TEXAS Y'ALL - THE TEXAS THREADS (but don't tread on me!) 🧵

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That sounds like a feature, especially when you consider the demographics of those poor areas.

Oh yes, hostile design for poor folk and minorities (double points if they're both!) is intrinsic to the American entrepreneurial spirit!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

New Hampshire is the sleeper state. Regularly ranks as one of the safest states in the country and regularly ranks in the top five for best public schools in the nation. New Hampshire isn't as cheap as the Midwest, but it's actually still possible to find sub-$500k homes of a decent size and not in the middle of nowhere. If I just drive like half an hour north, the home prices drop by half. Also, if you like hunting, New Hampshire has you covered.

The only reason I haven't hopped across the border is because Massachusetts has some really nice social safety nets that make raising a special needs daughter a little less terrifying.

Actually sounds really nice. Might have to do a little research. 

I feel conflicted about moving because I’d hate to not see my family all that much, but I really do despise the politics of my state. 

Just wish I’d grown up somewhere better. 

A much larger issue of property taxes is the split between commercial and residential in the tax base. You can have relatively high residential valuations but not enough commercial and a school district is boned. You can have relatively low residential valuations with very high commercial valuations and be set. And all sorts of other mixes.

To give a small example, our home district is relatively wealthy, not because of home values, but because the district happens to include a bunch of major industrial plants that pay a combined 50 million a year in property taxes. The next district over where the average residential value is 40% higher generates much less in property taxes per-student because they have kept out a lot of commercial development over the decades.

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

New Hampshire is the sleeper state. Regularly ranks as one of the safest states in the country and regularly ranks in the top five for best public schools in the nation. New Hampshire isn't as cheap as the Midwest, but it's actually still possible to find sub-$500k homes of a decent size and not in the middle of nowhere. If I just drive like half an hour north, the home prices drop by half. Also, if you like hunting, New Hampshire has you covered.

The only reason I haven't hopped across the border is because Massachusetts has some really nice social safety nets that make raising a special needs daughter a little less terrifying.

I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off New Hampshire. I don't know how it hasn't happened yet with its tax rate, but I don't pay enough attention to it to go on anything other than vibes.

39 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off New Hampshire. I don't know how it hasn't happened yet with its tax rate, but I don't pay enough attention to it to go on anything other than vibes.

New Hampshire has one of the highest property tax rates in the country. On average, it's nearly twice as high as Massachusetts'. New Hampshire is also basically a Massachusetts suburb. Like 80% of folks there live within a short drive to Massachusetts and so take advantage of jobs and hospitals and a great selection of colleges and universities just a short distance away. Also doesn't hurt when everything north of Manchester is coyotes, moose, trees, and Trump voters that are too busy hunting to bother picketing drag shows.

Not like the rest of New Hampshire is very densely populated. Manchester isn't that much bigger than, like, Lowell. Nashua is their second largest city with a population similar to Lawrence's, but a whole 30sq/m compared to Lawrence's 7. The Boston Police Department is about as large as ALL police department in New Hampshire combined. They just found for themselves a very nice balance that wouldn't work if they bordered any other states.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

New Hampshire has one of the highest property tax rates in the country. On average, it's nearly twice as high as Massachusetts'.

Just an FYI, tax rates on property is a really poor way to compare property taxes in different places. It’s better to compare the property taxes paid as a percentage of income. Taxing jurisdictions do all sorts of things to increase revenue without increasing tax rates.

This year my property taxes on the house I bought for my mother in law went up by over 100% from the year before to this year even though the rate actually dropped from 2.12% to 2.08% because the appraisal district said the market value of the property more than doubled from 2021 to 2022.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Just an FYI, tax rates on property is a really poor way to compare property taxes in different places. It’s better to compare the property taxes paid as a percentage of income. Taxing jurisdictions do all sorts of things to increase revenue without increasing tax rates.

This year my property taxes on the house I bought for my mother in law went up by over 100% from the year before to this year even though the rate actually dropped from 2.12% to 2.08% because the appraisal district said the market value of the property more than doubled from 2021 to 2022.

Absolutely, it's just, generally speaking, if you look at New Hampshire's lack of a sales tax and low income tax rates and low corporate tax rates, you'll often wonder how they're pulling in enough money to pay for stuff. It would be easy to just assume they simply don't pay for things, but that's clearly not the case if you spend any significant amount of time in New Hampshire.

The answer is mostly having a population that heavily relies on Massachusetts' labor market. I believe it's something like a whole 20% of New Hampshire commutes south, across the border. So there's that and having among the highest average property taxes in the nation. It's not a bad deal, though, because New England isn't really prone to much in the way of natural disasters and property crime in New Hampshire is possibly the lowest in the nation and so home insurance rates are among the best in the country.

My province just pays for education out of general tax revenue, and each school division gets $X per student, plus some minor extra funding depending on cost of busing in the area (rural gets more, etc). But overall this results in each school in the province basically getting the same funding, making all schools equal. It's why we don't really have private schools or charter schools, outside of weird small religious ones. Teachers are also all forced to rotate schools every 3-7 years, meaning no school builds up all the star teachers forever.