Post-acquisitions, Microsoft makes make renewed push to put 1st party games and Games Pass on rival consoles. UPDATE: Phil denies Games Pass

crispy4000

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

"It's a bit of a change of strategy," Microsoft admits.

"It's a bit of a change of strategy. Not announcing anything broadly here, but our mission is to bring our first-party experiences [and] our subscription services to every screen that can play games," Stuart said. "That means smart TVs, that means mobile devices, that means what we would have thought of as competitors in the past like PlayStation and Nintendo."

Stuart said Game Pass is a "high margin" business for Microsoft, along with first-party games and advertising. These are all areas that Microsoft plans to expand into significantly in the time ahead, Stuart said. The executive added that buying Activision Blizzard helps Microsoft get there faster than it might have been able to on its own.

The big question:  What would it take for Sony and Nintendo to agree to put a rival subscription service on their machines?

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ok cool, so when is it coming to deck??

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The ball is well and truly in Microsoft’s court.

From a year and a half ago.  My guess is that the leverage Valve has in the PC space has (thus far) kept it from happening.

Like Nintendo, Activision-Blizzard royalties aren't a huge factor in their buisness.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Post-aqusitions, Microsoft makes make renewed push to put 1st party games and Games Pass on rival consoles
4 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s just funny that Valve totally wants it to happen, Microsoft totally wants gamepass on every device - but still nothing. It seems like a win/win to me honestly. It couldn’t possibly be a tech issue?

Don't see why it would be when they worked it out with EA.  EA Play Pro not being available on Steam is probably a clue.

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Don't see why it would be when they worked it out with EA.  EA Play Pro not being available on Steam is probably a clue.

To be clear, you are saying that it’s Valve that won’t allow it because they don’t want people to have too much easy access to free games? Or because Valve would want gamepass sold via Steam?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

To be clear, you are saying that it’s Valve that won’t allow it because they don’t want people to have too much easy access to free games? Or because Valve would want gamepass sold via Steam?

I think EA couldn't strike the sort of deal they desired to make Steam EA Play Pro work for their business model.

Another point I'll make:  Nintendo or Sony shouldn't look this as any sort of long term commitment from Microsoft unless its signed in ink.

There's the clear examples of games like Starfield and Hi-Fi Rush not making it to PS5.  But less obviously, the last non-Minecraft Microsoft game on Switch was Ori 2 in 2020.

They've kept changing their minds with Nintendo.  The very least they could do is port Pentiment, but nope.

I guess I’m asking so who do you think is the hold out with this deal - MS or Valve? MS I assume, simply would want the app to be in the store.

Edit: I guess off the top of my head it could be an app like Heroic - its own launcher that installs independently and you launch the games from there 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I guess I’m asking so who do you think is the hold out with this deal - MS or Valve? MS I assume, simply would want the app to be in the store.

It could either be that they've worked out the deal already and just had to get the tech ready, or there's an impasse over royalties.

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s just funny that Valve totally wants it to happen, Microsoft totally wants gamepass on every device - but still nothing.

I think they non-officially backed the Roger Ally when it came out so they're letting it stew instead of working on something.

Or maybe they are working on something and it's taking a long time. Who knows? :p

Just imagine if it was only "Games Pass Core" that comes to PS5, but most new 1st party games get ported, eventually.

I could honestly see that sort of thing happening.  It'd be super silly, yes.  But wouldn't hurt Sony's home base advantage on their machines.

But also, that's the sort of deal that might exist if Microsoft didn't pressure their leverage more...

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

At this point, I simply cannot conceive of a "realistic" financial incentive -- in other words, one that isn't so financially punitive as to be an economic non-starter for Microsoft -- for either Sony or Nintendo to be even remotely interested.

Microsoft keeps breaking "realistic" norms though.  Putting everything day and date on PC, putting everything day and date on their subscription, bringing more properties to Switch, etc.

It's not the biggest stretch that they would try to port more games to PS5 eventually.  Devaluing console "exclusivity" in pursuit of other goals is a trade-off they're apparently willing to make.

50 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Microsoft keeps breaking "realistic" norms though.  Putting everything day and date on PC, putting everything day and date on their subscription, bringing more properties to Switch, etc.

