Supreme Court clears way for Trump tax records to be sent to Congress by IRS

106146938-1569359126357rtx74e7i.jpg?v=16
WWW.CNBC.COM

The House Ways and Means Committee for three years had sought to obtain income tax returns of former President Donald Trump.

Spoiler

The decision sets the stage for the Democrat-controlled House Ways and Means Committee to obtain Trump’s tax returns in the weeks before Republicans take majority control of the House.

GOP lawmakers have vowed to end the committee’s quest to obtain the records and a related probe into how the Internal Revenue Service audits the tax returns of sitting presidents.

The order Tuesday by the Supreme Court, which noted no dissent from any justice, comes more than three months after a three-judge panel of the federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., ruled that the Ways and Means Committee had the right to obtain Trump’s tax returns.

The entire appeals court on Oct. 27 denied Trump’s request to have the full lineup of the judges on that court rehear his appeal.

Trump then asked the Supreme Court on Oct. 31 to block the committee from obtaining his tax returns.

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Cool! Now how will they manage to fumble this?! 

Trump will sit on his hands and refuse to hand the documents over, which will put him back in court, but will still be enough to delay release until the GOP officially drops the request in January.

• True 3

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Trump will sit on his hands and refuse to hand the documents over, which will put him back in court, but will still be enough to delay release until the GOP officially drops the request in January.

It's not trump handing the documents over, it's the IRS. Trump has no part or say in this.

Trump isn’t teflon, he isn't immune, and far too many people act like he is. Things take time to wind through courts, but he's clearly losing all of the cases. 

• Halal 2

19 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

It's not trump handing the documents over, it's the IRS. Trump has no part or say in this.

Trump isn’t teflon, he isn't immune, and far too many people act like he is. Things take time to wind through courts, but he's clearly losing all of the cases.

That's good. My post was largely in jest, but until they actually have them or release them, my default assumption is that Trump will succeed in delaying whatever case it is. I've long argued that it's the only thing he's really been consistently successful at, and given how many judges are sympathetic to him, it doesn't take a lot to understand why.

This particular battle has been fought for four years! And this has just been a fight to reveal documents that the government has to the freaking House of Representatives! The law in question isn't exactly complicated, it just says that when the Ways and Means chairman asks for this stuff, the Secretary "shall furnish" everything requested.

I understand that Trump's lawyers have successfully made it more complicated than that, but really the case is very straightforward, and again, all that happens here is that one part of the government has to give another part of the government access to a few files. We haven't even gotten close to anything like a criminal trial, or hell, even a criminal investigation. Delaying that kind of action for four years just seems absurd.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That's good. My post was largely in jest, but until they actually have them or release them, my default assumption is that Trump will succeed in delaying whatever case it is. I've long argued that it's the only thing he's really been consistently successful at, and given how many judges are sympathetic to him, it doesn't take a lot to understand why.

This particular battle has been fought for four years! And this has just been a fight to reveal documents that the government has to the freaking House of Representatives! The law in question isn't exactly complicated, it just says that when the Ways and Means chairman asks for this stuff, the Secretary "shall furnish" everything requested.

I understand that Trump's lawyers have successfully made it more complicated than that, but really the case is very straightforward, and again, all that happens here is that one part of the government has to give another part of the government access to a few files. We haven't even gotten close to anything like a criminal trial, or hell, even a criminal investigation. Delaying that kind of action for four years just seems absurd.

I imagine they have them already. Access should have been immediate, and I thinkthey are digitized.