Anyone have experience with gaming laptops?

Fizzzzle

I think I'm going to get one. I tend to move around a lot these days. I haven't even used my desktop in over a year because most of the time I simply don't have it available. 

It seems like every single gaming laptop has a bunch of people saying it sucks. Surely, they can't all be bad?

I've seen most people complain that Alienware laptops have bad battery life, but like... When the fuck are you using that thing on a battery, honestly. A bunch also come with bloat ware, but that's no surprise. You just have to spend a day cleaning all that shit out, it's not a huge deal.

A bunch of laptops I've noticed are also all still 1080p

For me the issue is always that it turns out I don’t like playing on a laptop. I’ve had a few but beyond the initial novelty I never actually used them for gaming. They aren’t as good for dual purpose (using it as a regular laptop running off battery) because of the battery as you mentioned and they run hot so aren’t great if you plan to have it on your lap.

And then there just isn’t a position I like to sit in where playing with a laptop feels good to me. I don’t want it just sitting on my lap, I don’t really like gaming at a table, laying in bed with it is awkward. For any kind of situation I would use a laptop for a handheld always is more enjoyable for me to actually use.

The Steam Deck is what I actually wanted, I knew that years ago even before I got my gpd win 1, but it took forever to finally get to the point of a good product on the market. But now it’s here, and if all you care about is gaming I would just get that for $500 (256gb model) and call it a day.

That said that is just for MY use case. If you like gaming at a table for instance than most of my issues go away. If you need help deciding which specs to go for with your budget that I can assist with!

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think I'm going to get one. I tend to move around a lot these days. I haven't even used my desktop in over a year because most of the time I simply don't have it available. 

It seems like every single gaming laptop has a bunch of people saying it sucks. Surely, they can't all be bad?

I've seen most people complain that Alienware laptops have bad battery life, but like... When the fuck are you using that thing on a battery, honestly. A bunch also come with bloat ware, but that's no surprise. You just have to spend a day cleaning all that shit out, it's not a huge deal.

A bunch of laptops I've noticed are also all still 1080p

What are you looking for? Highest FPS and quality possible or would you be satisfied with a midrange device. 

Alienwares are good but you could potentially find better deals. I have a 3080 Alienware and a 3060 Asus Flow X13. Most people complaining about laptops is due to the price. You are gonna be spending more or less performance. 

I love my Flow x16. I almost want to step out of the handheld PC space be ause it's so good. 

Look for AMD processors for battery life. AMD GPUs should also be more efficient then AMD

What’s the price range? 

Gaming laptops are way better than they used to be. It just depends on use case if they make sense to purchase over the other options. I recently purchased one because I need a computer for daily personal tasks that I don’t want to do on my work laptop and to play RTS, strategy and other PC games. I need it to be portable since I am

in the office most days and try to spend the weekend down the shore. 

I thought the deck could do that for me but Linux is a foreign language to me.  I struggle sometimes to get basic shit to work so I didn’t even bother trying to get Windows on it. It is a good portable game machine outside the genres I listed above if you stay in the Steam OS.  

There is a reason why desktops, consoles, laptops, and handhelds all exist and do quite well. There are use cases for all of them.

31 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

If you are an RTS gamer/MKB gamer, get a laptop. If that's not you, then go for a steam deck.

I thought about it, but I also need a work laptop.

28 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

What are you looking for? Highest FPS and quality possible or would you be satisfied with a midrange device. 

Alienwares are good but you could potentially find better deals. I have a 3080 Alienware and a 3060 Asus Flow X13. Most people complaining about laptops is due to the price. You are gonna be spending more or less performance. 

I love my Flow x16. I almost want to step out of the handheld PC space be ause it's so good. 

Look for AMD processors for battery life. AMD GPUs should also be more efficient then AMD

I think I should be able to go pretty high end. I do want it to last me a while. I didn't know that AMD processors

24 minutes ago, Brian said:

What’s the price range? 

Eh, like $2k probably. We'll see.

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I thought about it, but I also need a work laptop.

I think I should be able to go pretty high end. I do want it to last me a while. I didn't know that AMD processors

Eh, like $2k probably. We'll see.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-legion-slim-7-amd-advantage-edition-16-wqxga-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-6900hx-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-6800s-1tb-ssd-onyx-grey/6504422.p?skuId=6504422

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-wqxga-120hz-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-16gb-ddr5-memory-amd-radeon-rx-6800s-1tb-pcie-4-0-ssd-moonlight-white/6494639.p?skuId=6494639

Alternatively if you prefer look the Alienware AMD models are great. They even offer the 6950M. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

I don’t think you need to pay that much to get a good laptop.  I link some good options. I do suggest trying to see some of these laptops in person to get a better feel of the size and weight as these laptops can be quite heavy. Also if you narrow it down, try to watch a couple of YT videos. I like Jarrod’s Tech. 

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

AMD Ryzen 9 5980HX processor. Processor Model: AMD Ryzen 9 5000 Series. 15.6" QHD display with 165hz refresh rate. Screen Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD)...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-15-6-wqhd-165hz-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-16gb-ddr5-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-512gb-pcie-4-0-ssd-eclipse-gray/6494630.p?ref=8575135&loc=0ad7e5e8728911ed834a36987a0a01ff0INT&acampID=0ad7e5e8728911ed834a36987a0a01ff0INT&skuId=6494630

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Processor Model 6800H. Never compromise on your gaming laptop again. Uncompromised battery life. Expand your winning zone Rise above FHD gaming to a new...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The weight/battery life stuff doesn't really bother me, as I would almost never use it while not at a desk/couch. I have a Chromebook I use for other situations, as well as another really shitty laptop.

