Inflation cools in June, down to 3% from 9.1% last June

Inflation, as measured by the CPI, has now eased for 12 consecutive months and is at its lowest rate since March 2021.

The June annual rate is down from 4% in May and landed slightly below economists’ expectations for a 3.1% increase, according to Refinitiv.

On a monthly basis, prices increased by 0.2%, a cooler reading than the 0.4% increase seen in May, according to the report.

Gas prices picked up 1% from May but are down nearly 27% from a year ago. Food prices and grocery store prices are up 5.7% and 4.7%, respectively, for the 12 months ended in June. However, eating out remains costlier: Food away from home inflation is up 7.7% year over year, according to the report.

“That’s Bidenomics in action,” President Joe Biden said Wednesday. “Today’s report brings new and encouraging evidence that inflation is falling while our economy remains strong.”

The bigger news: wages are outpacing inflation now. And I may be due for a raise with new ownership. *crosses fingers*

• Hype 2

19 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

But I heard Biden is destroying the economy.

I heard a friend of a friend of mine brag the other day about how he’d nearly doubled his income by job hopping since 2020, and had recruiters eating out of his hand; then he offhandedly claimed Biden was destroying the economy.  Politics, amirite?

To be fair my more liberal colleagues got into the habit of trying to claim unemployment wasn’t low during the pre-pandemic Trump years, when it clearly was.

I think the idea that most people vote with their pocketbook is pretty much dead.  Now most people think their pocketbook is either half-empty or half-full depending on whether the person they voted for is in office.

• True 1