Apple will finally support RCS in 2024

TwinIon

9TO5MAC.COM

In a surprising move, Apple has announced today that it will adopt the RCS (Rich Communication Services) messaging standard. The...

Later next year, we will be adding support for RCS Universal Profile, the standard as currently published by the GSM Association. We believe RCS Universal Profile will offer a better interoperability experience when compared to SMS or MMS. This will work alongside iMessage, which will continue to be the best and most secure messaging experience for Apple users.

Another win for the EU forcing Apple to do the customer friendly thing. We'll see what the actual implementation looks like, but I'm very happy to see this happen.

My wife and I are the only "green bubbles" in our families and it can be rather annoying. I've tried to get them to use Signal, or at least WhatsApp, but have had no success. I don't care about read receipts, typing indicators, or location sharing, but high quality media will be a godsend. As our siblings have had kids we get a lot more media in messages, and video in particular is terrible over MMS.

It had gotten to the point that I just decided to setup an AirMessage server, which I'll probably still do, but I'll look forward to it being made obsolete.

• Hype 1

This is the best news ever.

Even as someone who is basically 100% inside of Apple's ecosystem, this has always been super frustrating. Like 50% of the people I interact with have Android phones and it will be nice to not have every single group text be completely borked up... it will be nice to not have cute videos of my niece look like they are digital video from 1997. It will be nice to be able to text my cousin hockey clips from my son and not have them be postage stamp size...

It will just be great. I've always hated Apple's stubbornness here, because as an Apple user, it greatly affects us to. It just made it worse for everyone.

52 minutes ago, stepee said:

Super dumb question - is this why I can’t txt my Mom (pretty much the only android user I know) on the plane via wifi? Will I be able to when they do this?

Wait does Apple not have SMS over wifi? Texting definitely works on airplane mode with wifi on Android. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Wait does Apple not have SMS over wifi? Texting definitely works on airplane mode with wifi on Android. 

Im thinking it doesn’t? Idk if it’s me or my Mom. She is the only person I can txt on a plane but also the only person I know on Android so it’s hard to tell.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

You definitely can send SMS over WiFi. Maybe you need to enable WiFi calling or it’s a carrier setting or something? I dunno. But I know I can and have done it.

Could it be something in the receiver end? I’m pretty sure I have wifi calling enabled.