I'm basically not so much looking for a totally portable experience so much as something that isn't a bitch to take with me every once in a while.

A semi-nomadic desktop PC, if you will.

I do like that Legion that @Brian got from having looked at it. I’d probably go with something like that if I tried it out again. It’s quite beastly for the price, screen sounds nice, and if that battery life checks out then the only downside I can think of is if it gets insanely hot.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I do like that Legion that @Brian got from having looked at it. I’d probably go with something like that if I tried it out again. It’s quite beastly for the price, screen sounds nice, and if that battery life checks out then the only downside I can think of is if it gets insanely hot.

Do those cooler pad things I've seen people use actually work?

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

They do. I had one that powered from the laptop that worked pretty well. But then it’s just more weight on my lap and another thing to deal with so I didn’t actually use it much.

This was awhile ago maybe they make them more comfy now too tho.

9 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

AMD processors run cooler and offer way better battery life. I'd recommend a cooling pad but I don't personally use one while using my laptop for Paradox games. 

My Flow x16 makes me question handheld gaming though. Mainly because I can connect a controller put it in it'a tent config and play games on a 16in 1440p display. I kinda wish someone would YOLO and make a 2 in 1 that I guess has joycon mounts or some type of split xbox controller that you can attach to it. 

21 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I never use them. The laptops get hot in the back and bottom. As long as it is sitting on a surface other than your lap, you won’t really notice. 

I recommend buying the laptop from a store that has a good return policy. This way you can test drive it out and see if it works for you. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Brian said:

I never use them. The laptops get hot in the back and bottom. As long as it is sitting on a surface other than your lap, you won’t really notice. 

I recommend buying the laptop from a store that has a good return policy. This way you can test drive it out and see if it works for you. 

That's good. Like I said, I'm probably almost never going to use it when not at a desk.

I just also haven't lived in one place for longer than like 4 months in the last 2 years. I need a portable desktop, not a... Portable laptop... If that makes sense.

3 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Oo i wouldn't worry about bloatware. They have their own control panels and antivirus but nothing like early 2000s prebuilts. I legit switched to alienware at the time to avoid bloatware.

The laptop I bought had Mcafee and that’s about it. Took only about 10 minutes to clean it up. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian said:

The laptop I bought had Mcafee and that’s about it. Took only about 10 minutes to clean it up. 

Did you then download Adobe Reader and not uncheck the boxes so you inadvertently installed Mcafee right back like 70% of computer users?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up spending, uh... Rather more than 2k:blush:

... Christmas present for myself.

... For the next 5 years.

Hopefully it's worth it. I travel/move too much to deal with a desktop (I've moved three times in like the last 18 months), I haven't been able to play games really at all much of the last 2 years, and I want my hobby back. Plus I can start doing photo/video editing again now that I won't be using a potato.

First things first will probably be to play the Sims 4 for a little while, then I have 2 years worth of backlog to catch up on! I still haven't played Ys IX (thank you @Commissar SFLUFAN), red dead redemption II, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, God of War, horizon zero dawn, disco Elysium, and a whole bunch of other shit. I'm excited.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

On 12/2/2022 at 7:16 PM, stepee said:

Did you then download Adobe Reader and not uncheck the boxes so you inadvertently installed Mcafee right back like 70% of computer users?

I actually did that with my current potato laptop. I was kind of on autopilot, realized I did it as soon as I clicked it and was like FUCK! ... they got me.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Hopefully it's worth it. I travel/move too much to deal with a desktop (I've moved three times in like the last 18 months), I haven't been able to play games really at all much of the last 2 years, and I want my hobby back. Plus I can start doing photo/video editing again now that I won't be using a potato.

First things first will probably be to play the Sims 4 for a little while, then I have 2 years worth of backlog to catch up on! I still haven't played Ys IX (thank you @Commissar SFLUFAN), red dead redemption II, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, God of War, horizon zero dawn, disco Elysium, and a whole bunch of other shit. I'm excited.

Did you play Ys 8? Its excellent.

9 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Did you play Ys 8? Its excellent.

Yes I did. It's easily my favorite jrpg of the last 5 years.

Honestly all of the Ys games are great, at least the ones I've played (I've never played Oath in Felghana or Origin, but I've seen good things about both of them). Falcom is honestly the best jrpg developer these days.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

50 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

ok cmon what did you get 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Cyberpunk is dope af now. Play it.

I knew that would be one of those games to wait a year or two before playing it.

That's honestly how I play a lot of massive RPGs these days. Wait until all the DLC is released and the bugs have been worked out.

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I knew that would be one of those games to wait a year or two before playing it.

That's honestly how I play a lot of massive RPGs these days. Wait until all the DLC is released and the bugs have been worked out.

They did one hell of a job fixing the game. It literally is basically their original vision when developing it. I had so much fun with it. Great gameplay and story. It looks incredible too. 

• Halal 1

41 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

https://us-store.msi.com/Stealth-GS77-12UHS-040

All the reviews of it are pretty good, except for the people saying it gets really hot, which, like... no shit, it's a laptop with a 3080ti in it, of course it gets hot.

Damnnnn son, yeah that there is a beastly laptop! Should definitely last you a very long time.

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 1