Anyone recently play Day's Gone on the PS5 or PC?

best3444

I mainly come at games from the angle that the story and characters are disposable window dressing so when they are good I will gladly acknowledge it but when they're not, they just fade into the background. Days Gone makes Sons of Anarchy look like the deepest shit you ever seen so yeah. It IS repetitive also, that's for sure. 

I didn't finish it, no, but I dipped out when I was still mostly really enjoying it because I always lose interest in mammoth games like this. I'd still give it an easy 8/10 based on what I did play. I base that one the fact that I played it before TLoU2 and Days Gone basically gave me TLoU1.5 but without the obnoxiously restrictive level design, constant slow walking and too-short encounters of TLoU. But then I played TLoU2 which, for the most part, fixes all my gripes with the original so maybe I'd view Days Gone less favorably now. 

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

I guess I'm still in the early stages of this game. It's getting a tedious now with quests that are nearly identical every time.

I agree that some of the side stuff that you do in the game can become repetitive and tedious since there’s not as much variety to it as I would like, but it’s optional and if you stick to the story missions then you should find the overall pacing to be better.

I'm not liking Deacon at all which is a big deal. He's just a miserable smart ass and he has no personality.

I didn’t like him for a while either for the same reasons that you mentioned, and I found his mumbling annoying. However, when you start seeing more flashbacks you realize that he’s kind of different in the past compared to the present and you start to understand over the course of the game why he acts the way that he does in the present. But he doesn’t stay that way for too long, and starts becoming more likable as time goes on. I really liked how they realistically portrayed his change in mental health and personality throughout the game based on past events that occurred, and ones that occur while playing the game.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I feel like this was a game that received a lukewarm reception when it came out thanks to the issues you're talking about. People mentioning the bad dialogue like, "I'm gonna ride you like my motorcycle" or whatever he says.

The line of dialogue that Sarah says during the wedding scene saying that she wants Deacon to promise to ride her as much as his bike was taken out of context before the game came out. The game actually has good dialogue and writing throughout, its story and characters are somewhat strong for a video game IMO.

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

I mean if I was retired and had nothing to do all day, I'd  MAYBE beat this game before I passed. 

Didn’t you finish Assassin’s Creed Valhalla somewhat recently, Days Gone is like half the size of it so I’m not sure why you’re acting like it’s some 100+ hour behemoth of a game. :lol: But yeah, I can say from personal experience that being retired and having nothing to do all day does help when it comes to big open world games. :p

All this talk had me making some progress on deck last night and I had a pretty good time. The animation and AI is pretty good I didn’t pay attention to that before, made shootouts with the humans fun. Kind of wish there wasn’t a gas limit already, I hope something happens later that makes it so you can micro manage that less.

Its an amazing looking game on deck, I have it locked at 30fps/720p with high settings but with ultra settings for lighting so I get the advanced GI. May only be 30fps but it actually looks better than it does on ps5 besides that and it’s on a freakin handheld running it natively. I also played it just all the way maxed out using moonlight at 60fps which is of course also fantastic.

Maybe I’ll just make this my new game, we will see!

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Kind of wish there wasn’t a gas limit already, I hope something happens later that makes it so you can micro manage that less.

I remember some people complaining about this back when the game came out, but I liked it myself. I thought that it added a somewhat realistic element to the game, and hunting for gas led to some great unscripted moments in the game that I wouldn’t have experienced otherwise.

Just now, Phaseknox said:

I remember some people complaining about this back when the game came out, but I liked it myself. I thought that it added a somewhat realistic element to the game, and hunting for gas led to some great unscripted moments in the game that I wouldn’t have experienced otherwise.

I don’t like that feeling of if I run out I’m kinda screwed or end up having to really chug along, it’s what’s kept me from getting into Death Stranding too. I think it kinda of makes me anxious. It’s not that big of a deal in this it seems, but it’s not a mechanic I’m a fan of generally.

20 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I agree that some of the side stuff that you do in the game can become repetitive and tedious since there’s not as much variety to it as I would like, but it’s optional and if you stick to the story missions then you should find the overall pacing to be better.

