Rise Of The Ronin (PS5) - update (03/26): "A Good Game Marred By Technical Challenges" (Digital Foundry technical analysis)

skillzdadirecta

Pretty mixed preview impressions around the internet. Not seeing anyone outright say it’s bad. some feeling the limited amount they’ve been able to play and have been shown by Team Ninja isnt enough to make a decision yet, but some do say the game so far doesnt feel as good as the contemporaries making this style of game or in the same time period. Then there are people that are just glowing about it. I get the feeling this is going to be in the 7-8/10 range. 

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Pretty mixed preview impressions around the internet. Not seeing anyone outright say it’s bad. some feeling the limited amount they’ve been able to play and have been shown by Team Ninja isnt enough to make a decision yet, but some do say the game so far doesnt feel as good as the contemporaries making this style of game or in the same time period. Then there are people that are just glowing about it. I get the feeling this is going to be in the 7-8/10 range. 

I think a lot will depend on how one felt about their previous three games Nioh, Nioh 2 and Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. They are all similar in many ways and while this adds new layers, I'm sure it will have a similar feel in many ways as well. I like those games so while it will probably take me awhile to get to this, I'm definitely interested, but divisive does make sense given the kinds of games Team Ninja makes.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think a lot will depend on how one felt about their previous three games Nioh, Nioh 2 and Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. They are all similar in many ways and while this adds new layers, I'm sure it will have a similar feel in many ways as well. I like those games so while it will probably take me awhile to get to this, I'm definitely interested, but divisive does make sense given the kinds of games Team Ninja makes.

Ive seen some say what they played felt more watered down than those games. As if the point of Rise of the Ronin is to appeal to a wider audience than their games normally do. Seemingly all who felt that way wondering if mid to late game will have that Team Ninja depth in its combat and encounters. 

it also sounded like from early impressions that parrying is very important. So if that’s true then that alone could hurt this game with people that normally dont like souls-like games. And if it feels more shallow than popular Team Ninja titles it could feel unremarkable to their existing fans.

I hope it’s just a case of the early game and what Team Ninja were willing to show was just the earliest parts of the game meant to ease in players. We shall see when review copies go out and the embargo lifts.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Ive seen some say what they played felt more watered down than those games. As if the point of Rise of the Ronin is to appeal to a wider audience than their games normally do. Seemingly all who felt that way wondering if mid to late game will have that Team Ninja depth in its combat and encounters. 

it also sounded like from early impressions that parrying is very important. So if that’s true then that alone could hurt this game with people that normally dont like souls-like games. And if it feels more shallow than popular Team Ninja titles it could feel unremarkable to their existing fans.

I hope it’s just a case of the early game and what Team Ninja were willing to show was just the earliest parts of the game meant to ease in players. We shall see when review copies go out and the embargo lifts.  

That makes a lot of sense, I hope that's not the case but definitely could be. Team Ninja games do take awhile to open up (at least in that they get a lot deeper with time), be interesting to see aggregate final reviews and word of mouth.

25 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It doesnt help that every preview can only show the same B-roll provided by Team Ninja. 

I don't know... I watched two previews today and both sounded positive with caveats. What I've heard about the game appeals to me so much that I'm thinking about reversing my stance and getting THIS first this week and saving Dragon's Dogma 2 for later. I have a current replay in the original DD going right now and I never played Dark Arisen... may want to play that first before diving into DD2. This game seems right up my alley... Ghost of Tsushima with even BETTER combat and Witcher style RPG choices.

This guy is enjoying it as well...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

My role on this is if it scores 85 or higher at opencritic I'm buying it. 

You should know that every preview I've seen says it's tough... like most of Team Ninjas games. Honestly the one thing keeping me from definitely getting it is I think it may be over shadowed by DD2 and drop in price pretty quickly. Might be worth waiting because of that.

52 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You should know that every preview I've seen says it's tough... like most of Team Ninjas games. Honestly the one thing keeping me from definitely getting it is I think it may be over shadowed by DD2 and drop in price pretty quickly. Might be worth waiting because of that.

Hmm. That's discouraging. I'll have to wait for reviews and impressions I guess. 

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I think Team Ninja usually includes difficulty options though. Not sure if they will for this one.

They didn't for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty though if I remember correctly. That was extremely difficult. 

57 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah don’t they make Nioh, Wo Long, Ninja Gaiden games? I’ve bought them all in the past and they are extremely difficult and I quit them. Hard pass for me. I’ll play Princess Peach instead. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

They didn't for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty though if I remember correctly. That was extremely difficult. 

Correct. There was one difficulty level for Wo Long called Bend Over and Take it Bitch Boi. Gotta say it wasn’t very fun. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Biggie said:

Correct. There was one difficulty level for Wo Long called Bend Over and Take it Bitch Boi. Gotta say it wasn’t very fun. 

That game I remember you really trying to advance. But Jesus Christ the bosses were brutal. 

Unlike every other Team Ninja game, there will be three difficulty levels for this one.

Dawn difficulty (easy): Dawn difficulty is Rise of the Ronin’s easy mode. You should pick this setting if you want to just enjoy the story. Picking this difficulty will unlock additional settings, including the option to increase Health recovery from Medicine, and reduce Ki loss from attacks.

Dusk difficulty (normal): Dusk difficulty is Rise of the Ronin’s answer to normal mode. It’s unclear whether players will receive increased Health and Ki recovery, but we imagine this will offer the most balanced experience. As a result, Dusk difficulty will likely be a good option for those who want their skill to be tested, but without having to play perfectly. 

Twilight (hard): Twilight is not for the faint of heart and will really test players’ skills. This mode will likely be for those who are experienced with Soulslikes and enjoy the added challenge. While the devs have yet to reveal anything about Twilight mode, we imagine enemies will hit harder and health recovery will be minimal. 

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That game I remember you really trying to advance. But Jesus Christ the bosses were brutal. 

And I did advance…..for a while but just like every game in this genre it became too difficult and I quit because I don’t have the patience or determination to attempt boss battles 100 fucking times. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You don’t need this. Buy Unicorn Overlord instead. 

I will only buy this if it is approachable on easy and it scores 85 and higher at metacritic. Yes, I'm a reviews whore. Skillz hates that shit lol. 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I remember Ninja Gaiden having Ninja Dog difficulty.

Yeah but you had to buy a new version of the game to play that difficulty, otherwise it was normal and hard I think. Then they brought very hard which I thought was easier than the normal game. :p