Anybody else noticed that we're getting a few Football games this year?

Remarkableriots

Besides just Madden I noticed on the PSN store. Also coming to PC, Series S/X and Switch I think for most of them.

Wild Card Football 10/9/23 

Legend Bowl 8/9/23

Axis Football 2024 (PC but console later on)

Couple from early this year

Axis Football 2023

NFL Pro Era ( Meta Quest 2 and PSVR)

They also had Football Manager 2023 which I thought was only on PC.

Wild Card Football looks like a Blitz clone, so I’ll watch out for impressions on that one. I did play a whole bunch of NBA Playground on switch, which this is the same developer as. It was a decent NBA Jam clone but a bit simple and I didn’t like the whole trading card collecting of players, very gatcha. I got NBA Playground 2 but thought it seemed a bit worse than the original, at least on switch.

I fucking HATE the SD style they use and I don’t know anyone who likes it but if it’s as fun as Blitz I’ll give it a shot. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

Legend Bowl looks cool also, there is a demo and the steam page says “unlimited exhibition matches on the demo” so I’ll check it. But it has no real players or teams at all right?

I think you're right about no real teams or players. Practice so far has been a little funny with the dialogue.

29 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I know that life has moved (significantly) on but as a person that understands, but doesn’t follow, [American] football, when I get the urge, I still plug in my PS2 and play Madden 04.

Other than the rules being out of date it's probably the best way to learn the rules of [American] football. Watching along on TV I could see there being more confusion.

Basically it's like Aussie Rules football which is the cousin of Rugby, except they stop after every play instead of continually running, so you probably get the gist of it more than others.

29 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Other than the rules being out of date it's probably the best way to learn the rules of [American] football. Watching along on TV I could see there being more confusion.

Basically it's like Aussie Rules football which is the cousin of Rugby, except they stop after every play instead of continually running, so you probably get the gist of it more than others.

I understand American football. 

4 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I know that life has moved (significantly) on but as a person that understands, but doesn’t follow, [American] football, when I get the urge, I still plug in my PS2 and play Madden 04.

I still play the last 2K football game. It still plays great, I can play it in 4K, and you can get updated rosters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Have you played it?

tl;dr: No

Funny story, when I saw it long ago I figured it was a one off thing so I added it to my wishlist to get down the line when it became cheaper (as is the Steam tradition).

So when I looked later they had another version out and they brought one out every year since. Obviously this foiled my plan to get it cheap because why would I want an outdated version? So no I haven't bought it though I am curious. :p

This year's version is only $19.99 so I suppose there really isn't anything to wait for.

Seems very customizable if you really want to put pro teams in it

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Here's a video of it, seems okayish. :p

@Keyser_Soze

The guy who makes it is very open with his development on social. So I'd like to wait and see how the new version turns out and give it a shot if it's decent. Honestly I've had a football video game bug recently so I have even considered Madden this year, but that game is impossible to decipher anymore. Every year a portion of people say it's total shit but go on to place hundreds of hours. There's always reviewers who are like "it's not perfect but it's the best one in years" and then a few weeks later people are like "no it's shit." 

I guess I could just watch people play it. Then again 70 bucks for a football game? meh. 

I am really hoping their college game turns out well. 

42 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Honestly I've had a football video game bug recently so I have even considered Madden this year, but that game is impossible to decipher anymore. Every year a portion of people say it's total shit but go on to place hundreds of hours. There's always reviewers who are like "it's not perfect but it's the best one in years" and then a few weeks later people are like "no it's shit." 

I guess I could just watch people play it. Then again 70 bucks for a football game? meh.

Well, I've got a great solution for you. GAME PASS!

I know you are very anti-game pass but it includes EA Access and when the old Madden games get vaulted, you can play them included with game pass. So if I ever DO get that itch I'll just download the old one. Sure it's not the newest one but it can still scratch that itch, and TBH if you're doing Franchise or something having an up to date roster isn't that big of a deal.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well, I've got a great solution for you. GAME PASS!

I know you are very anti-game pass but it includes EA Access and when the old Madden games get vaulted, you can play them included with game pass. So if I ever DO get that itch I'll just download the old one. Sure it's not the newest one but it can still scratch that itch, and TBH if you're doing Franchise or something having an up to date roster isn't that big of a deal.

I’m only anti game pass in that I think of my dumb ass library of games I haven’t played or finished as a barrier to adding a hundred new games to it for a monthly fee. I assume the game isn’t up for free if you subscribe to EA access? Like they make you buy the game and EA access was just like early access to it? Not sure how that works. But I’d be more likely to subscribe to that for a couple months and get my fill if it were on there. 

14 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I assume the game isn’t up for free if you subscribe to EA access? Like they make you buy the game and EA access was just like early access to it? Not sure how that works. But I’d be more likely to subscribe to that for a couple months and get my fill if it were on there. 

