Darth Zaslav "strongly considering" delaying release of Dune: Part 2, Aquaman 2, and The Color Purple to 2024 amid the twin strikes

Dune-2-Color-Purple-Aquaman-2.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

Warner Bros. is strongly considering pushing the "Dune 2" release date to 2024, sources tell Variety.

The sequel to Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic “Dune” may be riding a sandworm all the way to 2024.

Amid two contentious Hollywood labor strikes, Warner Bros. Film Group is strongly considering pushing the Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya tentpole to next year from its current Nov. 3 slot, three individuals with knowledge of discussions told Variety. The film is a co-production with Legendary Entertainment and both parties must agree on a new release date, said one insider. Legendary has yet to be approached by WB about a move, they added. Another source familiar with Warner Bros. said that releases are moving forward as originally planned and no formal discussions have been had, but noted that the duration of the union battles are completely unpredictable.

Spokespeople for Warner Bros. and Legendary Entertainment declined to comment on the matter.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Darth Zaslav "strongly considering" delaying release of Dune: Part 2, Aquaman 2, and The Color Purple to 2024 amid the twin strikes

I suppose that's not surprising. Dune part 1 didn't exactly set the world on fire, and a big part of its broader appeal has got to be its all star cast. The film is far from a guaranteed success, and if if you can't use them in the marketing run up it's probably at a real risk of bombing.

Still, it makes me wonder how much the studios will end up losing over this strike. Between production delays and now schedule shuffling during such a busy time of year, it increasingly seems like studios are going to spend much more fighting this strike than they would just giving in.

• Halal 1

TIRE_TOWN_STILLS_PULL_230607_002_RC-H-20
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The R-rated feature from director Luca Guadagnino is departing 2023 as the strike prevents stars from promoting films.

This one makes a ton of sense to me. A much smaller movie than something like Dune, it would really need Zendaya doing the rounds to get any attention. 

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I suppose that's not surprising. Dune part 1 didn't exactly set the world on fire, and a big part of its broader appeal has got to be its all star cast. The film is far from a guaranteed success, and if if you can't use them in the marketing run up it's probably at a real risk of bombing.

Still, it makes me wonder how much the studios will end up losing over this strike. Between production delays and now schedule shuffling during such a busy time of year, it increasingly seems like studios are going to spend much more fighting this strike than they would just giving in.

This Is Fine GIF

Studios 

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:
TIRE_TOWN_STILLS_PULL_230607_002_RC-H-20
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The R-rated feature from director Luca Guadagnino is departing 2023 as the strike prevents stars from promoting films.

This one makes a ton of sense to me. A much smaller movie than something like Dune, it would really need Zendaya doing the rounds to get any attention. 

lol, my first thought with that screencap and seeing R-rated is "uh does Zendaya's character get gangbanged in this movie" and lo and behold...

image.png