Gary Dauberman Set to Write and Produce Live Action Gargoyles Show for Disney+

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

By making it live action, they already have.

40 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It’s either going to be awful Gargoyle cosplay or use way too much CG. Either way they’re going to film 100% of this show in the Volume. I can’t see how this will be good. 

These are my concerns as well. Additionally, no Greg Weisman involvement either it sounds like. Also, getting Gary Dauberman to showrun this, the guy who . . . *checks notes* . . . wrote tripe like Annabelle, Annabelle: Creation, Annabelle Come Homes, and The Nun, is a really bad sign. And before someone mentions it, I know he's the third credited screenwriter on It: Chapter One but it's pretty well known that director Andy Muschietti and the studio went with the Chase Palmer & Cary Joji Fukunaga script when Fukunaga was going to direct it. And while I remember Annabelle: Creation being solid, I credit that a lot more to director David F. Sandberg. And yes, It: Chapter Two is all Gary Dauberman (compared to Chapter One) but when you have a good director (Andy Muschietti) and strong source material (Stephen King) it's kind of hard to fuck up and even with that being said everyone feels Chapter Two was a step down from Chapter One (kids vs. adults being one thing, losing better scriptwriters being the other). 

That is not a resume that inspires confidence. Hopefully the rest of the writers' room they hire are better. A lot will also depend on the directors they get.

• Halal 1

Why they didn’t ask Jordan Peele and see if he still wanted get involved. The man tried to make a movie for years and they went with this guy?!? This better be Avatar quality motion capture shit, or why even bother making the show. I have hopes because I loved this shit as a kid and still do today.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This show is already on Disney+ so how much money on a wider scale is it going to make anyway?

It needs to make money in the eyes of the people that matter, and who knows what metrics they use but I doubt audiences are showing up for stop motion Gargoyles live-action. Willow got so annihilated for not doing well enough it's not even on their platform anymore, I assume because it makes them more money as a tax write off or to sell streaming rights to someone else than keep it. I think you know doing stop motion would automatically kill any possibility of a season 2 unless it's done incredibly well. So while it would be kill, it absolutely would hurt subscriptions, streaming sales, whatever.

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It needs to make money in the eyes of the people that matter, and who knows what metrics they use but I doubt audiences are showing up for stop motion Gargoyles live-action. Willow got so annihilated for not doing well enough it's not even on their platform anymore, I assume because it makes them more money as a tax write off or to sell streaming rights to someone else than keep it. I think you know doing stop motion would automatically kill any possibility of a season 2 unless it's done incredibly well. So while it would be kill, it absolutely would hurt subscriptions, streaming sales, whatever.

All I'm saying is whether it is live action, animated, or stop motion, Gargoyles only has so much appeal. If this show gets made I don't think people are going to flock to it like a Star Wars show or anything like that. Sure if the show takes off then whatever format they used was the correct choice but if it bombs it still would be cool to think of what a stop motion TV show would look like. :p

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

All I'm saying is whether it is live action, animated, or stop motion, Gargoyles only has so much appeal. If this show gets made I don't think people are going to flock to it like a Star Wars show or anything like that. Sure if the show takes off then whatever format they used was the correct choice but if it bombs it still would be cool to think of what a stop motion TV show would look like. :p

Yeah, no one is saying it's on Star Wars' level or anything, just that Disney+ producers aren't going to approve a stop-motion or puppet Gargoyles, as cool as that would be, and yes I imagine it hurts their projections even if the variance isn't as significant as with bigger Disney properties. 

• True 1

9 hours ago, silentbob said:

Why they didn’t ask Jordan Peele and see if he still wanted get involved. The man tried to make a movie for years and they went with this guy?!? This better be Avatar quality motion capture shit, or why even bother making the show. I have hopes because I loved this shit as a kid and still do today.

Shit I forgot he was interested in making this. Now I'm disappointed they didn't go with him.