NY Times is Worried about Skynet

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
24roose-1-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

We’re in a golden age of progress in artificial intelligence. It’s time to start taking its potential and risks seriously.

Doesn't someone here work in A.I.?

Yeah, I do research in AI and have been lucky enough to have started when AI capabilities were laughably limited, to now working on projects that are better than humans in certain capacities at complex tasks.

AI research is in a state of very rapid progress compared to where we were any time before 10 years ago. And importantly, it's reached a point where it's actually useful in lots of spaces rather than very niche areas. People will be increasingly interacting with AI technology.

That said, there are many huge open issues to getting to human-like cognitive capabilities. "AGI" if you want to use that term (I've come to hate it as a term though). So while progress is rapid and now good enough to impact people's lives, we're still a long way from biological intelligence.

This part of the article is on point:

What’s missing is a shared, value-neutral way of talking about what today’s A.I. systems are actually capable of doing, and what specific risks and opportunities those capabilities present.

Do not listen to charlatan tech bros or certain groups of philosophers either selling AI utopia or existential risk. Both are fantasy. The reality is there are many "mundane" issues that are in far more need of attention and the real worst case you have to worry about is how powerful people use powerful technology, just as that's been the issue since the dawn of civilization.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Halal 1

32 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah, I do research in AI and have been lucky enough to have started when AI capabilities were laughably limited, to now working on projects that are better than humans in certain capacities at complex tasks.

AI research is in a state of very rapid progress compared to where we were any time before 10 years ago. And importantly, it's reached a point where it's actually useful in lots of spaces rather than very niche areas. People will be increasingly interacting with AI technology.

That said, there are many huge open issues to getting to human-like cognitive capabilities. "AGI" if you want to use that term (I've come to hate it as a term though). So while progress is rapid and now good enough to impact people's lives, we're still a long way from biological intelligence.

This part of the article is on point:

Do not listen to charlatan tech bros or certain groups of philosophers either selling AI utopia or existential risk. Both are fantasy. The reality is there are many "mundane" issues that are in far more need of attention and the real worst case you have to worry about is how powerful people use powerful technology, just as that's been the issue since the dawn of civilization.

Yeah bruv but you’re not even taking into account what AI can do when you combine it with blockchain technology and quantum computing 

• Haha 1
  • True 2