It's not the biggest stretch that they would try to port more games to PS5 eventually.  Devaluing console "exclusivity" in pursuit of other goals is a trade-off they're apparently willing to make.

Microsoft definitely could make a valid attempt to do so, but there are almost certainly "numbers" that could be demanded by Sony/Nintendo that would make Phil & Co. balk.  I simply cannot imagine that no such metric exists internally at Redmond.

• True 1

I would think an incentive where Microsoft guarantees all 1st party games release same date with parity on your platform if you allow Game Pass to be a service would be enough to move the needle.  If I could get Game Pass on PS5, I would gladly ditch my XSX. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Microsoft definitely could make a valid attempt to do so, but there are almost certainly "numbers" that could be demanded by Sony/Nintendo that would make Phil & Co. balk.  I simply cannot imagine that no such metric exists internally at Redmond.

There is always a price for everything, I just don't think there is a deal to be made here.

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Allowing more Microsoft 1st party games to be published on other platforms would take nothing, and could happen regardless of any Games Pass deal if it fits this new vision.

Allowing Games Pass is the bigger question.  I don’t think it happens as the full service.  At least not without some threat attached.  Of which, day one CoD on Games Pass alone is  significant in Sony’s case, as Jim complained about.

Perhaps Core + CoD is what gets Sony to listen. 

21 minutes ago, Brian said:

I would think an incentive where Microsoft guarantees all 1st party games release same date with parity on your platform if you allow Game Pass to be a service would be enough to move the needle.  If I could get Game Pass on PS5, I would gladly ditch my XSX. 

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Allowing more Microsoft 1st party games to be published on other platforms would take nothing, and could happen regardless of any Games Pass deal if it fits this new vision.

Allowing Games Pass is the bigger question.  I don’t think it happens as the full service.  At least not without some threat attached.  Of which, day one CoD on Games Pass alone is already significant in Sony’s case, as Jim complained about.

Perhaps Core + CoD is what gets Sony to listen. 

I do agree that Game Pass is the main sticking point in my argument rather than the publication of actual 1st party titles.

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, Brian said:

I don’t think either Nintendo or Sony are so desperate for Microsoft’s games to take such a deal on its own terms.  Especially since Microsoft has no intention to stop porting CoD.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Did I say this was MS’s end game? Why they definitely totally didn’t want to make COD exclusive, because the goal was to get GamePass w/ COD on PlayStation. I mean of course they want to and there will be a time when the biggest games will be locked to their digital service. 

There isn’t a risk of it happening any time soon, not without the industry's focus on DLC and micro-transactions changing.  I don't know how their PR could navigate it either.  They've been all about giving players more options, not less.

Subscription exclusive titles you can't buy would be one of the worst developments in this industry I can imagine.  I hate the idea of being forced to pay monthly to play a particular long-ass game, and the design decisions that stem from that.  It's why I've never played an MMO.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Post-acquisitions, Microsoft makes make renewed push to put 1st party games and Games Pass on rival consoles EDIT: Phil Denies Games Pass
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

In our exclusive interview with Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer, we got a glimpse of the future of Xbox, and Microsoft's evolving strategy going forward.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Post-acquisitions, Microsoft makes make renewed push to put 1st party games and Games Pass on rival consoles. UPDATE: Phil denies Games Pass
4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

In our exclusive interview with Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer, we got a glimpse of the future of Xbox, and Microsoft's evolving strategy going forward.

"We have no plans" doesn't necessarily mean "it will absolutely never happen".

All it means is that "should the opportunity arise, those plans will quickly develop".

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

"We have no plans" doesn't necessarily mean "it will absolutely never happen".

All it means is that "should the opportunity arise, those plans will quickly develop".

What's more interesting to me is he avoided the part about them porting more games.  He only singles out Games Pass.

He also mentions that keeping their invested console owners feeling respected is something important to them.  An odd angle from someone still charging less for PC Games Pass. :p  But regardless, if there are plans to port more games, this could be an attempt to get out in front of it.

On a related note, it's such a Microsoft thing to say that the hardware experience and services are what keeps gamers there.  It should be the games, first and foremost (and this gen should be a referendum on that).  But that might not jive with their broader strategy.  We already see it with them putting most of their games on Steam again.  How much more of a stretch is PS5 and Switch (2) really?

• Halal 1