Microsoft ending support for Win 10 waste problem

Remarkableriots

https://www.reuters.com/technology/microsoft-ending-support-windows-10-could-send-240-mln-pcs-landfills-report-2023-12-21/

Dec 21 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) plan to end support for Windows 10 operating system could result in about 240 million personal computers (PCs) being disposed, potentially adding to landfill waste, Canalys Research said.

The electronic waste from these PCs could weigh an estimated 480 million kilograms, equivalent to 320,000 cars.

While many PCs could remain functional for years post the end of OS support, Canalys warned demand for devices without security updates could be low.

That's a lot of potential electronic waste.

I’ll be on this train as well, prompted by this thread.  My aging i5 barely missed the cut for Windows 11.

I won’t have a lot of disposable income over the next two years.  Probably not enough to build the PC I’d actually want all at once before the cutoff.

Smart to go with the GPU last, other parts first?  I’m in no hurry regardless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think this is being overblown a bit. What is likely to happen is that MS will extend the date a few times until it doesn't really matter as much, like they always do.

Yeah, chances are I wouldn’t need to be ready by that October.  Would be nice to spend a little the following Black Friday.

What they will probably due is expand eligibility for Windows 11 upgrades to unsupported hardware-- they will already have achieved their aim of forcing the industry to incorporate security features in the hardware.  It makes no sense to spend $$$ developing security patches for Windows 10, if most of the hardware in use is actually capable of running Windows 11., 

I hate changes like operating systems. I really have like W10 and I am constantly harassed by Microsoft to upgrade to W11. I know it's "FREE" and all but I a creature of habit and will have to be forced. Like I said though it's W11 for my next PC build, It's just now on this particular self built PC I'm absolutely fine sticking to W10!

4 hours ago, HardAct said:

I hate changes like operating systems. I really have like W10 and I am constantly harassed by Microsoft to upgrade to W11. I know it's "FREE" and all but I a creature of habit and will have to be forced. Like I said though it's W11 for my next PC build, It's just now on this particular self built PC I'm absolutely fine sticking to W10!

It's basically exactly the same.

There is zero reason not to upgrade to windows 11, it’s basically just like any other upgrade you’ve done to Windows 10 except you have to change the taskbar back to the left if that bothers you. Especially if you are a pc gamer and like hdr.