Update (01/30/24): "Star Trek: Section 31" film starring Michelle Yeoh has started principal photography

d84f7edb-0d6d-4df8-ae58-cede1838ecb9.png
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Yeoh will return as Emperor Philippa Georgiou in a 'Star Trek: Discovery' spinoff.

Paramount+ has ordered Section 31 as an original movie, with Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh set to reprise her role as Emperor Philippa Georgiou, a character she played in Star Trek: Discovery.

In the film, Georgiou “joins a secret division of Starfleet tasked with protecting the United Federation of Planets and faces the sins of her past.” The project will be written by Craig Sweeny and directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi, both Discovery veterans.

For some reason I thought this was a series that had already been green-lit.

I hope Yeoh got a nice pay bump after winning an Oscar.

Even though I've very much enjoyed Disco, I still think the whole mirror universe thing was probably the weakest arc. I've also never really loved Section 31 as a Star Trek concept. Still, Yeoh is a lot of fun in the role and it's Trek, so I'll be watching.

33 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

For some reason I thought this was a series that had already been green-lit.

I hope Yeoh got a nice pay bump after winning an Oscar.

Even though I've very much enjoyed Disco, I still think the whole mirror universe thing was probably the weakest arc. I've also never really loved Section 31 as a Star Trek concept. Still, Yeoh is a lot of fun in the role and it's Trek, so I'll be watching.

Yeah, I greatly dislike Discovery, and this isn’t what I want from trek.

what I want is more of what we’re getting with Picard S3, Berman trek, except with a new cast.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Gag Throw Up GIF by Anime Crimes Division

We absolutely do not need more Section 31 stuff and it remains absolutely bizarre that Discovery gave Space Hitler a warm fuzzy sendoff with the entire crew adoring her.

calling her space Hitler is putting it lightly, she committed genocide on mass scales and fucking ATE people

I am glad it's only a movie. Get it over with.

And I say that as someone who has enjoyed all the New Trek shows to some extent, so I am not just hating on New Trek.

This thing has been in development hell for something like 4 or 5 years depending on how you do the math. I think the studio itself has lost faith in it. Anywhere from 3 to 5 shows have leap frogged it in the time that it's been kicked around and now it's just a movie? So one wonders why they are even bothering to do it other than "We got Michelle Yeoh, so lets use her".

Like I said, I don't even say this as someone just hating on New Trek....but Section 31 is one of those things that takes a very deft hand to make work......and that has not been a hallmark of most New Trek shows.

In a way Section 31 reminds me a bit creatively of Jurassic Park. The fact is that at it's heart it is a limited concept, and the more you try to use it the more you are either going to simply rehash what came before, or water down what made it work until it is unrecognizable. I think this might be inescapable even in the best of hands. The two things that make Section 31 interesting in DS9 are it's layer upon layer of subterfuge(not a great fit when you make all the POV's about Section 31 operatives) and Sloan's self awareness that he is not a lovable rogue with a heart of gold or the antihero. He knows he is the bad guy. If you put him in front of a firing squad Sloan would say you were right to do it and yet still not regret the things he did at all.

They seem obsessed with making Section 31 the poster child for the the Star Trek version of the GoT, Walking Dead, Arrow, SoA, Breaking Bad etc etc. morally gray/antihero shows that became so popular in the 2010's. On the surface it seems like a good fit. But it is a fundamental misunderstanding of who Section 31 is in the Trek universe.

• 9 months later...

Principal photography started today.

DEADLINE.COM

Production is underway and new casting set on Star Trek: Section 31, Paramount+'s upcoming original movie starring Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh.

Production is underway on Star Trek: Section 31, Paramount+’s upcoming original movie starring Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh. Rounding out the cast are Omari Hardwick (Power), Kacey Rahl (Hannibal), Emmy winner Sam Richardson (Ted Lasso), Sven Ruygrok (One Piece), Robert Kazinsky (Pacific Rim), Humberly Gonzalez (Ginny & Georgia) and James Hiroyuki Liao (Barry) .

Yeoh reprises her role as Emperor Philippa Georgiou, a character she first played in Star Trek: Discovery‘s first season, who joins a secret division of Starfleet. Tasked with protecting the United Federation of Planets, she also must face the sins of her past. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (01/30/24): "Star Trek: Section 31" film starring Michelle Yeoh has started principal photography
  • 1 month later...