PLEASE build me a new PC

This monitor is only rated for 400 nits, but reviews show it hitting right near 600. Played Resident Evil 2 remake, and the difference between HDR and non-HDR is enormous. I cant even imagine what an HDR1000+ HDR monitor would look like now

And, damn, the monitor i got does indeed have a shitload of IPS glow. Way too distracting. Have a new one on the way, I hope it's much better. Even at 30% brightness, this thing puts out so much grey in black scenes that it's distracting.

• 4 weeks later...

So what’s a 4K 60fps rig look like these days? If I wanted something hooked up to my lg oled tv, what am I looking at? I’m not a tinkerer so so,e thing that would be good for a couple years would be best. I don’t know if I can do it but I’m curious. Also I shit at building things so ease of use a plus.

10 hours ago, Dodger said:

So what’s a 4K 60fps rig look like these days? If I wanted something hooked up to my lg oled tv, what am I looking at? I’m not a tinkerer so so,e thing that would be good for a couple years would be best. I don’t know if I can do it but I’m curious. Also I shit at building things so ease of use a plus.

Assuming you’d want to max out everything for that 4k 60 including RT, I’d go for something like (not going to bother with storage/cooling/fans/case as you can either move those over from a current build or get whatever is appealing to you):

CPU: 7800x3D OR 13700k OR a 14700k if you want to hold off until October 

Motherboard: x670 or b650 for AMD (a x670 will have more pcie lanes and thus likely more m.2 ports for storage, also supports more usb ports). Z690/Z790 or b760 for Intel 13xxx (mostly same differences as I mentioned for AMD but with the Zs having more pcie/usb). If you’re waiting for 14xxx Intel then (assuming chipset names) a Z890 or b860.

RAM: 32-64gb of DDR5 6000mhz, 2 sticks max for AMD. Same for Intel but you can go up to 4 sticks with less issues, you can also push up to 7000mhz more easily.

Video Card: a 4080 or 4090 are really your only choices IMO if you want max/near max settings (including ray tracing) at 4k/60 for a few years. AMDs top offerings right now get beat by nVidia’s last generation top cards once RT is enabled - if you think RT is ugly or something then a 7900XTX is a viable option, though as, without RT, it compares to a 4080. A 7900XTX runs for $950-1000+, a 4080 $1100-1200+, a 4090 $1550-1600+ (you may be able to use some Best Buy coupon deals to get the pricing down further). It’s hard for me to recommend AMD at the top end, as once you hit $800+ you shouldn’t need to be questioning if you can enable all settings (in this case, ray tracing). If you were looking mid end to the point that RT wouldn’t be viable too often anyway, then AMD becomes more appealing.

Do you have a Microcenter near you? They have some combo deals for CPU/MOBO/RAM.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Unless you care about RT going with AMD is the better option, pretty much across the board and at a cheaper price, hell AMD's last gen cards are still viable due to VRAM usage going through the roof so they're now outperforming 30 series on newer games even with RT enabled because of VRAM.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:41 PM, PaladinSolo said:

Unless you care about RT going with AMD is the better option

That’s kind of the problem: if you’re paying $800+ you should be able to turn RT on, and it’s really ridiculous how bad AMD is at RT that you’ll need to consider turning settings down sometimes at 4k with their two top video cards. A 7900XTX barely keeps up with a 3080 Ti in most situations when RT is enabled. I have no idea wtf AMD is thinking - nVidia needs real competition at the high end and AMD is going “well… maybe you can pay $1k+ and turn off some settings so we look better?”. AMD’s pricing is honestly just as bad as nVidia’s for the high-end with their 7000 series GPUs.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:41 PM, PaladinSolo said:

hell AMD's last gen cards are still viable due to VRAM usage going through the roof so they're now outperforming 30 series on newer games even with RT enabled because of VRAM

This is really only true for GPUs that you’re unlikely to turn RT on with or have at the lowest (RT) setting anyway at this point (newest games). 

If your budget is sub-$600 then AMD is often the better choice (once you’re at 4070 pricing, it generally has one of the best price-to-performance ratios regardless of what clickbaiting YouTubers tell you, more-so when you consider DLSS and frame gen; https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-founders-edition/33.html ), but if you’re trying for a 4k/60 build (what Dodger is asking about) that will last a bit where you can keep high-ultra settings there’s exactly one viable brand, and because of this everyone loses. 

I am hoping that Intel releases their high-end ARC card soon and it slaps nVidia around a bit considering they actually have good RT performance and the drivers for the 750-770 have drastically improved since launch.

If you are targetting 4k/60, I agree with @Spork3245, AMD shouldn't be at the top of your list.

VRAM is a problem on many of Nvidia's GPUs, I personally wouldn't buy a GPU with less than 12GB.  [One of the big reasons I decoided to overspend my Budget to get a 4080, was for the larger amount of VRAM over a 4070Ti.).

What most of the Youtube personalities miss is the importance of DLSS3.  Frame generation is a game changer in terms of the overall experience.  The current batch of AMD cards only support FSR2, which is noticeably worse than DLSS2 -- and likely never will have something comparable to DLSS3's frame generation.

At lower pricepoints, AMD makes great cards -- but I would recommend a lower res monitor than 4k as well.