I didn’t like him for a while either for the same reasons that you mentioned, and I found his mumbling annoying. However, when you start seeing more flashbacks you realize that he’s kind of different in the past compared to the present and you start to understand over the course of the game why he acts the way that he does in the present. But he doesn’t stay that way for too long, and starts becoming more likable as time goes on. I really liked how they realistically portrayed his change in mental health and personality throughout the game based on past events that occurred, and ones that occur while playing the game.

The line of dialogue that Sarah says during the wedding scene saying that she wants Deacon to promise to ride her as much as his bike was taken out of context before the game came out. The game actually has good dialogue and writing throughout, its story and characters are somewhat strong for a video game IMO.

Didn’t you finish Assassin’s Creed Valhalla somewhat recently, Days Gone is like half the size of it so I’m not sure why you’re acting like it’s some 100+ hour behemoth of a game. :lol: But yeah, I can say from personal experience that being retired and having nothing to do all day does help when it comes to big open world games. :p

I didn't even get close to beating Valhalla. It was ridiculously big and again, bored me so I stopped. 

Very interesting info about Deacon's personality change. That is pretty cool. 

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

All this talk had me making some progress on deck last night and I had a pretty good time. The animation and AI is pretty good I didn’t pay attention to that before, made shootouts with the humans fun. Kind of wish there wasn’t a gas limit already, I hope something happens later that makes it so you can micro manage that less.

Its an amazing looking game on deck, I have it locked at 30fps/720p with high settings but with ultra settings for lighting so I get the advanced GI. May only be 30fps but it actually looks better than it does on ps5 besides that and it’s on a freakin handheld running it natively. I also played it just all the way maxed out using moonlight at 60fps which is of course also fantastic.

Maybe I’ll just make this my new game, we will see!

That's incredible that it looks better on deck. 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t like that feeling of if I run out I’m kinda screwed or end up having to really chug along, it’s what’s kept me from getting into Death Stranding too. I think it kinda of makes me anxious. It’s not that big of a deal in this it seems, but it’s not a mechanic I’m a fan of generally.

Once you gain trust levels in a settlement you can make your bike last a really long time without getting gas. I agree with you on the fact that it does make you anxious when gas is low and there isn't any gas in sight. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I didn't even get close to beating Valhalla. It was ridiculously big and again, bored me so I stopped.

I thought that you had finished Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. :doh:

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I agree with you on the fact that it does make you anxious when gas is low and there isn't any gas in sight.

That’s part of what makes the gas mechanic appealing IMO.

2 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I thought that you had finished Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. :doh:

That’s part of what makes the gas mechanic appealing IMO.

I usually never run out of gas because I plan my destinations appropriately. Plus, there is gas located all over the map for the most part. 

Funny thing happened yesterday as I was attempting to take out a camp of the bad guys. I had to kill 14 people to clear the camp and out of nowhere a huge horde invades the camp and I see the body count go down so quickly. The horde destroyed them in 30 seconds and I received the mission complete notification. That's random and pretty damn cool. 

8 hours ago, best3444 said:

I understand it picks up at around 20 hours but that is ridiculous to me. I'm taking a break from it for now. I gave it like 10 hours and thought it would get better as some positive reviews say it does if you give it time. It started out cool as hell and then got way too repetitive. There's a very good game at the core, but the developers really fucked up the pacing in this game and were way to ambitious. 

The pacing is screwed up, definitely.  The second chapter at least should have been shortened or cut completely.  The skill tree is actually pretty good overall, but bike upgrades take forever at the start.

• True 1

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Funny thing happened yesterday as I was attempting to take out a camp of the bad guys. I had to kill 14 people to clear the camp and out of nowhere a huge horde invades the camp and I see the body count go down so quickly. The horde destroyed them in 30 seconds and I received the mission complete notification. That's random and pretty damn cool. 

That’s awesome, and one of the reasons why I like open world games so much because random unscripted stuff like that can occur at any time while playing.

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The pacing is screwed up, definitely.  The second chapter at least should have been shortened or cut completely.

