque alongside several other late Star Trek actors, including Nimoy, James Doohan, and Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. A Starfleet vessel named "Yelchin" is mentioned twice in Star Trek: Discovery episode "Unification III" (S03E07) and again in the season four finale "Coming Home" (S04E13).

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 11:43 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Sick of Star Trek writers’ obsession with going back in time.

Both as a plot device using time travel and prequel stuff. The time travel stuff I hate the most is traveling back in time to modern-ish time. I hate the “how does this technology that the audience uses every day work? Hahahaha” No! Stop it. 

Don’t get me wrong, I can and have enjoyed Strange New Worlds. But I am tired of James Kirk finding his way to the Enterprise every other week. Also there’s no tension with the established characters, because we know where they end up over the next decades. I get that the show was always meant to be fan service and like a good faith olive branch and apology letter to the most basement dwelling fans that hated every design decision in Discovery season 1. But I really wish the ship was not the Enterprise, the crew was 100% original and unknown characters, that could have the same character traits, going on original missions that aren’t a bunch of callbacks or prequels to TOS episodes. 

Star Wars and Star Trek both now seem so afraid of their fans that they’re trapped. Bound to beloved time periods and characters. They’re afraid to do something new, because fans revolt and refuse to give a chance if they don’t see things they immediately recognize they already love. 

• Halal 1

50 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Star Wars and Star Trek both now seem so afraid of their fans that they’re trapped. Bound to beloved time periods and characters. They’re afraid to do something new, because fans revolt and refuse to give a chance if they don’t see things they immediately recognize they already love. 

I don't think Star Trek is afraid of its fans. It's possible that they're still operating on a 90s-era perception of what was popular with the fans, which would explain why they're so stuck on the TOS era and Picard--DS9 in particular but also Enterprise saw a huge boost in popularity once people could binge it on Netflix. But those viewing numbers lie with Netflix, who knows how much of that CBS/Viacom/Paramount got to see when the streaming licenses came up for renegotiation.

But I think it's more that the people in charge of Trek have themselves completely convinced that there wouldn't be enough wide-based appeal in giving the fans what they want, so they think they have to ignore the diehard fans if they want the franchise to be profitable because they think they won't have an audience if they don't cater to non-Trekkies, and TOS and Captain Picard are the most recognizable parts of Trek to non-Trekkies. I know one thing really warping their perspective on what is and isn't profitable with Trek is that the TNG remasters massively underperformed for them. If we can't even make money on TNG...

On the TNG remasters I'm convinced it was just getting the pricing wrong. They released the season sets for $80 a pop while simultaneously releasing them to all the streaming services. Then they released the seven season box set for weirdly cheap compared to how much they charged for the individual seasons. If they'd released the season sets for like $30 a pop they wold have gotten lots of people buying them just to have a hard copy even though they were also available on streaming. Then they could have double-dipped on a lot of those people with a $400 box set if they'd made it a nice collector's item.

But then CBS/Viacom/Paramount has always had a really weird inability to figure out how to profit off Trekkies despite Trekkies definitely being people they easily sell tons of merch to.

or tl;dr the CBS/Viacom/Paramount execs don't really get what people like about Trek and are convinced that catering to Trekkies is the absolute last thing they should be doing, it's really the exact opposite of how Disney/Lucas feels hemmed in by Star Wars fans

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't think Star Trek is afraid of its fans. It's possible that they're still operating on a 90s-era perception of what was popular with the fans, which would explain why they're so stuck on the TOS era and Picard--DS9 in particular but also Enterprise saw a huge boost in popularity once people could binge it on Netflix. But those viewing numbers lie with Netflix, who knows how much of that CBS/Viacom/Paramount got to see when the streaming licenses came up for renegotiation.

But I think it's more that the people in charge of Trek have themselves completely convinced that there wouldn't be enough wide-based appeal in giving the fans what they want, so they think they have to ignore the diehard fans if they want the franchise to be profitable. I know one thing really warping their perspective on what is and isn't profitable with Trek is that the TNG remasters massively underperformed for them. If we can't even make money on TNG...

On the TNG remasters I'm convinced it was just getting the pricing wrong. They released the season sets for $80 a pop while simultaneously releasing them to all the streaming services. Then they released the seven season box set for weirdly cheap compared to how much they charged for the individual seasons. If they'd released the season sets for like $30 a pop they wold have gotten lots of people buying them just to have a hard copy even though they were also available on streaming. Then they could have double-dipped on a lot of those people with a $400 box set if they'd made it a nice collector's item.

But then CBS/Viacom/Paramount has always had a really weird inability to figure out how to profit off Trekkies despite Trekkies definitely being people they easily sell tons of merch to.

Agreed on the TNG price for the most part. So much work went into them and they’re so well done that they sort of necessitate a higher price. But list price for the whole season? You’re spending $600. Ridiculous. I own seasons 1-4 on blu ray and have only bought when they hit below $40. I’m doing yet another rewatch and am finishing season 4 and none of the streaming platforms I sub to have it anymore so I’m going to need to buy season 5 here soon. But on Amazon it’s sitting at over $60 right now. A bit high IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://trekmovie.com/2024/01/29/zoe-saldana-says-paramount-still-wants-to-bring-back-kelvin-cast-for-one-last-star-trek-movie/

“I know. I mean I heard what you heard in the trades. I just heard that they’re gearing up to do a new one with a younger sort of, take on it. Like it’s been off,” Saldana admitted. “I don’t know if it’s from the before or the after, but that they really still hope to grab all of us veterans and bring us back for one last round. Listen, I know it’s a lot to wrangle a whole bunch of people with busy schedules. But, working with J.J. Abrams, and for J.J. Abrams at Bad Robot was always just a wonderful and beautiful experience for me. So, if I get to do that one last time, I would be so grateful.”

That memorial in Star Trek Online consists of a name on a marque that has the names of everyone that has passed away from the franchise. On a similar note, just last week Walter Koenig (Chekhov) gave an interview where he praised the young actor that played his character, and it was a pretty moving choice of words to honor the young man.

On a more important note: If they're making a new Star Trek, please let it be true!

6 minutes ago, brucoe said:

On a more important note: If they're making a new Star Trek, please let it be true!

One new Star Trek film started filming today:

DEADLINE.COM

Production is underway and new casting set on Star Trek: Section 31, Paramount+'s upcoming original movie starring Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh.

Production is underway on Star Trek: Section 31, Paramount+’s upcoming original movie starring Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh. Rounding out the cast are Omari Hardwick (Power), Kacey Rahl (Hannibal), Emmy winner Sam Richardson (Ted Lasso), Sven Ruygrok (One Piece), Robert Kazinsky (Pacific Rim), Humberly Gonzalez (Ginny & Georgia) and James Hiroyuki Liao (Barry) .

Yeoh reprises her role as Emperor Philippa Georgiou, a character she first played in Star Trek: Discovery‘s first season, who joins a secret division of Starfleet. Tasked with protecting the United Federation of Planets, she also must face the sins of her past.