Plasma vs OLED in 2023

Spork3245

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

OLED all the way.

I mean, it really wasn’t a question or a debate. :p 

It’s showing how much OLED has improved over the past decade as the first sets of OLEDs from 2012/2013 would lose to Plasma outside of brightness. 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, it really wasn’t a question or a debate. :p 

It’s showing how much OLED has improved over the past decade as the first sets of OLEDs from 2012/2013 would lose to Plasma outside of brightness. 

Oh, ok. I didn't bother watching obviously so my bad. Do you own an Oled?

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

what’s your budget? Do you find yourself playing the same game for hundreds or even thousands of hours, even if you go to other games from time to time? 

I can do up to $1000ish. I usually stick with a few choice games, yes.

1 minute ago, Pikachu said:

OLED will probably be a bit high budget wise, and from a person that plays a several hundred hours of Destiny a year, they are prone to burn in. Yellows are their kryptonite, and many games love to put yellow in their HUDs. 

12 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

they are prone to burn in.

Older ones, 8 series and back (especially the b7), yes. With newer ones it can still occur but I don’t know if “prone to” is the wording I’d use for them as burn-in mitigation has improved astronomically. 

16 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

65” LG C2 is currently $1300 on woot, 55” is $940. They’re manufacturer refurbished meaning that they were fixed by LG directly with original parts and they have the same warranty as a new model which begins the day you receive it.

Alternatively: Hisense 65U8H QLED U8H Series Quantum 4K ULED Mini-LED 65-Inch Class Google Smart TV with Alexa Compatibility, Quantum Dot, 1500-nit HDR10+, Black https://a.co/d/9CubWCA or a TCL 

Came in here expecting him to say HDR (and potentially 4k vs. 1080p, and size). Was not disappointed.

My main TV is still a 2006-era Pioneer Elite Kuro -- and it still holds up well for a near 17-year old TV.  We just don't watch enough TV to justify switching it out ATM.

In a couple of years, when we refinish the basement, I will probably try and buy a big OLED.

1 hour ago, Pikachu said:

OLED is the best choice for most people.  LCD is probably better for some.

IMHO,  consider LCD if:

1)  You have a really bright room with lots of natural light.

2)  You will have the same static UI icons on the screen in the same spot for extended periods (i.e. you watch 4 hours of CNN every day, or you play a LOT of one game for 20-hours per week).  If you are like MOST people, who vary their content, this probably not a big issue.

IMHO, lower end TVs don't have the same downsides as they used to.  $1,000 is more than enough to get a great TV.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Older ones, 8 series and back (especially the b7), yes. With newer ones it can still occur but I don’t know if “prone to” is the wording I’d use for them as burn-in mitigation has improved astronomically.

Even LG admits it’s still possible with static images and high brightness. Ie video game HUDs with HDR on for hours at a time. That’s why I asked Pikachu about how they play games. A person who plays a game for 60 hours until they beat it and moves on to another game won’t have burn in problems. Somebody who religiously plays the game game that has static HUD elements for hundreds or even thousands of hours in a year still could. And it would suck to spend a grand or more on a Tv and have permanent image retention within 2 years. 

it was the biggest reason I didn’t go OLED again last June when I got a new Tv. The fact that it was still possible with my gaming habits was enough to make me opt into an LG QNED instead. 

65” LG C2 is currently $1300 on woot, 55” is $940. They’re manufacturer refurbished meaning that they were fixed by LG directly with original parts and they have the same warranty as a new model which begins the day you receive it.

Alternatively: Hisense 65U8H QLED U8H Series Quantum 4K ULED Mini-LED 65-Inch Class Google Smart TV with Alexa Compatibility, Quantum Dot, 1500-nit HDR10+, Black https://a.co/d/9CubWCA or a TCL 

Id really recommend paying the extra $300 for the C2 or getting the lower model. But yeah at least a micro-led. I want to highly advise anyone spending anything more than $500 to just wait and get oled and not get any led or qled. I got a highly reviewed Vizio led that reviews made sound close enough and I was so disappointed over time. And now that I have an oled it’s really disingenuous how much places downplay the difference.

Micro led actually is kinda closeish from some I’ve seen but man I think it’s worth getting that C2 if you can.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Id really recommend paying the extra $300 for the C2 or getting the lower model. But yeah at least a micro-led. I want to highly advise anyone spending anything more than $500 to just wait and get oled and not get any led or qled. I got a highly reviewed Vizio led that reviews made sound close enough and I was so disappointed over time. And now that I have an oled it’s really disingenuous how much places downplay the difference.

Micro led actually is kinda closeish from some I’ve seen but man I think it’s worth getting that C2 if you can.

I’ve LGs QNED, which their quantum dot nano-cell LED. It actually has better overall picture quality than the OLED B7 I had, except in blacks. But it still has good black levels, faster response rate, both chips for Freesync and Gsync, is less susceptible to glare and looked washed out in brighter light, and virtually no chance of burn in with my gaming habits.

The only thing that bothers me is some settings have to be applied multiple times for with and without HDR, so it’s a little fussier than an OLED in that way. and I wish it had more than two HDMI 2.1 ports. I have been very happy with it otherwise. 

27 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Thanks everyone! I am keeping my eye on the LG C2 for the fall.

Fuck ya! My best friends Dad just got her a C2 and she is blown away. She always downplayed how much a nice tv would matter to her and was still on an old 1080p led. She was so impressed with the quality it made her literally rethink how much she affords herself nice things in general, realizing maybe there is a tangible difference with some items.

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Even LG admits it’s still possible

I never said it wasn’t possible, I said it is still possible. I said “prone to” isn’t the phrasing I would use, the reason is that it suggests that it occurs frequently and easily. It’s much less of an issue on newer models due to better mitigation tech and cooling. It was certainly prone to on your old B7 that you mentioned, mine had burn in after just 3 years, despite my plasma never getting anything besides some temporary retention. On the CX and newer, the burn-in mitigation is night and day by comparison, though.

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

If you have a Costco membership it looks like the LG C2 is the same price as anywhere else but they extend the warranty by 3 years (for a total of 5). 

@Pikachucostco also has extended warranties that cover burn-in iirc (the only other is Best Buy) if that’s a concern.

I never said it wasn’t possible, I said it is still possible. I said “prone to” isn’t the phrasing I would use, the reason is that it suggests that it occurs frequently and easily. It’s much less of an issue on newer models due to better mitigation tech and cooling. It was certainly prone to on your old B7 that you mentioned, mine had burn in after just 3 years, despite my plasma never getting anything besides some temporary retention. On the CX and newer, the burn-in mitigation is night and day by comparison, though.

And my original statement was when playing the same game for hundreds to thousands of hours a year it is prone to burn in, and that’s what LG admits to. Normal and varied use should be fine and would have likely been fine even for mine. I played Destiny 2 so much I got burn in in less than 2 years. lol 

I still do play destiny that much, so I can’t imagine going back to OLED until I read display manufactures have eradicated all image retention and burn in, and it’s now as good as LED and LCD in that regard. 

36 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

And my original statement was when playing the same game for hundreds to thousands of hours a year it is prone to burn in,

And burn-in mitigation is still improved with game and PC modes over previous generations. Even the burn in I got on my b7 is not from gaming, it’s pause bars from my dvr and YouTube and logos from tv channels: there’s 0 HUDs burned in from gaming. It makes me wish I used game mode at all times on it.

36 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

and that’s what LG admits to.

LG does not use the phrase “prone to”.