Beat it - Bacon's Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins thread.

Bacon

I wonder how this sold? I want to play all the original Final Fantasy games as ridiculous action games. What I love here is how much the tone and art design feels like a 80s/90s game, just zero interest at all in grounding any of it in reality or cohesion or it making sense. Just pure strange fantasy. I really like that.

One thing I’d like to see if they did another one is an obvious thing but just one town hub would add a lot to it for me. It doesn’t have to be a huge sprawling city and I don’t need a lot of them, just just one hub town would be nice to kinda hook it all together. 

Actually, I don’t even know how they are getting around lol. I just hit a place on the map and I’m there, and some weird confusing thing happens at the start of each level.

Oh and the color palette here is just phenomenal. I’ll be honest I kinda thought this was a bit of a joke game, the story is obviously done in ridiculous way as everyone has seen, but the game itself is definitely not some throw away thing. It’s quite solid and fun and scalable with difficulty so you can get an easy dumb action game if you want.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stepee said:

Man Jack is smooth with the ladies, I like his creepily rub their hand and don’t say anything   greeting

When you're a handsome guy, it ain't creepy :p

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I wonder how this sold? I want to play all the original Final Fantasy games as ridiculous action games.

It sold very poorly. Pretty sure it hasn't even sold 500k. And if the 7 remake was made with this level of ridiculousness, I'd be interested.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

One thing I’d like to see if they did another one is an obvious thing but just one town hub would add a lot to it for me. It doesn’t have to be a huge sprawling city and I don’t need a lot of them, just just one hub town would be nice to kinda hook it all together. 

Yeah, it would be cool if Cornelia was a hub city. In case you missed it, you can talk to NPCs in Cornelia at the very least. Tho it's not all that interesting.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Actually, I don’t even know how they are getting around lol. I just hit a place on the map and I’m there, and some weird confusing thing happens at the start of each level.

Just walking or being teleported. That's it.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I’ll be honest I kinda thought this was a bit of a joke game, the story is obviously done in ridiculous way as everyone has seen, but the game itself is definitely not some throw away thing. It’s quite solid and fun and scalable with difficulty so you can get an easy dumb action game if you want.

It is nuts how it never seemed like a real game until you play it. It is a very solid game with many playstyles and a long grindy endgame if that's your sort of thing. It is a massive shame how many people are judging the game by its cover so to speak. Not even excluding myself, but the "cover" I had always found interesting and it was Nomura's involvement that made me stay away. Updates and DLC also made the game better. There was no transmog system at launch so you generally had mismatched armor. People also just saw it as another Team Ninja souls-like so it was written off by some FF traditionalists and people who have played Nioh 1.

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

When you're a handsome guy, it ain't creepy :p

It sold very poorly. Pretty sure it hasn't even sold 500k. And if the 7 remake was made with this level of ridiculousness, I'd be interested.

Yeah, it would be cool if Cornelia was a hub city. In case you missed it, you can talk to NPCs in Cornelia at the very least. Tho it's not all that interesting.

Just walking or being teleported. That's it.

It is nuts how it never seemed like a real game until you play it. It is a very solid game with many playstyles and a long grindy endgame if that's your sort of thing. It is a massive shame how many people are judging the game by its cover so to speak. Not even excluding myself, but the "cover" I had always found interesting and it was Nomura's involvement that made me stay away. Updates and DLC also made the game better. There was no transmog system at launch so you generally had mismatched armor. People also just saw it as another Team Ninja souls-like so it was written off by some FF traditionalists and people who have played Nioh 1.

I feel especially with how the cheesy clips play well to the game just being meme material the game also got caught up in a pretty rough year for SE. I think the internet kind of wanted to lump this in with the likes of Babylon’s Fall in order to maximize their SE dunking

• True 1

I bought this game when it came out and never played it. It's one of the games I have that is unopened, still in the celophane, on my shelf. I keep getting distracted by other games. I think I'm gonna finally give this a shot when I'm done with FFXVI.

• Hype 2

Got my two expert level jobs now (paladin and void knight) and almost have them leveled up to 30. I think I have about three levels left so that should be good timing to be all maxed out for the end. This has been a great time, really good if you just want to slash some shit, I’ve actually done all the side missions. Can Nioh 1/2 be played this way (easy/casual mode) at all?

11 hours ago, stepee said:

Can Nioh 1/2 be played this way (easy/casual mode) at all?

I don't believe so. I recall Nioh 1 being harder, and there is only single-player, no AI companions. You also have 3 different melee stances and an active reload system with the stamina bar that makes it fill faster.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

I don't believe so. I recall Nioh 1 being harder, and there is only single-player, no AI companions. You also have 3 different melee stances and an active reload system with the stamina bar that makes it fill faster.

That’s too bad, I could go for this style whatever it is in other themes like Ninjas. I guess thats Ninja Gaiden. 

I checked steam top 100 to see if maybe the Steam release and sale price and word of mouth could make the game a comeback success or something and nowhere to be seen. 

Shame, at least I did my part by buying two copies. This game is totally going to be the best $10 someone can spend later this year or whenever it hits that which I assume is soon.

• True 1

I think most people would want to play this at least standard/casual instead of easy/casual even if you want to play it as more of a hack and slash than Dark Souls. 

Easy is a touch too easy for me. It’s actually fine now but the game seems to have a progression where it has an easier introduction section, then it gets harder, and then an end section thats harder still. Rather than it becoming easier as you get more powerful. I think I would have liked it more if the difficulty curve were reversed for me. But yeah the first bit was a little ridiculous on easy.

This last level is pretty nice looking and it reminds me of how wildly inconsistent the game is graphically. There’s some levels that look pretty decent like a nice looking ps4 game with great hdr but it gets a little 360 generation sometimes with levels that are mostly just textured walls like some of the space station ones. I think since I did all the side missions it made this more noticeable as there was a period there I was playing too many of that type in a row and forgot it can look pretty decent at times. Luckily the hdr particles everywhere and a strong art style do a lot of heavy lifting in those levels though.

28 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I feel the entire game looks like a 360 game with high contrast and color.  Didn't bother me tho.

lol well I think maybe ps4 quality was too high praise and it’s 360 quality but some levels are more ps2 quality. There just seems to be a production value difference on some levels where they are nothing but textured corridors but then some have more environmental variety within them.

Edit: It doesn’t bother me too much either, I just would want in a sequel for the whole thing to be more like the last level with some inside and outside sections within the same level, feels more like a real place - The game I think is generally pleasing to look at regardless. 

• True 1