Foamstars | 4v4 Online Party Shooter for PS4 and PS5 [Included with PS+ February 6]

Keyser_Soze

I'm much more up on this than you all.  So what if it's a Splatoon rip off.  Only the Switch has Splatoon.  And I like the idea of the spray building walkable surfaces. :)

This will look like a breath of fresh air next to most of the other multiplayer shooters we'll see announced or shown this summer.   I'd rather have SquareEnix chase Splatoon than Payday or Destiny.

• 8 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Foamstars | 4v4 Online Party Shooter for PS4 and PS5 [Included with PS+ February 6]

Anyone try it yet? My son and I give it a big thumbs down.  The tutorial is the first thing that annoys you. You want to just skip through it as fast as possible but you can’t.  “Here’s how you walk”, “This is how you shoot”, etc…  Finally got into a 4v4 match and everything just feels weightless. Maybe there is more skill to it if you put the time in. But I just don’t think it feels good to battle other players. My son played a round and said “eww uninstall that”. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

Anyone try it yet? My son and I give it a big thumbs down.  The tutorial is the first thing that annoys you. You want to just skip through it as fast as possible but you can’t.  “Here’s how you walk”, “This is how you shoot”, etc…  Finally got into a 4v4 match and everything just feels weightless. Maybe there is more skill to it if you put the time in. But I just don’t think it feels good to battle other players. My son played a round and said “eww uninstall that”. 

It looks like Splatoon without all of the charm that makes Splatoon appealing. To see it's not fun to play on top of everything is no surprise to me.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It looks like Splatoon without all of the charm that makes Splatoon appealing. To see it's not fun to play on top of everything is no surprise to me.

It’s weird. It looks so much like Splatoon that I had wanted to run around painting the floor, but I don’t think there is any benefit to doing that other than being able to increase your traversal speed so you can surf around. Then when you encounter an enemy, everyone is just kind of clustered around together since it’s only 4v4. It just felt messy and nothing really packed a punch. I’m going to try it again tonight and see if I change my mind at all. I remember Splatoon had gripped me from my first match I played. Foamstars definitely didn’t give me that first impression.

I put in about an hour into the online mode. Still not a fan.  One thing that always gets in the way is not being able to reload while surfing. It makes you feel like a sitting duck when you do have to reload and enemies are closing in on you. Nothing about it is gripping me. My son and daughter both played it and they were done within a few minutes. The powers and weapons don’t feel very accurate. Never really know if I’m hitting someone or not.