Like I said the old games (as in not this year's Madden but last year's madden) is included. You can download it at no extra cost. It's just the cost of game pass, EA Access is included at no extra cost. If you want this year's game I think you get a discount with EA access but you have to pay to play it.

10 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Oh yeah I got confused with the adding a service with a service thing. Yeah we’ll see how hungry I get. I booted up PCSX and might just get some updated 2K rosters. Had that going last year and my hard drive crapped out on me. 

Hmm I did a similar thing a couple months ago except fired up NCAA 06. I also wanted to try the Dreamcast NCAA game and... it kinda sucked. :p

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Desmond Howard on 06 and Drew Brees on "Road to the Rose Bowl"

Oh ok. One of the multiplatform 2K games had Crouch and I think it was shit - just using the pro engine and it didn't play like the college game. Been a long time since I thought about that though. 

The Desmond Howard NCCA game was one of the best. I still have a copy. 

• Hugs 1

@Biggie more impressions of Madden please. 

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

How many of these are non-simulation? I liked Tecmo Bowl back in the day, and early Maddens that were simpler, and Blitz. Simulation sports is like the most boring fucking concept in the universe to me. Got any sweet arcade footballs in the list?

Did you play NFL 2K5 back on Dreamcast? That still is probably the best NFL game ever made. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Did you play NFL 2K5 back on Dreamcast? That still is probably the best NFL game ever made. 

I still have a copy for the Xbox since TO was on the cover. I cracked top 50 in that game but it was hard to stay up there even with two people playing on the same account. We rarely fell below top 100 

2 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

I still have a copy for the Xbox since TO was on the cover. I cracked top 50 in that game but it was hard to stay up there even with two people playing on the same account. We rarely fell below top 100 

You mean online ranking? That game was dope and TO was a monster. 

28 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

How many of these are non-simulation? I liked Tecmo Bowl back in the day, and early Maddens that were simpler, and Blitz. Simulation sports is like the most boring fucking concept in the universe to me. Got any sweet arcade footballs in the list?

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Wild Card Football looks like a Blitz clone, so I’ll watch out for impressions on that one. I did play a whole bunch of NBA Playground on switch, which this is the same developer as. It was a decent NBA Jam clone but a bit simple and I didn’t like the whole trading card collecting of players, very gatcha. I got NBA Playground 2 but thought it seemed a bit worse than the original, at least on switch.

I fucking HATE the SD style they use and I don’t know anyone who likes it but if it’s as fun as Blitz I’ll give it a shot. 

This is a NFL Blitz (arcade) clone - Legend Bowl is a Tecmo Bowl clone

32 minutes ago, best3444 said:

28 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I definitely played some of the NFL 2K games, not sure if I had a DC long enough to play 5 though!

2K5 was not in the dreamcast. Just PS2 and Xbox. 

The 2K games were some of the few games that utilized the PS2 hard drive in interesting ways. Man I loved that game. 

It was just the right mix of arcade and sim for me. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

2K5 was not in the dreamcast. Just PS2 and Xbox. 

The 2K games were some of the few games that utilized the PS2 hard drive in interesting ways. Man I loved that game. 

It was just the right mix of arcade and sim for me. 

I thought for sure it was on Dreamcast first. I guess I'm thinking of 2K4 then. Regardless, they both were phenomenal. Even Madden 04 was great then but after they bought their way to owning the rights to be the only game in town, they got lazy and released roster updates year after year with no improvements. According to Biggie though, Madden 24 is pretty solid. 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Or used the Xbox HD better. You could use custom soundtracks for different situations during the game. I had a lot of Fantomas playing :p

I never had an OG Xbox, but a buddy and I were just talking the other day about how crazy ahead of it’s time it was in terms of just system level features. And frankly had features that are better than what we have today in some cases, like how you could not just play music over the game but actually incorporate it into the game so it worked so much slicker. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I thought for sure it was on Dreamcast first. I guess I'm thinking of 2K4 then. Regardless, they both were phenomenal. Even Madden 04 was great then but after they bought their way to owning the rights to be the only game in town, they got lazy and released roster updates year after year with no improvements. According to Biggie though, Madden 24 is pretty solid. 

Nope you’re not thinking of 4 either haha. 2K2 was the last game on the DC. That thing died an immediate death dude haha. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I never had an OG Xbox, but a buddy and I were just talking the other day about how crazy ahead of it’s time it was in terms of just system level features. And frankly had features that are better than what we have today in some cases, like how you could not just play music over the game but actually incorporate it into the game so it worked so much slicker.

Yup, something that really bothered me with the 360 is because they made the hard drive optional cool hard drive features were left out. Some games had custom soundtracks but it just like playing music over the game, not incorporating it into the soundtrack like a radio station for GTA or the custom NFL 2K5 stuff.

I had an OG Xbox because my PS2 died and I was upset and also wanted to play KOTOR so I got an Xbox. Good times.