The pacing does feel a bit off at times and the game as a whole feels a little longer than necessary, but I like all of the second act and wouldn’t want any of it shortened and definitely not cut completely. I personally think that the first act should have been shortened a little, because it drags a bit at times IMO.

5 hours ago, Biggie said:

@best3444 I’m playing thru Uncharted 4 PS5 upgrade. You have to play this shit. 

I thought I read that Uncharted 4 didn't get any upgrades? If it did, I'm definitely playing it. I only beat it once back at that release so this is good news. 

I'll look it up now. 

Edit: First thing I read this:

"Unfortunately, if you own the PS5 Digital Edition Console, the cheaper $400 unit without a disc drive, you'll need to own Uncharted 4 digitally. Right now, the Uncharted 4: A Thief's End & Uncharted: The Lost Legacy bundle on the PlayStation Store(opens in new tab) retails for $40".

I'm reading it's a difficult process to upgrade the game. I'm not seeing what has been improved, either. I bought a physical copy of that game at release.

@Biggie I have a 2 hour trial for both Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy because I have PlayStation Plus.

After 2 hours, I would have to buy Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection for $50. I may buy this if it gets cheaper. You can't buy each game separately. 

I played an hour of Uncharted 4 and it was beautiful. It runs an adaptive 4K mode which scales from 1440p, but at 60 FPS.

It's very good looking but GOW 2018 and the TLOU2 have the edge. Thanks for bringing this up because I loved both of these games. I beat them both at their release. I love how the PS5 is upgrading these classic games because they look "next-gen" to me.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm clueless with PC's these days. It's been over 10 years since I owned a desktop and laptop. 

Realistically there's nothing difficult about it. The hardest thing is probably building your own and if you buy a prebuilt then you're good to go. But if the idea gives you anxiety then yeah I guess stay away.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Realistically there's nothing difficult about it. The hardest thing is probably building your own and if you buy a prebuilt then you're good to go. But if the idea gives you anxiety then yeah I guess stay away.

I just focus on consoles now. When my twin was alive we would have fun modding games and having the best graphics card etc. I'm done with that now.

@Biggie I have a 2 hour trial for both Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy because I have PlayStation Plus.

After 2 hours, I would have to buy Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection for $50. I may buy this if it gets cheaper. You can't buy each game separately. 

I played an hour of Uncharted 4 and it was beautiful. It runs an adaptive 4K mode which scales from 1440p, but at 60 FPS.

It's very good looking but GOW 2018 and the TLOU2 have the edge. Thanks for bringing this up because I loved both of these games. I beat them both at their release. I love how the PS5 is upgrading these classic games because they look "next-gen" to me.

But the gameplay is fantastic 

11 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm a fuckin idiot. You CAN download Uncharted 4 on it's own and I get it for free. So it's downloaded and I'm going to play this and GOW today. :]

@Biggie

I got fucked. Uncharted 4 is free with PS plus BUT get this shit...you don't get the options for the performance enhancements. I laughed when I read it online then I went to play it and sure enough there was no options for visuals.

So...I sucked it up like a man and bought the Uncharted legacy of thieves collection for $49.99

I played for 2 hours which I didn't expect because I'm focusing on GOW but it is so damn good I couldn't stop playing.

I did try out the 1080p 120fps and the visuals take to much of a hit for that. So I'm playing on performance mode which is 4K mode which scales from 1440p and plays at 60fps. Phenomenal game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@Biggie

I got fucked. Uncharted 4 is free with PS plus BUT get this shit...you don't get the options for the performance enhancements. I laughed when I read it online then I went to play it and sure enough there was no options for visuals.

So...I sucked it up like a man and bought the Uncharted legacy of thieves collection for $49.99

I played for 2 hours which I didn't expect because I'm focusing on GOW but it is so damn good I couldn't stop playing.

I did try out the 1080p 120fps and the visuals take to much of a hit for that. So I'm playing on performance mode which is 4K mode which scales from 1440p and plays at 60fps. Phenomenal game!

Uncharted is my favorite. I’m on chapter 12. I never play a game twice but I’m playing this. Lost Legacy is next. I started it a while back but never finished it. 

• Halal 1