Shinji Mikami is leaving Tango Gameworks after 12 years

Brian

26 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

The Evil Within is fine, but I hope his next project isn't just trying to recreate the same magic as RE4. I feel like TEW2 was a step in the right direction, but never fully committed to the new ideas, and was also in many ways a step back from TEW.

No clue if it matters, but TEW and TEW2 have different directors.  Shinji Mikami is listed as EP for the last three games Tango put out.

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

They caught my eye now with Hi-fi Rush and Ghostwire and ya I don’t think he had much to do with those so I’m still watching this company for what they do next.

Maybe his secret skill is building studios.

Yeah he saw Hi-Fi Rush's success and felt like he did a good enough job mentoring whoever made that game and now it's time for that guy to take over instead.

• True 1

30 minutes ago, TheShader said:

The larger headline is it's been 12 years since he left Capcom. Jesus Christ I'm getting old.

I realized this morning that the movie "3 Ninjas" came out in 1992, and is now 31 years old. And the brothers are all into their late 30s, or early 40s. Mikami leaving Capcom 12 years ago is a drop in the bucket. 

Maybe he can create a sequel to Vanquish, or make another Viewtiful Joe. We could use another Joe game in this day and age. Even a remaster would work well given its art style. Still looks good even today. 

5 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

The Evil Within is fine, but I hope his next project isn't just trying to recreate the same magic as RE4. I feel like TEW2 was a step in the right direction, but never fully committed to the new ideas, and was also in many ways a step back from TEW.

I think it was a step back in very, very few ways. Certainly not many. TEW1 is a goddamn mess.

• True 1

18 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I think it was a step back in very, very few ways. Certainly not many. TEW1 is a goddamn mess.

I think TEW1 is visually more interesting, has better atmosphere, I think the pacing and level variety is a bit better. The story is dumb across the board, but I was more interested in TEW1 than the sequel.