Netflix will get a live action series of Avatar: The Last Airbender

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-series-netflix-1202946788/

The animated series is one of my favorite shows of all time, and I find it to be perfect in just about every way.  I've never bothered to watch the movie because I've heard terrible things about it, so I don't know how I feel about this.  The only potentially good part about this is the original creators are running the upcoming series.

I'm not sure I see the point unless Netflix really wants to have an Avatar show and due to licensing they cannot get one of the animated shows, and does not want to risk or cannot create a new Avatar series. 

Besides there are already plenty of examples on Netflix that you should not adapt a live action version of a successful and beloved animated show. It does not turn out well and is not well recieved. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I'm not sure I see the point unless Netflix really wants to have an Avatar show and due to licensing they cannot get one of the animated shows, and does not want to risk or cannot create a new Avatar series. 

Besides there are already plenty of examples on Netflix that you should not adapt a live action version of a successful and beloved animated show. It does not turn out well and is not well recieved. 

One big thing is that I wish Netflix could get the rights to the series and continue it since Nickelodeon doesn't seem to want to. I know Korra's sorry continued in comic form, so there's more story to tell. Even then, the universe, itself, is a fantastic place to tell stories. I'm completely invested in the Avatar universe.

I'm in for this adaptation only because the original creators are on board as show runners.

• 3 years later...

DiMartino and Konietzko are back at Nickelodeon with a whole studio dedicated to Avatar stuff all for themselves, but the live action series is still getting made and now we have some casting.

I don't know if this was ever posted, but we already know the main crew.

live_actionnetflix_avatar_the_last_airbe
WWW.POLYGON.COM

‘This was a chance to showcase Asian and Indigenous characters as living, breathing people’

avatar_live_action_cast_last_airbender_n

The newest casting is Daniel Dae Kim as Fire Lord Ozai.

1341340631.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Kim is returning to the Avatar universe after voicing characters in Last Airbender and Legend of Korra

I mean...is there anything Kim isn't great in? I know he's in his fifties, but I still say he'd be the best Namor you could find. That's way off topic here, though.

I initially thought DiMartino and Konietzko leaving the Netflix series was a really bad sign and maybe the production is bad, etc. Then I found out that Nickelodeon gave them basically all the money and they said "welp, I guess we'll leave you to it, Netflix, we have tens of millions of dollars to go see."

So I'm still hoping the Netflix series is good.

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I initially thought DiMartino and Konietzko leaving the Netflix series was a really bad sign and maybe the production is bad, etc. Then I found out that Nickelodeon gave them basically all the money and they said "welp, I guess we'll leave you to it, Netflix, we have tens of millions of dollars to go see."

So I'm still hoping the Netflix series is good.

It was listed as creative differences, but that Nickelodeon deal is way too good to pass up. A whole studio to themselves? Avatar Studios gets to work on TV series and movies with their current project being a movie with a possible theatrical release. It also sounds like they'll have complete creative freedom here, so no more need to do stuff like talk around Korra and Asami's relationship. I wonder if they plan to animate the comic series that covers the events after the Korra series.

• 2 weeks later...