C2 over Samsung S95B OLED for gaming in a living room with sunlight right?

stepee

Tomorrrooowwwww 

Excitement level is pretty uncontrollable at this point. I’ve wanted an oled for a lonnnnnnng time now, since the vita, but feature current ones just never dropped to that on sale for under $1000 for 65” range I usually look for. And at this point I don’t think oled will ever drop in price the way I thought until micro led comes out.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Tomorrrooowwwww 

Excitement level is pretty uncontrollable at this point. I’ve wanted an oled for a lonnnnnnng time now, since the vita, but feature current ones just never dropped to that on sale for under $1000 for 65” range I usually look for. And at this point I don’t think oled will ever drop in price the way I thought until micro led comes out.

I'm still amazed with the picture quality i get from my C9. It's incredible. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I'm still amazed with the picture quality i get from my C9. It's incredible. 

I’ve never actually SEEN gaming on an lg oled. I’ve heard and read how much better motion resolution (at 60+ fps) is so I’m really curious how it looks. I only have an idea from my oled switch lol.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

That’s some gpu manufacturer type marketing right there :P

Looks like the C3 is 20% brighter than the C2 according to LG, but no idea what context that’s under (SDR, HDR, both/all the time, or when the new MLA tech is focusing brightness on small areas). Regardless, 20% on a large TV is something you’d probably only notice with them side-by-side to compare. I’d imagine the G3 is 10-20% over the G2 based off that (complete guess, admittedly :p ), and I really think it may have more to do with MLA. 

• Thanks 1

Also just realized today is my three year anniversary of not drinking. This thread definitely shows improvement from when three years ago I was out of money and jobless without any good recent experience and about to have to actually move from CA to WV to stay with my Mom. Definitely turned around jussssst in time and man what a difference. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Pics, hoe

Kvsil8j.jpeg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Took forever to do everything lol. Had to move the tv in my bedroom first, then put the old living room tv and stand in the bedroom and set everything up, then finally mount the G2 which took awhile and we needed to get some washers at the hardware store. 

Still got a ton of work to do, like figuring out the best calibrations and moving a table over there and covering some stuff bla bla. I’m not going to go crazy with the wires or anything tho cuz I’m hoping I won’t be here too long.

I’m so worn out now especially my leg which is throbbing in pain lol, so I only tried a few things but it looks astonishing what I’ve seen so far. I tried W3, NFS Unbound, Miles Morales, and Dying Light 2 and everything was perfect with gsync (love seeing it verified now) with no ffucking flicker or weird bright ghosting. It was just…correct. Such a relief. 

The motion on oled is just a step above, it’s a huge improvement especially during camera pans at high frame rates. I could see this some playing some 60fps games like cruis’n on the switch oled. That’s when I REALLY got a bug in my ass about oled. The contrast is of course incredible even before I set my optimal settings. It reminds me of when I first got a plasma which was the last time I was truly blown away by a new tv.

The “new” bedroom tv is nice too, it has a nice high mount so its easier to see now under the comforter and it’s still about 5 years newer than the one I replaced I have real hdr now and dolby vision, and I tried out 120hz on the xbox sx on Ori and that was cool. Much happier with it for this usage. 

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 2

So I read last night that oled lg does indeed flicker in some circumstances with vrr. But unlike mine which tended to just do it everywhere it seems to be only with near blacks in static scenes when the frame rate fluctuates wildly.

I could replicate it in The Quarry in the first chapter after the prologue in a section of the cabin. At 4k there’s a frame spike and it’s kind of bouncing between 75-117fps back and forth, and it’s a completely static environment since nothing is moving there, and it has a lot of low lit sections, so I kind of stumbled on the perfect example to see what it does.

It’s a bit annoying that I guess this is still an unsolved problem but it’s not like my old one, this will realistically hardly ever happen so it’s like whatever. My old tv didn’t care it would strobe on the bottom constantly in most things so I couldn’t use it all the time. I do see there is also a feature on this to try to mitigate it on a per scenario basis (fine tune dark areas), I couldn’t really get any results I liked and I think in general i’m just not going to worry about it.

I also read last night that there are some brightness shift issues with lg oled still too, but I haven’t been able to replicate that myself yet though. I thought I’d caught it in a couple games but it was the dlss sharpening that was doing it and turning off the sharpening made it go away. I never noticed that before I think because my other tv was doing both the dlss sharpening and having its own vrr related brightness shift issue.

Besides that I’m slowly getting a feel for how I personally like different settings before I try a calibration guide (will probably try the resetera thread) and just trying a load of different games and scenarios.

Cyberpunk maxed out on a 4090 on this is just fucking glutinous like I feel like someone should arrest me.

@Spork3245you had asked me to comment on brightness compared to my previous led out here and the other tv certainly got brighter. I’d say you would need an oled that is actually 70% brighter to match the actual brightness of my now bedroom led tv. 

But also that tv is really fucking bright, it’s two years old now but I think it still is probably up there for brightness. And it’s a closer match as far as the brightness in the highest intensity hdr peaks. The perceived brightness is also closer due to better color pop with the increased contrast.

Overall it’s super bright for an oled and more than fine for a living room even with pretty direct sunlight. I imagine any C or G series at this point is fine for brightness and it will just be about looking even more impressive from there. 

• Thanks 1

It is difficult for me to say which display is better for gaming in a living room with sunlight without more context. The Samsung S95B OLED and the C2 display you mentioned may have different characteristics that make them more or less suitable for gaming in different environments.

In general, OLED displays are known for their excellent contrast ratio and wide viewing angles, which can make them well-suited for gaming in a living room setting. However, OLED displays can be susceptible to image retention and burn-in, which can be a concern for users who engage in extended gaming sessions. On the other hand, the C2 display may have different features that make it more suitable for gaming in a living room with sunlight. Without more information about the specific characteristics of the C2 display, it is difficult to say how it might compare to the Samsung S95B OLED in this particular environment.

Ultimately, the best display for gaming in a living room with sunlight will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user. It may be helpful to research the features and capabilities of both displays and consider how they might meet your needs for gaming in this particular environment.

1 minute ago, Aliana2 said:

Ultimately, the best display for gaming in a living room with sunlight will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user. It may be helpful to research the features and capabilities of both displays and consider how they might meet your needs for gaming in this particular environment.

lol this is 100% a ChatGPT output

• Haha 1

holy crap I played planet earth 2 uhd and it looks stunning

Any pc lg oled users try hooking up the magic remote to pc to use it as a mouse? 

It looks like a pain in the ass to setup so was curious on impressions before I bothered trying. I’m just curious how east is it to switch between pc and tv usage once it’s all set up.

It would be highly convenient for me on the recliner to just use this for launching games and basic windows settings.