Beat it - Small rant about Final Fantasy IX.

Bacon

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean.. no? Even FFIX didn't have full development in all of their characters, and the cast is so much smaller. Freya had no development at all beyond her search for Crowley and then it was like "he lost his memory, he doesn't remember you," and she's like "okay, this is my life now" she that's it. FFVI does not have dynamic development at all. Locke, Celes, and Edgar are pretty much the only characters who grow and change in the story, even if you have like 20 characters you can play.

I remember FF6's character development a lot better than FF9, and I played 9 for the first time 2 years ago.  And it's more than just those three or four you mentioned.

For Bacon to avoid:

Spoiler

Maybe you're defining character development too rigidly.  I think Terra rediscovering who she is and her purpose (the central plot device for the first half of the game), or Cyan's encounters with his dead family and wrexsol, to be just as compelling as the others you mentioned.  Not every character gets the same amount of screen time, but it's still quite impressive to me how much they juggled.

In any case FF9's cast didn't appeal to me outside of Steiner.  Zidane in particular is immature and annoying the entire way.  Late game backstory couldn't save him for me.  And the way the game handwaves his father's abuse would have been better left on the cutting room floor.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

FF6?

Yes. I don't care how non-spoilery it actually is. I know basically nothing about FF6 and I'd like to keep it that way.

This is like the thrid time I have mentioned it.

Just now, Bacon said:

Yes. I don't care how non-spoilery it actually is. I know basically nothing about FF6 and I'd like to keep it that way.

This is like the thrid time I have mentioned it.

Its like discussing FF7 or OoT at this point.  I'll refrain and spoiler tag.  But you really should get on that. ;)

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You're fine.  Nothing you'll remember.

Yeah, I wish. Fuckin, saw one leak about FF16, don't even know if the leak was real, and any time I hear/see the word spoilers it triggers that memory. 

At the very least, I'll remember the instant I  see Cyan.

And I'm not really mad, but should have said it again earlier after @Fizzzzle's post which I managed not to read. 

I basically just don't want 5-6-8 spoiled. FF4 as well, but I basically know all the major plot points. I have played it, but I never beat it.

Here is all I know about 5-6-8

5:

MC is either Butz or Bartz

It has a job system

Some old guy dies

6:

MC? Main Chick? Goes super saiyan Pink

The one chick sings opera

Suplex a train

Cyan's thing

@Dodger is the bad guy

You go to space and the Ragnarok is a spaceship

The school is an airship, tho that is obvious because the headmaster is Cid

The game is not a dream/Squall isn't dead despite the fan theories

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

Good to know if I ever replay it again. I had to set up a macro for my mouse and even then I think it took multiple tries to get it to work properly.

There are a lot of good "hacks" you can turn on in the memoria.ini. Just make sure you notice the "Enabled= 0" portion and change that value to 1 or else they won't work. Took me forever to figure out why the cheats weren't working.

[Hacks]
Enabled= 1
AllCharactersAvailable=0
RopeJumpingIncrement=1000
FrogCatchingIncrement=1
HippaulRacingViviSpeed=66
StealingAlwaysWorks= 2

Fuck Hippaul Racing too. Not even hard but man is that not fun. The default value is like 30 I think.

Also, if you use the cheat that speeds up the game, it does not speed up the in-game time or timers. Makes the Hot and Cold mini-game actually playable. Would also let you reach the final dungeon very quickly for Steiners best weapon. Tho I am sure there is a way to just edit your time if you really wanted it.

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

There are a lot of good "hacks" you can turn on in the memoria.ini. Just make sure you notice the "Enabled= 0" portion and change that value to 1 or else they won't work. Took me forever to figure out why the cheats weren't working.

[Hacks]
Enabled= 1
AllCharactersAvailable=0
RopeJumpingIncrement=1000
FrogCatchingIncrement=1
HippaulRacingViviSpeed=66
StealingAlwaysWorks= 2

Fuck Hippaul Racing too. Not even hard but man is that not fun. The default value is like 30 I think.

Oh right, it was the Hippaul Racing that I used the macro to record alternating button presses so I could hold a button down to autofire it, for jump rope I think I just set it so that holding the button down continuously registered clicks (I played the game with controller but for jump rope it doesn't care about the timing if you use a mouse). StealingAlwaysWorks would have been useful. There was 1 boss with a time limit that I wasn't able to get the rare steal but for the rest I turned on auto-heal and sped up the game with the boosters the Steam version has and just waited until it succeeded.

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

You’re just wrong. FF6 and 4 both have more fleshed out main cast.

FF4, maybe, but FF6's cast is too big. A lot of the characters have like 2 or 3 scenes of development. Locke, Edgar, Celes, and Terra have meaningful development, the rest of them just have "backstory > 2 scenes where they're important > ~fin~"

In the case of Cyan he doesn't really change, we just find out more about his backstory. Arguably same with Edge and Sabin. In FF9, none of the characters end up in the same place they started.

And honestly, that's okay. The entire story of FFIX is literally about personal growth. It would suck if the characters didn't, y'know... grow. FF6 isn't necessarily about that. It's a much wider story.

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

FF4, maybe, but FF6's cast is too big. A lot of the characters have like 2 or 3 scenes of development. Locke, Edgar, Celes, and Terra have meaningful development, the rest of them just have "backstory > 2 scenes where they're important > ~fin~"

In the case of Cyan he doesn't really change, we just find out more about his backstory. Arguably same with Edge and Sabin. In FF9, none of the characters end up in the same place they started.

And honestly, that's okay. The entire story of FFIX is literally about personal growth. It would suck if the characters didn't, y'know... grow. FF6 isn't necessarily about that. It's a much wider story.

FF6 has major character development for Terrah, Celes, Sabin, Locke, Shadow, Cyan, Edgar, Setzer, Relm, and Strago, far far more than 9 does.

You’re literally the only person I’ve ever seen with this opinion, and I’ve played both many times and completely disagree. 

Eh 6 does have development of characters but it’s pretty rudimentary. What 9 is trying to do is a step up in complexity. Whether or not it succeeds at that? YMMV. 

But 6 is like a melodrama / cliffs notes in character development. The characters happen to be pretty lovable at the jump, which helps. 

• Halal 1

Yeah. Again, FF9 is about losing your purpose in life and how to to find it again. That's the character arc of dagger, vivi, Steiner, eiko, and even amarant and Freya even though they miss the mark with those characters.

In fact, you could say that Quina is the control group. As stupid as they are, Quina knows what they are. Quina eat frog.

"Here is my character" ~ "here is something that totally breaks my character" ~ here's how I respond" is the core part of every character in the game. It's about trauma and healing. I guess you could say FF7 is about that, too, but FF9 did it better.

FF4 was also about that and is really dope.