Microsoft is no longer making new games for the Xbox One

crispy4000

Just now, Remarkableriots said:

Hopefully soon they stop making new games for Series S! :cool:

Xbox-Series-S.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Xbox isn't ditching the Series S anytime soon.

The Xbox Series S might be a great deal for gamers, but not so much for developers. This cheaper hardware doesn't just keep its price down by omitting a disc drive, but also by compromising the performance, giving devs less to work with.

But despite these headaches, Xbox has no plans to ditch its budget console. Speaking after the Xbox Games Showcase, Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty makes it clear that the company won't allow devs to skip the Series S and launch exclusively on the Series X. Instead, he says these issues can be avoided if the developers "plan better", suggesting that the performance of games on the console will improve with experience.

"Is it more work? Sure," says Booty, speaking with Axios about the troubles devs have faced when developing for the Series S alongside Series X, PS5, and PC. He goes on to say that devs should find it easier once they've moved onto their second game for the platform, since they can "plan better, knowing where some of the sharp corners are."

• Haha 1

"Is it more work? Sure," says Booty, speaking with Axios about the troubles devs have faced when developing for the Series S alongside Series X, PS5, and PC. He goes on to say that devs should find it easier once they've moved onto their second game for the platform, since they can "plan better, knowing where some of the sharp corners are."

Strange quote.  Developers were making cross-gen games before this, and were never limited by Series S.  So it's quite easy to see ambitions surpassing it as the gen continues, and Series S ports getting worse over time.

Few devs will plan around the little box that couldn't.  Unless they're targeting a (new) Nintendo handheld or the Deck.

“Let’s just say things aren’t going very well. Will they get any better? It’s possible, but I wouldn’t say it’s a certainty. I look at Nintendo and I look at Sony and I see they have all these great games coming out. Fantastic games. And we just love to be part of that conversation. At Xbox we like to ask ourselves, are gamers happy? And right now if I look at the industry as a whole, I think we are happy with how that looks.” - Matt Booty at the next investor call, probably.

• Haha 1