Not all Intel processors are Intel Processors but all Intel Processors are Intel processors.

Jason

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

So what, it's going to be called Intel Processor i7 9900k or something?

No, because the i7 is part of the Core lineup. It isn't Intel Pentium i7 9900k, it's Intel Core i7 9900k. Sounds like they're merging the Pentium and Celeron lines, so that'll just make keeping up with the actual model numbers super confusing.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, stepee said:

just never get anything below a core i3 and it’s fine

For really cheap laptops, Pentium chips can be just fine. They normally have a pretty decent clock speed with hyper threading on the their tiny two cores.  Celerons are trash. They mostly match the Pentium, except they run slower and have no hyper threading. I understand the desire to just merge the products, but without some clear indication that one is step above the other, it's going to be a pain in the ass to keep track of.

I guess I’m lucky in that even with non profits I haven’t had to recommend lower than a cheap i3! The life expectancy gets so low below that, I really like to at least try to find a cheap enough i5. Celeron should just be discontinued and the new branding should just be pentium. Nobody deserves a celeron.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

I guess I’m lucky in that even with non profits I haven’t had to recommend lower than a cheap i3! The life expectancy gets so low below that, I really like to at least try to find a cheap enough i5. Celeron should just be discontinued and the new branding should just be pentium. Nobody deserves a celeron.

Pentiums barely have a place in this day and age. Honestly, in 2022, I'd recommend a Chrome Book running on an ARM over a Pentium notebook running Windows. You don't really gain any benefit running Windows on a machine that under powered.

• True 1

31 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Pentiums barely have a place in this day and age. Honestly, in 2022, I'd recommend a Chrome Book running on an ARM over a Pentium notebook running Windows. You don't really gain any benefit running Windows on a machine that under powered.

So the worst modern dayish processor I have used is the old Atom CPUs on netbooks. Is it as bad as that?

36 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

So the worst modern dayish processor I have used is the old Atom CPUs on netbooks. Is it as bad as that?

Does Intel even make Atom procs anymore? I'll answer my own question. Yes, but for the server market. The Pentium chips aren't that bad. They run Windows about as well as a mid tier ARM CPU runs Chrome OS. The only issue there is that the Chromebook running on ARM is going to have better battery life.

The worst for me when taking over other accounts is not the cpu but these people who got suckered into buying laptops with 4gb of ram after Windows 10 was already out, so somewhat recently. It was beyond time to recommend 8gb then and video chat/collab programs and omg especially MS Teams for those that use it have made those absolutely useless.

22 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Does Intel even make Atom procs anymore? I'll answer my own question. Yes, but for the server market. The Pentium chips aren't that bad. They run Windows about as well as a mid tier ARM CPU runs Chrome OS. The only issue there is that the Chromebook running on ARM is going to have better battery life.

Ahh I remember winning a few netbooks at work when they were popular. Atom processors hurt my soul to use based on those netbooks. 

17 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Ahh I remember winning a few netbooks at work when they were popular. Atom processors hurt my soul to use based on those netbooks. 

I used to have a mini desktop that ran on Atom. It was my fault driver for when I didn't want to waste electricity running my gaming desktop just to watch videos or browse the Internet. Nowadays, I have an M1 Mac Mini that serves the same purpose.

The current Atom lineup is super weird if you're only used to what was in the netbooks. Still tiny, shitty, low-powered cores, but now you get like 24 of them and they're perfectly good for powering a NAS or something similar.