Showtime and Paramount+ Merge

and several shows cancelled including Let The Right One in and American Gigolo

0_0_0_prm-ogsho_1280x640.jpeg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Paramount Global is rebranding its Showtime premium cable network as "Paramount+ with Showtime" amid wide-ranging changes.

It's HARD out here in these streets...

• Shocked 1

The way forward, in my view, is for these other brands to just be an add-on to platforms like Prime Video and Apple TV+. That’s actually how I get Paramount+, via Amazon. It makes it far easier to keep track of what I’m subscribed to at any given time and to CANCEL the ones I’m not actually using. It also works better for finding content to have a single interface that brings everything together in one place.

I don’t think most of these things can survive as a full on $10-$15/month service with regards to consumers actually showing up to pay. They may also not be able to survive at less than that given the cost of producing product. Rocky times are still ahead in the world of streaming.

Yeah, the landscape as it exists to today is not tenable. No one wants to have all of their entertainment split across a bunch of different apps and services.

It's funny, because all anyone ever wanted was to buy channels á la carte, but now that that is reality, it kind of sucks.

5-10 years from now I bet we will have one unified "browser" for all of our streaming subscriptions and shows and each service will feed into it. It has to eventually get there.

I also envision a world where most of these services get bought up by each other and we end up in a landscape where everything is heavily bundle based and it will be punitive to only buy a few streaming services. If you want any sort of deal, we will be back to buying big bundles and it will just be like cable all over again...

47 minutes ago, ort said:

5-10 years from now I bet we will have one unified "browser" for all of our streaming subscriptions and shows and each service will feed into it. It has to eventually get there.

Apple TV’s interface does some of this already with the home page where it will pull in links to content from your various apps.

What I would like to see if even if there are separate services I’m paying for is that AppleTV or Roku or whatever can eventually directly access the video streams in their native user interface. I really don’t like Prime Video’s user interface, so I would rather Apple get me to the Prime Video content I’m looking for and then Amazon just serve me the video file once I hit play.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Apple TV’s interface does some of this already with the home page where it will pull in links to content from your various apps.

What I would like to see if even if there are separate services I’m paying for is that AppleTV or Roku or whatever can eventually directly access the video streams in their native user interface. I really don’t like Prime Video’s user interface, so I would rather Apple get me to the Prime Video content I’m looking for and then Amazon just serve me the video file once I hit play.

Does it source from netflix yet? My nvidia shield pro tried to source too but also does not do netflix.

Peacock has discontinued its free, basic tier for new subscribers:

Peacock-plaza-1.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

In a move more than a year in the making, NBCUniversal streaming service Peacock is no longer letting new subscribers sign up for its free tier.

Continuing a strategic shift that dates back to 2021, NBCUniversal streaming service Peacock is no longer letting new subscribers sign up for its free, basic tier.

Instead, the registration page for the service offers only plans costing $5 and $10 a month. As of now, the basic tier is still in operation for existing, registered users.