Beat it - Bacon's Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins thread.

Bacon

Just now, Brian said:

Same. Just before I killed the dumb cactus pretty easy. I see this dumb thing and was like “ez pz” and I got fucked hard. 

Besides being super powerful he has this kind of teleport right up to you and stab you move that means I just started always keeping a close eye and keeping distance and getting ready to dodge. Little cute fucker.

Just now, stepee said:

Besides being super powerful he has this kind of teleport right up to you and stab you move that means I just started always keeping a close eye and keeping distance and getting ready to dodge. Little cute fucker.

You playing on normal?

10 minutes ago, Brian said:

You playing on normal?

I tried playing on normal for a bit but it was literally losing to him a bunch of times that made me switch back to easy so it wasn’t so bad. The game started getting harder as it went on so then I never left easy again.

I just heard someone call a game charming instead of having soul and I feel that it makes more sense.

This may not be one of the greatest games of all time on a technical level, but it is charming. It has its own kind of charm that really does it for me. ELEX is the exactly same way. It may not be good, but it is very charming and I love it. For me, I feel that 16 lacked this kind of charm where as games like FF1-4 had loads of charm.

19 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I just heard someone call a game charming instead of having soul and I feel that it makes more sense.

This may not be one of the greatest games of all time on a technical level, but it is charming. It has its own kind of charm that really does it for me. ELEX is the exactly same way. It may not be good, but it is very charming and I love it. For me, I feel that 16 lacked this kind of charm where as games like FF1-4 had loads of charm.

Definitely a lot of charm. It feels very much like a modern late 80s/90s game ,it has a VIBE.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

While the game didn't come out this year, Jack is definitely my protagonist of the year.

It’s the year that people found out because nobody bought it at launch!

Its charm to me feels like it’s a video game ass video game that knows it’s a video game and is cool with that. It has zero concern for reality or anything making sense or the locations being logical. And then out of nowhere actually pulls out a pretty interesting story that plays earnestly. I really wish it had done better and I’m not sure who to blame. 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s the year that people found out because nobody bought it at launch!

Its charm to me feels like it’s a video game ass video game that knows it’s a video game and is cool with that. It has zero concern for reality or anything making sense or the locations being logical. And then out of nowhere actually pulls out a pretty interesting story that plays earnestly. I really wish it had done better and I’m not sure who to blame. 

I blame everyone for making it seem too much like a meme, myself included. Even after people played it, it was always about the memes. It's like how people tricked Sony into thinking Morbius should be brought back into theaters and then no one went. It's similar to that in the way that the game was seen as a meme so no one bought it and SE or Ninja Theory never bothered to correct them and was bankin' on memes to sell the game(speculation) but memes don't sell entertainment.

On top of that, the game doesn't look great, and it performed poorly on anything below the 30XX series. When the average PC gamer is rockin' a 1060, that is rough. FF is also huge on Sony platforms, but it seems like loads of FF fans hate action games, and it was a spin-off of FF1, the game with the least amount of fans except for FF2.

But what is even worse...

d0f75e643eee44273793d271698832de.png

04fa0b403a3fcad0b2726504b7ec6044.png

People were still playing a massively open-world game. Elden Ring might have been the bullet, and everything else the nails in the coffin.

22739c371beab8dea47fc3e797c496b0.png

I also feel that users are just wrong. One said this is a worse version of Nioh and that is giga fuckin' wrong. Another said, "There is no story here. The main character Jack is an absolute Chad and is probably the least likeable main character of any final fantasy I've ever played," which is fuckin' wrong. Many people seem to be rating it low because of the grindy postgame and DLC, which I guess if fine, but everything before the credits is great and not grindy at all.

And you got this

80f36fe48fdf0101512135a9f1d63fc8.png

This game isn't mocking shit. It is filled to the brim with FF.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm...played for 2 hours and I'm not impressed. I might give it a break and play Uncharted Lost Legacy then come back to it. The visuals are ok and the combat was...ok.

The environment was kinda depressing and they throw a ton of information at you quickly. I think I need a break from Final Fantasy right now. I can't give a good opinion on this at my current mental state.