2024 comes with some new anime...

Ghost_MH

The fall anime season was pretty damn good. I think my favorite was Pluto on Netflix. Seriously, you all should go watch that. Everyone was stuck on Scott P:ilgrim they missed the other best anime of the season, also on Netflix.

Let's see what we have coming next year...

Solo Leveling is probably the most hotly anticipated. I really wish more Korean webtoons were animated. I can think of a dozen that I think would make for absolutely sublime anime and Solo Leveling is one of them.

We've got more Mashle coming our way...

Chained Soldier is one of those "Japan, are you OK?" anime. Shocked this one is even getting an anime.

Speaking of anime I didn't think would ever be made. Gushing over Magical Girels about a magical girl that discovers she has a kink for torturing magical girls?

Let's get back to the world of the tame. Netflix is doing a simulcast for the latest entry in the weirdly crowded cooking isekai subgenre with Delicious in Dungeon...

What the? We're actually getting more Blue Exorcist? We really doing the whole 6-7 years between seasons, aren't we?

Speaking of a blue moon. Every few years Bones gets to step away from like My Hero Academia and Bungo Stray Dogs and do whatever they want. Last time around they gave us Carole & Tuesday and SK8 the Infinity. This time around we're getting Metallic Rouge...

I've been looking forward to The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic because the premise is so dumb, I love it. My question: Does healing magic rewind injuries or speed up recovery? If it's the latter, I can totally buy using healing magic to get swole...

I guess I should include some romcom here, even if this season doesn't have anything that really piques my interest. There is Hokkaido Gals are Super Adorable...

A Sign of Affection looks a little more mature, but seems to lean more toward the romance side of the genre. Why is it always the girls with a handicap in these?

Eh...Season seems, fine-ish. Nothing really standing out, but that usually seems to be the case with the winter season.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Give me One Punch Man season 3, you cowards!

Season 3 should already be in production. We just don't have a release date. It was announced back in 22, so we should get some more news later this year. It's rare for an anime to get announced and then get no news for a couple of years unless there are serious production woes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone enjoying any of the anime currently airing?

Gushing Over Magical Girls is for perverts and degenerates, so I guess that makes me one of them now. It's actually hilarious and a ton of fun. Nobody should go out of their way to subscribe to HiDive for it, though.

Metallic Rogue has been a huge disappointment so far. I'm three episodes in and it still feels like all style, no substance. I'm also not super convinced lore dumps we're likely to receive later in the series really turns out around.

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is a ton of fun. It's a typical isekai, but I like the concept of healers should be tanks to save lives in the front lines.

Frieren is still the best anime anywhere right now, so no surprise there.

I started Frieren on the weekend. I was initially hesitant to watch it but now that I've started I'm glad I did. Mashle is kind of mediocre and repeats a lot of lame jokes but it's good enough that I keep watching and enjoy it. I'm liking Solo Leveling, I'm not about to stop and wait but it seems like it would have been better binged. Still watching One Piece.

I'm currently going through Sonny Boy (which is amazing) but that's a few years old. The only anime that looked good from Fall 2023 and now Winter 2024 were:

-Frieren

-Pluto

-Ooku: The Inner Chambers

-Solo Leveling

-Metallic Rouge

I wait for a season of anime to end before I can tell what from that season was good, so I can't say much about Solo Leveling and Metallic Rouge, they're just the only ones that looked different/better than the usual anime stuff for this season but we'll know more at the end of March. What Ghost_MH said about Metallic Rouge isn't promising though. But Frieren, Pluto, and Ooku (from Fall 2023) look great so I'll definitely get to those at some point.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm currently going through Sonny Boy (which is amazing) but that's a few years old. The only anime that looked good from Fall 2023 and now Winter 2024 were:

-Frieren

-Pluto

-Ooku: The Inner Chambers

-Solo Leveling

-Metallic Rouge

I wait for a season of anime to end before I can tell what from that season was good, so I can't say much about Solo Leveling and Metallic Rouge, they're just the only ones that looked different/better than the usual anime stuff for this season but we'll know more at the end of March. What Ghost_MH said about Metallic Rouge isn't promising though. But Frieren, Pluto, and Ooku (from Fall 2023) look great so I'll definitely get to those at some point.

