framerait issues with RDR2?

Fizzzzle

It's almost like I can barely get the fucking game to run. I've turned down the settings to as low as I possibly can and I'm still getting like 15fps, tops. It's unplayable.

I feel like there must be some setting like in AC: Valhalla that has to be turned off, but I don't know what it is, and nothing online is helping me.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It shouldn't, but you never know.

Are you running it through Steam?

Yeah, I'm running it through Steam. My computer isn't really under stress at all, especially not the VRAM, which was only at like 17% usage

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Is it using the igpu instead of the gpu?

I don't see how it could be, but one thing that tripped me up is that the game defaulted to launching on my second monitor for some reason. I don't understand why it did that.

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't see how it could be, but one thing that tripped me up is that the game defaulted to launching on my second monitor for some reason. I don't understand why it did that.

You may want to verify that the game is using the dedicated GPU.

printlogo.png
WWW.INTEL.COM

Instructions on how to force apps or games to use dedicated graphics or integrated graphics.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You may want to verify that the game is using the dedicated GPU.

I think you might be onto something. My computer just had an update, I went to my GPU in the task manager and it seeeeeeeeeeeeems my computer is running onboard graphics for some god forsaken reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Unironically, have you turned your PC off then on again?

Ironically, I think turning my PC off and on again may have been the problem. My PC updated and I'm now reasonably sure that's what the problem was. An update happened that did not get along with my graphics driver.

I'm reinstalling graphics drivers now and we'll see if that changes anything.

• Shocked 1

.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand wrong. Game still can't run.

Not really sure what to do at this point. I spent well over an hour trying to get the fucking thing to work, and if it didn't take me like 12 hours to download the fucking thing, I'd say I'm over it. But I'll give it a wack later.

Worst comes to worse, it seems I CAN play it at 1080p on my second monitor with everything at their lowest possible settings....

..... :angry:

First off play something else you played before and make sure it runs the same to rule out anything like running off the wrong gpu.

If it’s not using either cpu or gpu much then something is very wrong - I saw this you could try from a reddit post:

“Your solution temporary worked for me but after restarting pc, game keep regenerating same file with same problems, so to avoid that i used this 2 commands in launch option steam properties "-ignoreDifferentVideoCard -ignorepipelinecache" after deleting that and restarting pc i fixed the problem. i discovered for other problem there is a bunch of commands on this website https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Red_Dead_Redemption_2. Thx man u kept me on the right track BOI <3

I didn’t see anyone else reccomend this but I would try maybe disabling full screen optimizations and dpi scaling: 

drag-and-drop-min.png
THEGEEKPAGE.COM

The default display scaling feature on Windows 10 or further is a core component of Windows OS. But sometimes this feature for some specific apps can cause

disable-fullscreen-optimization-on-windo
WINDOWSREPORT.COM

As surprising as it may sound, disabling fullscreen optimizations in Windows can sometimes improve your gaming. Here's how to turn it off.

• Hugs 1

I figured it out.

For some reason, the game cannot both run on my main monitor AND my GPU at the same time. Even if I directly tell it to, and even if I change which monitor is my primary monitor in Windows. If I tell the game to run on my 4k monitor while the other one is plugged in, it will default to using onboard graphics for my 4k monitor regardless. I have zero fucking idea what could possibly be causing the software to do that.

Basically I just have to play the game without my other monitor plugged in, I guess. Not a huge deal, just kind of annoying.

Update: Honestly, I have no idea what's going on. Even without my other monitor plugged in, I got the game running once, then all I did was exit the window which broke everything again in a different way (the window size got fucked, and that happened regardless of being full screen or borderless)

The only way I can get the game to work is by running it on my other monitor, regardless of which monitor is my "primary" monitor.

Absolutely bizarre. I've never had a game behave this way.

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I figured it out.

For some reason, the game cannot both run on my main monitor AND my GPU at the same time. Even if I directly tell it to, and even if I change which monitor is my primary monitor in Windows. If I tell the game to run on my 4k monitor while the other one is plugged in, it will default to using onboard graphics for my 4k monitor regardless. I have zero fucking idea what could possibly be causing the software to do that.

Basically I just have to play the game without my other monitor plugged in, I guess. Not a huge deal, just kind of annoying.

Update: Honestly, I have no idea what's going on. Even without my other monitor plugged in, I got the game running once, then all I did was exit the window which broke everything again in a different way (the window size got fucked, and that happened regardless of being full screen or borderless)

The only way I can get the game to work is by running it on my other monitor, regardless of which monitor is my "primary" monitor.

Absolutely bizarre. I've never had a game behave this way.

What are your specs?
Are both of your monitors plugged into your GPU and not your motherboard?

Have you tried entering your BIOS at boot and disabling the integrated graphics?

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Based on this, RDR2 high settings at 1080p gets 100fps and 80 fps at 1440p with no DLSS. I still think it’s using igpu. How are the monitors plugged in?

HDMI

43 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What are your specs?
Are both of your monitors plugged into your GPU and not your motherboard?

Have you tried entering your BIOS at boot and disabling the integrated graphics?

I use a laptop with a 3080ti with plenty of memory.

Disabling the integrated graphics might work, I hadn't thought of that.

Either way, I did get it working, I just can only use it on my 1440p monitor for some reason. It's not a big enough deal for me to want to go mucking about in BIOS settings.

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

HDMI

I use a laptop with a 3080ti with plenty of memory.

Disabling the integrated graphics might work, I hadn't thought of that.

Either way, I did get it working, I just can only use it on my 1440p monitor for some reason. It's not a big enough deal for me to want to go mucking about in BIOS settings.

Have you tried plugging your 4k monitor into the same port your 1440p monitor is normally in?