Age of Mythology: Retold (Definitive Edition) - 2024 release announced for PC/Xbox/Game Pass

Brian

On 10/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, Zaku3 said:

Microsoft please Rise of Legends.

1 hour ago, LionFranco said:

Please release Rise of Legends! Been waiting way too long for it.

It is a bit surprising that Microsoft released a definitive edition in 2014 of Rise of Nations and Rise of Nations: Thrones & Patriots as one release but no definitive edition for Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. Weird. 

On 10/25/2022 at 2:54 PM, Spork3245 said:

Hopefully this includes the DLC they put out a couple years back! :santasun:

Given the Definitive Editions of Age of Empires I, II and III included every single expansion and DLC for each game that is out, I imagine this definitive edition of Age of Mythology will include everything as well, including The Golden Gift, The Titans, and Tale of the Dragon (the DLC from 2016). 

I believe Rise of Legends bombed. I loved it but I can see how going from a historical titles to an Arabian nights inspired faction, a clockwork Leonardo Da Vinci faction, and I think the 3rd was ancient mesoamerican aliens would turn people off. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Age of Mythology: Retold (Definitive Edition) Announced - 2024 release announced for PC/Xbox/Game Pass

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Enter the age of gods, heroes, and monsters! Age of Mythology: Retold is a real-time strategy game where myths and humans collide. Secure your domain, command legendary monsters, and call upon the power of the gods to crush your enemies—or band together with friends to defeat the Arena of the Gods.

GHCtNvmWUAA-YAI?format=jpg&name=large

GHCtPMfW0AEO8oA?format=jpg&name=large

GHCtRA_WcAAFCeK?format=jpg&name=large

GHCtT2JWEAALzsq?format=jpg&name=large

GHC0QS7XwAAeLnz?format=jpg&name=large

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Age of Mythology: Retold (Definitive Edition) - 2024 release announced for PC/Xbox/Game Pass
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Revamped graphics, changes to unit numbers and mythological powers are set to make Retold a huge update to the 2002 RTS.

The upcoming Age of Mythology: Retold has been shown off in-depth for the first time today during Microsoft's New Year, New Age livestream, marking the first showing of the definitive edition of everyone's favorite Age spinoff since its announcement in late 2022. 

The new video segment showed off some of the game's signature mythological monsters in detail, including the terrible medusas, the flying pegasus scout, and the titan Cerberus using an augmented reality platform. The monsters are pretty dang good looking, part of the overall effort to make Age of Mythology: Retold a real upgrade from the game we played in 2002, including changes to the models as you upgrade through the ages—though they definitely come complete with a stack of classic sounds and twists on the old animations. The Medusa death sound, in particular, is just as I remember it.

That's just what Age of Mythology: Retold producer Earnest Yuen had to say when I spoke with him about the upcoming remake, which will release this year on both PC and Xbox. Yuen has worked at Microsoft for nearly a quarter-century, starting as QA on the first Age of Empires—it's clear that his love for the series runs deep.

The studio's plans to remake the first fully 3D Age of Empires required a different kind of work, and inspired the team to go to new lengths in their upgrades to the game.

"Age of Mythology: Retold is way beyond what we normally do for definitive editions," said Yuen. He and the team want to make the game as epic, engaging, and pretty as players remember it, rather than simply updating what was there. "We want to build the game in your head," he said.

That means using changes to the graphics and game engine that were made for the Age of Empires 3 Definitive Edition, then going beyond that. The start is "adding ray tracing, upping the population limit, [and] adding an engine to handle special effects," said Yuen. Population limit in particular will be a big change for Age of Mythology not just in how visually impressive it is, but in the fundamentals of how it plays. Strategies in AoM were often boxed in by the strict limits on units set by the limitations of the day's graphical tech—even if it was widely praised at the time.