I was really looking forward to Metallic Rouge. A flashy take of a world similar to Pluto by Bones? Sure, I'm in. I'm still ready to throw some money down for some of the robots in the series because I really like their designs. Animation is great, art is great, English dub is great...I like the characters. That's probably enough for most people. I just have zero idea why anything that is happening is happening. Three episodes in, still completely lost, but not with mystery. The plot just hasn't really presented itself yet. Maybe others will enjoy it more than me. I went over to check out ANN's episode reviews and they have the first two episodes a 4.5/5 and the third a 3/5.

The series so far is fun and maybe that's good enough. However, I'm having trouble getting into that sort of fun just coming off Pluto that dealt with a lot of the same themes and subject matter but with real grace and intrigue.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian said:

I am watching Solo leveling but I think I’m ready to put it on the back burner. I find it extremely generic so far. 

Yikes, not a great sign. That's now both shows (this and Metallic Rouge) I thought had potential this season. Hopefully it gets better.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I was really looking forward to Metallic Rouge. A flashy take of a world similar to Pluto by Bones? Sure, I'm in. I'm still ready to throw some money down for some of the robots in the series because I really like their designs. Animation is great, art is great, English dub is great...I like the characters. That's probably enough for most people. I just have zero idea why anything that is happening is happening. Three episodes in, still completely lost, but not with mystery. The plot just hasn't really presented itself yet. Maybe others will enjoy it more than me. I went over to check out ANN's episode reviews and they have the first two episodes a 4.5/5 and the third a 3/5.

The series so far is fun and maybe that's good enough. However, I'm having trouble getting into that sort of fun just coming off Pluto that dealt with a lot of the same themes and subject matter but with real grace and intrigue.

It sounds like unlike Pluto or Sonny Boy or something, perhaps Metallic Rouge is just more typical-style anime? If so makes sense it's not nearly as good as something like Pluto. Hopefully it gets better. I think I agree with your take that this winter 2024 anime season seems fine at best. Not seeing a lot that's great. Other shows I noted (some of which you have mentioned) that aren't really in genres I like but could be good in general from winter 2024 are listed below . I can't really tell if they're good yet until they air in full but most I probably would never watch (I don't really do comedies, isekai, CGDCT, or romance unless it's really good which counts out most anime every season but I do note them). :p After Solo Leveling and Metallic Rouge I thought Ninja Kamui and Meiji Gekken could be good maybe. This is ignoring shows that started in the fall 2023 season (Frieren, Apothecary Diaries, Undead Unluck) and shows that are getting their season 2+ (Maschle, Blue Exorcist, The Fire Hunter, High Card, Urusei Yatsura, etc.). 

-A Sign of Affection (adults/romance; Ajia-do)

-Sasaki and Peeps (adults/comedy/isekai; Silver Link)

-The Unwanted Undead Adventurer (action/fantasy; Connect)

-Bucchigiri?! (delinquents/school/fantasy; Mappa)

-Delicious in Dungeon (comedy/gourmet/fantasy; Studio Trigger)

-The Witch and the Beast (adults/action/fantasy; Yokohama Animation Lab)

-Sengoku Youko (adventure/myth; White Fox)

-Ishura (action/fantasy; Passione)

-The Demon Prince of Momochi House (romance/fantasy; Drive)

-Ninja Kamui (action/adventure; E&H Production)

-Meiji Gekken: 1874 (historical/samurai; Tsumugi Akita Animation Lab)

-Monsters: 103 Mercies Dragon Damnation (fantasy; E&H Production)

Having a good time with saski and peeps and unwanted undead.  Also have enjoyed solo leveling and the wrong way to use healing magic.  Another barely Isekai with a decent premise is the weakest tamer collecting trash.  And if anyone liked the great snow sea from last year crunchy roll put out the movie that finishes that story last month 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last episode of Frieren is out later this week and is still rated as one of the best anime of all time. Honestly, that's pretty deserved. I love the world Frieren builds. The only thing I don't like is that the anime covers like 3/4 of the manga, so it'll be years before we can get another season of anime.